Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester City 22/23

It's all silly championship-manager-on-cheat-mode football, but the first goal yesterday was impressive...

And, imo, a genuinely rare instance of a pro doing something a talented amateur could not replicate. To take the looping ball and hit it with such horizontal force is right tough to do, fair fucks. Especially 13 seconds in a FA Cup Final against your rivals :cool:

Last edited:
Brand City. FFS what's become of football?

Capitalism really started getting its teeth into football in 1991. City/UAE are just beating the Americans at their own game. Things'll get worse not better. Yanks will push for franchises sooner or later.

Have you been doing a Jack for four days?
It hasn't sunk in yet. Feeling of relief and a monkey off the back rather than mega success.
Not quite. Monday before I sobered up properly though.

I know what you mean. I'm one of those who places more importance on the PL. But it had to be done, as you say.

It's sad that your team winning the premier* European trophy is "a relief and a monkey off the back rather than mega success" and "had to be done,".

What happened to you? You've just completed a turnaround from league 1 to winning the Champion's League and it all seems a bit of an anti-climax?

*obv second most premier but let's go with the mainstream view for now.

It's sad that your team winning the premier* European trophy is "a relief and a monkey off the back rather than mega success" and "had to be done,".

What happened to you? You've just completed a turnaround from league 1 to winning the Champion's League and it all seems a bit of an anti-climax?

*obv second most premier but let's go with the mainstream view for now.
Probably the same thing as happened to some supporters of clubs that enjoyed a sustained period of success in the past, and might well happen to you and/or other fans of your club should the same happen there. As I said, I always enjoy the PL and the domestic cups more than the CL for some reason. And the climb back from that season in the third tier was great (as was that season in itself), and the last 15 years have been fantastic.

That said, I've always been in the miserable bastard category of supporter anyway, and I'm a bit subdued by personal stuff lately. Been a twat of a year so far. However, the 200,000-plus on the streets of Manchester Monday evening still seemed to be getting the 'buzz,' as did the cousins I've spoken to who were in Istanbul, 3/4 of them without tickets.

Last edited:
Manchester City soon to be stripped of the premier league titles for cheating. Enjoy it while it lasts I suppose.

Come back when you've begun to understand the first thing of what you think you're talking about.

I will be back when they get found guilty.

Next you will telling me that the rules were to keep the elite in its place.

Let me know how the current non-elite are supposed to compete with a state-owned entity.

I will be back when they get found guilty.

Next you will telling me that the rules were to keep the elite in its place.

Let me know how the current non-elite are supposed to compete with a state-owned entity.
I've imposed a rule on myself not to reply more than twice to posters who apparently have 'problems.'

Interesting srticle:

A first Champions League for a state-owned club is a historic landmark, most of all for a future that has long been coming. Such success is a statistical inevitability when you can invest as much as possible without any risk.

Money from the Gulf blockade countries is the dominant factor, since they are willing to pump in so much of it in all areas. It is within the gaps created by this dramatically expanding game that Western capitalists then exert their influence, picking off purchases where there is opportunity. You only have to look at the capital-raising deals Barcelona struck last summer to stay competitive, all from a world where they had their best executives and players picked off by City and Paris Saint-Germain respectively. La Liga itself pursued the deal with private equity group CVC to try and catch up with the Premier League, while Serie A has been looking at similar.

There is a growing theory within the game that the next step in this will be sovereign wealth funds seeking to strike similar deals. That could completely change the power balance between domestic competitions, as one league could suddenly see many of its clubs inflated to Premier League level.

It is also why so much hinges on the outcomes of the Premier League charges against Manchester City and the Spanish public prosecutor’s charges against Barcelona. Both could change the face of the game and bring chain reactions.

On the other side, a huge question is what Uefa’s stance on multi-club models is going to be. While much of the focus on this is regarding American consortiums, the greatest relevance could be with sovereign wealth funds and states.

Interesting srticle:

You could have had the decency to post something from a credible journalist instead of a glorified Twitter troll for one thing.

For another, the line you've bolded is, characteristically for the author, inaccurate, as the most cursory research would tell you.

You could have had the decency to post something from a credible journalist instead of a glorified Twitter troll for one thing.

For another, the line you've bolded is, characteristically for the author, inaccurate, as the most cursory research would tell you.

Is the premier league credible when they charged Man City?

I suppose not in your eyes.

Man City just received all this money from sponsors because they were worth so much more due to their lack of fans and historic success.

He's been the Independent's chief football writer since 2017. In 2019 he was nominated for sports journalist of the year at the British Journalism Awards and football journalist of the year at the Football Supporters' Association awards.

Delaney was also shortlisted for the Writer of the Year at the Football Supporters' Association awards in 2020 and 2021.

how about Barney?

He's been the Independent's chief football writer since 2017. In 2019 he was nominated for sports journalist of the year at the British Journalism Awards and football journalist of the year at the Football Supporters' Association awards.

Delaney was also shortlisted for the Writer of the Year at the Football Supporters' Association awards in 2020 and 2021.

A few awards from within a self-serving profession doesn't mean that he isn't a jumped-up Twitter troll. So may of them are. Compare the standard of sports journalism now to that of a few decades ago. It's all designed primarily to get clicks and a reaction.

Isn't the Independent primarily owned by the Saudis, or is it still the Russian oligarch?

A few awards from within a self-serving profession doesn't mean that he isn't a jumped-up Twitter troll. So may of them are. Compare the standard of sports journalism now to that of a few decades ago. It's all designed primarily to get clicks and a reaction.

Isn't the Independent primarily owned by the Saudis, or is it still the Russian oligarch?

I'm struggling to keep up with this ludicrous barrage of ad hominems.

Back
Top Bottom