Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

OK - there's :-

190. And fight in the Way of Allah those who fight you, but transgress not the limits. Truly, Allah likes not the transgressors. [This Verse is the first one that was revealed in connection with Jihad, but it was supplemented by another (V.9:36)].

Noble Quran - Translation of Sura Al-Baqarah

Seems a bit vague ...
This is from an early draft of Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights. In the end they went with plotline about Den Perry burning the club down. But there's an option to go back to this for the Hollywood film.

And in context with the scriptures which those cites actually sit next to?

That is the point, the fact is that those verses can be situated however you might wish them to be, specifically (temporally, geographically), but perhaps most pertinently - try to situate them outside of an Islamic historiography that largely exists far later that the alleged (and specificaally situated) situation of the verses.

Most religious adherents don't take the text literally, thankfully (almost said thank god there).

But I don't get why it's beyond criticism? Granted this isn't the thread for it.

Quran (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority".

Allah = god so anyone who believes in god is sound Shirley?

Jewish scripture states similar with regard to unbelievers, as does Christianity. It doesn't necessarily mean terror or war, it can (and did) equally mean standing apart from unbelievers.

"And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death."

(leviticus 20:10)

Mind you Jesus did respond with that 'he who is without sin' stuff.

I've always like Leviticus for the "mixed fibres" thing.

Quick, kill your gran for wearing her alpaca and sheepswool cardie!!

Most religious adherents don't take the text literally, thankfully (almost said thank god there).

But I don't get why it's beyond criticism? Granted this isn't the thread for it.

I don't see where anyone's tried to say that religious texts are beyond criticism. I also haven't seen anyone criticising the Quran, just quoting bits with a knowing look.

"And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

The cheeky bugger.

Fishing blatantly equates to cruising, there!

Oh absolutely. Also, a serial sex pest, taking advantage of his celebrity status. :mad:

Mt 8:2-3 "And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean. And Jesus put forth his hand and touched him"

Mt 8:14-15 "And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick with a fever. And he touched her"

Mt 19: 13-15 "There were there bought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them ... And he laid his hands on them, and departed thence"

If you want joy, real joy, wonderful joy;
Let Jesus come into your heart;
Let Jesus come into your heart.
Your sins He'll wash away,
Your night He'll turn to day,
Your life He'll make it over anew;
Let Jesus come into your heart.

I've just realised this is probably an inappropriate place to be making jokes. Nevertheless, I suppose it demonstrates how scripture can be taken out of context, so I guess it's relevant to the thread.

An interesting angle here.

'Sorted' by MI5: How UK government sent British-Libyans to fight Gaddafi

The British government operated an "open door" policy that allowed Libyan exiles and British-Libyan citizens to join the 2011 uprising that toppled Muammar Gaddafi even though some had been subject to counter-terrorism control orders, Middle East Eye can reveal.

Several former rebel fighters now back in the UK told MEE that they had been able to travel to Libya with "no questions asked" as authorities continued to investigate the background of a British-Libyan suicide bomber who killed 22 people in Monday's attack in Manchester.

Salman Abedi, 22, the British-born son of exiled dissidents who returned to Libya as the revolution against Gaddafi gathered momentum, is also understood to have spent time in the North African country in 2011 and to have returned there on several subsequent occasions

Back
Top Bottom