Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

60 minutes of it now on Channel 4 news including possibly the most inappropriate 'tribute' yet of loads of bikers revving their engines in the town square resulting in plenty of explosions from their engines. Even mawkish John Snow looked a bit weirded out by that. Barely a nod to other things happening in the world.

Interesting indeed.

One British citizen with a Libyan background who was placed on a control order – effectively house arrest – because of fears that he would join militant groups in Iraq said he was "shocked" that he was able to travel to Libya in 2011 shortly after his control order was lifted.

"I was allowed to go, no questions asked," said the source, who wished to remain anonymous.

He said he had met several other British-Libyans in London who also had control orders lifted in 2011 as the war against Gaddafi intensified, with the UK, France and the US carrying out air strikes and deploying special forces soldiers in support of the rebels.

"They didn't have passports, they were looking for fakes or a way to smuggle themselves across," said the source.

But within days of their control orders being lifted, British authorities returned their passports, he said.
Sounds like the, then, Home Secretary might well have had a role in that.

As we all know, some things are just best NOT said or broadcast.

Queenie asks/says... 'You were able to enjoy the concert before at least?

What kind of question is that? :facepalm:

To be fair, I probably wouldn't have any idea what to say to a victim either. Is there anything that isn't an absolute cliche that could be said? Or worse, sound patronizing?

Last edited:
To be fair, I probably wouldn't have any idea what to say to a victim either. Is there anything that isn't an absolute cliche that could be said? Or worse, sound patronizing?
if i was 90 and had known people who'd died violently myself i think i might think advance of some non-cringeworthy things to say

if i was 90 and had known people who'd died violently myself i think i might think advance of some non-cringeworthy things to say

I've never been particularly gifted with words. If the two of us ever find ourselves in that situation, I shall let you do the talking. I always figured just showing up was more than most people do anyway.

Corbyn to put the events in Manchester at the heart of a speech tomorrow, and link it in some way to foreign policy, he just can't help himself.

Makes me wonder whether given the father of the bomber was an anti Gadaffi activist why the concerns about the son were seemingly unaddressed
Newsnight just confirmed the bomber and father travelled to Libya during the liberation.

Corbyn to put the events in Manchester at the heart of a speech tomorrow, and link it in some way to foreign policy, he just can't help himself.

Of course he will link it to foreign policy, because it is linked to foreign policy and no-one doubts it. Obviously, it's an important speech for him not to fuck up. I don't particularly expect him to, but I'd have to concede it's not impossible. However, he's in a potentially very strong position, for reasons that have already been spelled out on these forums, and if it goes well it could deny the Tories their last face card.

Back
Top Bottom