Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

Could be worse. They could be singing Morrisey's 'Rusholme Ruffians'.

a) that's a song by The Smiths and not Morrissey
b) there are probematic intersectional issues raised by the song.
c) Don't look back in anger is both mawkish and utterly incoherent and therefore a much better choice

Is it s bit wrong to ask when the BBC is going to cover anything else? I worked from home yesterday and had the news channel on all day. There was 99% coverage of this. It must be a journos nightmare trying to dig out fresh angles. Even BBC London news was virtually completely about it, with some rather tenuous links.

We need to talk about what inspired Salman Abedi's attack on Manchester

Some salient points that need to be repeated and often:

...The ultimate inspiration for such people is Wahhabism, the puritanical, fanatical and regressive type of Islam dominant in Saudi Arabia, whose ideology is close to that of al-Qaeda and Isis. ...

...The real causes of “radicalisation” have long been known, but the government, the BBC and others seldom if ever refer to it because they do not want to offend the Saudis or be accused of anti-Islamic bias It is much easier to say, piously but quite inaccurately, that Isis and al-Qaeda and their murderous foot soldiers “have nothing to do with Islam”. This has been the track record of US and UK governments since 9/11. They will look in any direction except Saudi Arabia when seeking the causes of terrorism...

Is it s bit wrong to ask when the BBC is going to cover anything else? I worked from home yesterday and had the news channel on all day. There was 99% coverage of this. It must be a journos nightmare trying to dig out fresh angles. Even BBC London news was virtually completely about it, with some rather tenuous links.
yeh. the way to remedy this is to use a different news source.

next.

In the US and UK the risk from white supremacists is about on a par I believe. To hear you talk you'd think only Muslims commit terrorist attacks in the UK. Remind me who killed the last MP to be killed by a terrorist...

No-one here says that regressive versions of Islam aren't a problem, but there's an issue if you see that as a unique terrorist-creating problem, and there are big questions over what the state can or should do to intervene without us all coming under suspicion and experiencing repression, and also without generating further counter-productive hostility.
Nobody's generating hostility by stating a fact either, and nor did anybody say there are no terrorist attacks carried out by others.

I'd put money on the next big one being the work of another Jihadi rather than anybody else, though.

Even BBC London news was virtually completely about it, with some rather tenuous links.

The BBC News website currently has this on their main Manchester attack breaking news page:

Celtic Football Club have issued a statement about safety arrangements ahead of their Scottish Cup final game against Aberdeen on Saturday. It says that "with absolute respect to Aberdeen Football Club, we would not wish to pre-judge the outcome of the Scottish Cup final in any way" but goes on to say that should the team win, there will not be any supporters' event at Celtic Park.

Sorry for the link, but apparently this all happened because of you know.... POT

Is marijuana a factor in jihadi murders? | Daily Mail Online
Oh my, oh my...
Potheads: DR MAX PEMBERTON asks if marijuana is a factor in jihadi murders as he says the liberal elite who push for looser drug laws should be shamed
Was he a psychopath? Was he evil? ....I do not know the answer but I do know.... as the Mail reports today, that according to his friends Abedi was a frequent and heavy cannabis smoker.
Branes will be spoken. :facepalm:

Can't believe I'm seeing this bullshit here. Have you ever met any Muslims?
It's easy for me to be rude without thinking on a web forum, it was not my intention to offend. Even when there is no terrorism Islam seems pretty dismal. In London I see self segregation and it feels like the U.K.'s been colonised by an alien culture and religion. Before the 9/11 attacks multiculturalism was great, all lovely, people getting on together, racism and the BNP had been defeated. Then militant Islam, Jihad, enemy within. An alien religion and some that despises the West, wants nothing to do with British culture, and it is a big affront. I respect and appreciate and admire all Muslims and I would never do one any harm. But is it something to celebrate, communities having the right to live completely separate lives within the UK shared areas just gradually being taken over, with voluntary segregation?

It's easy for me to be rude without thinking on a web forum, it was not my intention to offend. Even when there is no terrorism Islam seems pretty dismal. In London I see self segregation and it feels like the U.K.'s been colonised by an alien culture and religion. Before the 9/11 attacks multiculturalism was great, all lovely, people getting on together, racism and the BNP had been defeated. Then militant Islam, Jihad, enemy within. An alien religion and some that despises the West, wants nothing to do with British culture, and it is a big affront. I respect and appreciate and admire all Muslims and I would never do one any harm. But is it something to celebrate, communities having the right to live completely separate lives within the UK shared areas just gradually being taken over, with voluntary segregation?

Only white people ever talk about racism having been defeated.

As for British muslims, they are not a homogeonous blob. They're all individual people. You can't talk about 'them' all doing this that or the other because everyone's ideas and behaviour are different.

There was once an alien religion which took over the UK though. It consumed and repurposed local culture so its followers could better subjugate the people. The name of that religion was not Islam.

Last edited:

It would have been easier just to say 'no'.

it is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than open your gob wide and prove yourself one.

Nobody's generating hostility by stating a fact either, and nor did anybody say there are no terrorist attacks carried out by others.

I'd put money on the next big one being the work of another Jihadi rather than anybody else, though.
As 99.6% is suicide bombers are Muslim that's a pretty safe bet :)

Even when there is no terrorism Islam seems pretty dismal.

What makes it more dismal than Christianity?

Are you going to demand that born-again and evangelical Christians integrate themselves into the mainstream non-church-going society? Their homophobia and 'pro-life' stances offend me tbh. What's with the going to church and praying all the time? Do they want nothing to do with British culture?

I really don't think you've met and spent time with many Muslims. It really shows that you don't think of them as individual people with differing opinions, just as a sort of amorphous mass.

Back
Top Bottom