Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

So you're admitting religion was a major factor in the violence in the North, but don't see how it's relevant to current terrorist attacks, because....
A protestant state for a protestant people: with armed protestant militias
Yeh hardly surprising there was a religious factor :facepalm:

So you're admitting religion was a major factor in the violence in the North, but don't see how it's relevant to current terrorist attacks, because....

Probably because the situation in NI was more explicitly political, with clearly-defined political aims and demands. In NI, politics was at the forefront, with religion being a significant backdrop. With Islamist extremism I would say it was the other way round, with religion playing first fiddle.

Probably because the situation in NI was more explicitly political, with clearly-defined political aims and demands. In NI, politics was at the forefront, with religion being a significant backdrop. With Islamist extremism I would say it was the other way round, with religion playing first fiddle.

Sure about that?
A DoD investigation found more than 100 civilians were killed during a U.S. airstrike in Mosul

Dozens of civilians killed in Syria airstrikes

ISIS claim responsibility whenever a Muslim gives someone a cold. But you're taking their word as to what motives suicide attackers who have little or no direct ties to them?

Before we continue, can I just ask you if there is anything I could say that would cause you to change your opinion on what the dominant motivation is?

So you're just going to ignore that then?

No. I'm just trying to lay some foundations for the conversation. To see if we are even on the same page here. To find out if a conversation will be at all productive.

To answer my own question, to convince me that politics rather than religion is the main motivation, I'd need a convincing explanation of (1) why ISIS would lie about their motivations, (2) why suicide bombers blow themselves up instead of planting a bomb and moving to a safe distance, (3) why there are rarely any demands attached to these attacks.

All of these indicate to me that the politics is second-place to religious fanaticism, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

Apparently, this is Andy Burnham's devastatingly lucid insight:
“Actions of governments can contribute, but let’s remember 9/11 happened before interventions anywhere. We’ve got to deal with what this is – a twisted ideology that has no connection to being representative of the Muslim religion.”

Christallfuckingmighty.

Andy Burnham thought funding the NHS via PFI was a great idea.

Why would anyone care what he thinks? He's obviously a neoliberal shitcunt.
Well the opportunist (and evidently not that intelligent) wanker was elected mayor...
Nothing new, I suppose.

nasty piece of work by Piers Morgan ...though ...shame shaming ...but then he always was ....why is he back in the UK anyway ...and back on TV ?

All I will say, is to remind people of the words of the Tennyson poem, "nature red in tooth and claw". There is decency and good heartedness but there is also an aspect of survival of the fittest. Christians are being ethnically cleansed from the Middle East because they are not strong. It is my observation that power gets used. It's exactly what Britain did in empire days, it had the machine gun so it could suppress the natives and conquer the country.

Back
Top Bottom