Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Milk's impact on the planet dairy, soya, rice, oat and almond compared

We used to get gold top from Jersey cows.

2386019200000578-0-image-14_1417014898879.jpg

:confused:

All of the almond milk I buy is imported from Narnia via my wardrobe. It’s transported by unicorns but this isn’t exploitation because they are all members of a horizontally-organised anti-capitalist unicorn co-operative. In Narnia almonds require only magic pixie dust to grow, which they have an abundance of. It’s the best carbon-neutral, non-exploitative, resource-efficient drink out there and it tastes out of this world, which it quite literally is.

I know that doesn’t sound very likely, but it’s at least as true as all of these stories about supposedly ethical cow’s milk from the undisclosed farm locations round the corner.

All of the almond milk I buy is imported from Narnia via my wardrobe. It’s transported by unicorns but this isn’t exploitation because they are all members of a horizontally-organised anti-capitalist unicorn co-operative. In Narnia almonds require only magic pixie dust to grow, which they have an abundance of. It’s the best carbon-neutral, non-exploitative, resource-efficient drink out there and it tastes out of this world, which it quite literally is.

I know that doesn’t sound very likely, but it’s at least as true as all of these stories about supposedly ethical cow’s milk from the undisclosed farm locations round the corner.

Except the locations were disclosed in my case....

Last edited:
Coming from possibly the most hated person on here, I'll either take that as a compliment or with a large pinch of salt :thumbs:
I don't hate preachy vegans doing their virtue signalling. I pity them. Hate is such a negative emotion. I refuse to allow them to affect me negatively.
:hmm:
I suppose it's pointless asking for an apology as you seem incapable of self-reflection and growth.

I bought the block type violife. It's like very mild cheddar and melts convincingly. It's better than no cheese at all but it's not better than cheese.
I tried it today and it's pretty good. It's sort of different to mild cheese as it has a creamier taste that releases more slowly, but it's certainly palatable enough for me to start substituting in some cheese sandwiches/toasties.

Just leaving this here since it seems pertinent:

Can the world quench China’s bottomless thirst for milk?
When the People’s Republic of China was born in 1949, its national dairy herd was said to consist of a mere 120,000 cows. Yet today, China is the third-largest milk producer in the world, estimated to have around 13m dairy cows, and the average person has gone from barely drinking milk at all to consuming about 30kg of dairy produce a year.
That's awful news for the planet.

That's awful news for the planet.

It seems odd to me that it should be a culturally alien food that so many of the people are intolerant to, and that isn't generally seen as that much of a luxury in places where it is ubiquitous, that has taken on this symbolic meaning. Guess some of that might be explained in the article.

I also didn't know that 60% of the soya beans traded worldwide are bought up to create high-protein feed for livestock. :eek:

Ah, apparently the 1984 Olympic Games had a significant impact:

Graun Article said:
“It made a huge impression on people,” Jian recalled. “They were amazed to see how strong and tall foreigners were. They could jump twice as far, run twice as fast. They concluded that Americans ate a lot of beef and drank a lot of milk and Chinese people needed to catch up.”

Back
Top Bottom