Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

He seems to have conveniently forgotten about Jo Cox with his line about 'Politicians tell us they are unafraid, but they are never the victims'. There are many other examples down the years too, here and elsewhere.

Really puerile comment about what Andy Burnham said too.

You're right about Jo Cox. That said, I find myself nodding at his comments about how politicians do seem to talk some utter shite at times like these. People have died. All the Churchillian drivel doesn't really address people's fears.

I’m an emergency planner. Manchester shows we need new ways to heal
Lucy Easthope
Perhaps ‘business as usual’ should no longer be the top priority after such an attack. As the terror threat rises, people need space to admit how much this hurts

I’m an emergency planner. Manchester shows we need new ways to heal | Lucy Easthope

Powerful article by an very experienced emergency planner asserting that "business as usual, "we will prevail" etc are not always the best first response and that anger, a time for mourning, is necessary.

Also, that the 'spontaneous' vigil, etc is often anything but.

Powerful article by an very experienced emergency planner asserting that "business as usual, "we will prevail" etc are not always the best first response and that anger, a time for mourning, is necessary.

The last thing we need to grant these perpetrators are days of national mourning. Treat it like a bus crash - people who aren't involved don't need to get involved.

I wasn't jumping to conclusions, I'm just not surprised it was yet another muslim fucktard doing this kind of shit.
Well, statistically speaking you had a pretty good chance of being right, but it's still jumping to conclusions in my view. Is "being right" so important that it's worth reinforcing a mindset that says "Terrorist = Muslim"?

I'm not a fan of empty gestures, but the vigil yesterday seemed like the right thing to do. Not mawkish, just an opportunity for people to express how they felt by coming together.

Anyone who believes in a fake magic man in the sky is a fucktard.
I don't believe in fake magic men in the sky, but I no longer believe that anyone else who does is a fucktard. It's an aspect of human nature to look for meaning beyond the mundane reality of life, and it's inevitable that, for a large chunk of the human race, that meaning will be found in the notion of a deity. To simply write off that entire slice of humanity as "fucktards" is...well, it's a bit of a fucktard thing to do, IMO.

Anyone who believes in a fake magic man in the sky is a fucktard.
I think you missed the point a bit, I wasn't objecting to the fucktard bit. Calling him a Muslim fucktard reinforces the association between Islam and terrorism. And whilst there is a definite association, the fact is there's 1.6 billion Muslims in the world, the vast, VAST, majority of whom are as much a terrorist as you or I.

I don't believe in fake magic men in the sky, but I no longer believe that anyone else who does is a fucktard. It's an aspect of human nature to look for meaning beyond the mundane reality of life, and it's inevitable that, for a large chunk of the human race, that meaning will be found in the notion of a deity. To simply write off that entire slice of humanity as "fucktards" is...well, it's a bit of a fucktard thing to do, IMO.
... and whether or not the cunt who did this calls himself a Muslim (looks like he almost certainly did), this wasn't an act inspired by theology.

As an aside, I was utterly fucking appalled at the picture on yesterdays heinous evening standard - badly pixellated bodies and blood trails where bodies had been moved. Utterly disgraceful, exploitative given many people were unaware of the situation with their loved ones. So I did wrote one of them complaints to the Independent Press Standards Organisation / IPSO about it

Appears that the Standard is not a member so the IPSO cannot do fuck all about it

I'm not a fan of empty gestures, but the vigil yesterday seemed like the right thing to do. Not mawkish, just an opportunity for people to express how they felt by coming together.

I agree, the tone was just right as well, Longfella' etc.

As an aside, I was utterly fucking appalled at the picture on yesterdays heinous evening standard - badly pixellated bodies and blood trails where bodies had been moved. Utterly disgraceful, exploitative given many people were unaware of the situation with their loved ones. So I did wrote one of them complaints to the Independent Press Standards Organisation / IPSO about it

Appears that the Standard is not a member so the IPSO cannot do fuck all about it
That is because the standard has no standards

... and whether or not the cunt who did this calls himself a Muslim (looks like he almost certainly did), this wasn't an act inspired by theology.
I quite agree. It's an act inspired by hate, and few if any theologies are based on hate. The hate comes from circumstance, and the marginalisation and monstering of Muslims in general creates circumstances that make it possible for people vulnerable to manipulation to be groomed into hate, and to do terrible things with it. In the name of theology, but, as you say, with nothing at all to do with that theology, beyond after-the-fact attempts to comb scripture for excuses to do it.

And Christian/Jewish/whatever belief systems are as capable of being misused in that way as Islamic ones.

Is anyone generally surprised it was another muslim doing this shit again?
This is just a pointless line of bile. Was the war in Ireland all about 'another Catholic/Protestant doing this shit again'? If you want a literal answer, no I wasn't surprised, but you don't just turn your brain off at that point. The person(s) who did this are entirely responsible for what they have done. But the background isn't some fucking religious war or 'battle of civilisations', it's money, power, oil and centuries of geo-politics. And to be clear, that background doesn't go one inch towards justifying mass murder (on either side, fwiw).

Is anyone generally surprised it was another muslim doing this shit again?
No. But I don't see any benefit in using that probability to simply reinforce the link between the ideas of Muslims and terrorism. The only thing it gives you is odds you'd happily bet on, but it takes away far more.

In the 1980s, I was on a Tube train when a young black man got on, grabbed the necklace of the woman sitting by the door and pulled it off her, then jumped back off the train before the doors closed. For a long time after that, every time I saw a young black man get on a train or bus, my immediate reaction was "who's he going to rob?". It is easy to slip into that trap and worse, and there are plenty of examples of unpleasantness where people make the assumption that, because one (in this case) young black man commits a robbery, every single young black man represents a threat. You are at risk of falling into that trap.

And, 30 years later, quite a few of them spent in London and travelling on tubes and buses, I have never seen anyone, young black man or not, commit a similar robbery. I have, however, seen thousands of young black men getting on and off those tubes and buses, completely without incident.

Back
Top Bottom