Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Milk's impact on the planet dairy, soya, rice, oat and almond compared

I really don't get it. I'm sure most people who post here are conscious of and are limiting their negative impact on the planet, so why does it feel like a competition to discover who is most holy? :confused:

Well, you yourself said you compare your CO2 output with other people's - why do you do that? To get a measure of whether you are under or over some perceived fair limit, perhaps? Are you a medium consumer, a low-carbon emitter, etc, it's part of being aware of our relative impact I'd say, knowing where you come in the table, as it were.

You are clearly a pioneer in domestic energy production and low-carbon lifestyle, but don't forget most other people are far behind, and still consume and emit far more than their fair share in global terms. So taking action on something as ubiquitous and every day as industrial MILK is pretty fucking revolutionary, imo! It's potential for change is massive. For people who can't have wind turbines and locally grown veg, it's a way of heading in the same direction you have already walked, that's why it energises people.

Well, you yourself said you compare your CO2 output with other people's - why do you do that? To get a measure of whether you are under or over some perceived fair limit, perhaps? Are you a medium consumer, a low-carbon emitter, etc, it's part of being aware of our relative impact I'd say, knowing where you come in the table, as it were.

You are clearly a pioneer in domestic energy production and low-carbon lifestyle, but don't forget most other people are far behind, and still consume and emit far more than their fair share in global terms. So taking action on something as ubiquitous and every day as industrial MILK is pretty fucking revolutionary, imo! It's potential for change is massive. For people who can't have wind turbines and locally grown veg, it's a way of heading in the same direction you have already walked, that's why it energises people.
It's being judged that I can't abide. Especially so when those doing the judging have a far worse negative impact on the planet than some of those they are judging.

In the last couple of years, I've, at least, halved my meat consumption. In the same time, I've massively reduced my carbon footprint, but because I still drink milk, I'm a planet destroying monster, who wants to savagely kill all of the animals on the planet.
The mind boggles! :confused:

Yeah, but you have made relative claims about your impact relative to others when these things are really hard to nail down.

It's being judged that I can't abide. Especially so when those doing the judging have a far worse negative impact on the planet than some of those they are judging.

I think some people need to grab onto masts in a storm - the storm being the end of the world as we know it, and the mast any sensation that we as individuals just might have some kind of control over what is happening!

I try to be green mostly to assuage guilt, to be honest. I do have a sense of custodianship of the Earth, and all that high-falutin' Gaia shit! But in truth, I just feel guilty at having the luxuries of a modern rich person's life, so the greener I am, the less guilty I feel. And - most important - the more I can artificially improve my sense of green esteem by criticising the efforts of others, the less guilty I feel and the more reinforced is my self-image! It's like a life-buoy in a teeming sea of shit, is that particularly psychic mechanism! :thumbs:

either you do give a shit and have made changes as you've posted yourself or you don't and can ignore this thread
why the fuck are you posting so much shit, hypocrisy hunting and keep going round and round and coming back to it?? :confused:
you can just fuck off the thread if nothing to prove
And your input to the thread has been what, exactly? :D

this is simply not true. and provably so, just from reading the thread. you're really honestly seriously only being judged for being a dick online.
Coming from possibly the most hated person on here, I'll either take that as a compliment or with a large pinch of salt :thumbs:

I think some people need to grab onto masts in a storm - the storm being the end of the world as we know it, and the mast any sensation that we as individuals just might have some kind of control over what is happening!

I try to be green mostly to assuage guilt, to be honest. I do have a sense of custodianship of the Earth, and all that high-falutin' Gaia shit! But in truth, I just feel guilty at having the luxuries of a modern rich person's life, so the greener I am, the less guilty I feel. And - most important - the more I can artificially improve my sense of green esteem by criticising the efforts of others, the less guilty I feel and the more reinforced is my self-image! It's like a life-buoy in a teeming sea of shit, is that particularly psychic mechanism! :thumbs:

V honest post. :thumbs:

I often suspect we’re pissing in the wind with little individual actions and comparisons tbf, but small actions do
help when added up amongst enough people, at least a bit. And staying interested helps.

Yeah, but you have made relative claims about your impact relative to others when these things are really hard to nail down.
I know my impact is much lower than at least one of those people (no names, etc.) And I can prove it if anyone wants to wave footprints

Reasonable comment. You’ve been sniping from the sidelines, but that was totally unwarranted.
what do you mean? is sniping from the sidelines coming in late? or just commenting on the quality of the debate? there is so much to be talked about with regards to what we choose to eat and i'd rather it was conducted without rancour and wagon circling, but this place seems to drag everyone in to a fruitless slanging match and make dicks out of everyone
eta not just this place, much of online debate is a complete waste of time.

what do you mean? is sniping from the sidelines coming in late? or just commenting on the quality of the debate? there is so much to be talked about with regards to what we choose to eat and i'd rather it was conducted without rancour and wagon circling, but this place seems to drag everyone in to a fruitless slanging match and make dicks out of everyone

It’s getting late, I can check back later as to which posts gave me that perception. You’re certainly far from hated on these boards, though.

There is certainly a lot of sensitivity in these discussions and it comes from both sides.

You don't add to a debate, you only ever snipe from the sidelines.

If all that people want to do is belittle those who they think aren't as righteous as they are, then all online debate is a waste of time.
I attempted to provide an ethical source for milk, but I was ridiculed because one of the links didn't sell milk, despite the fact that I only did a quick search for ethical dairy.

Back
Top Bottom