Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

oh do fuck off ...

troops on the streets .. mobilisation of the police force

it a crazy idea and clearly in retrospect to the reactions to previous campaigns of theorist activity in this country
an over reaction...

plus maybe a cynical move within a month of an election

"strong and stable"

:hmm:

DAjFYvNXsAAV4K1.jpg

if you are unfazed with the presence of soldiers on the street of the country you live in..

so be it

Did I say that? But there's no denying that what happened yesterday is a bigger deal than the 1996 bombing, which actually didn't even destroy half a street in Manchester.

What, so Manchester used to be twice the size it is now?

Since we're playing a game of wilfully obtuse pedantry, this seems to assume that there hasn't been any urban development in Manchester for over a quarter of a century: no Trafford Park, no Salford Quays, no rebuilding the Arndale Centre, no Deansgate Lock, no Commonwealth Games, no Urbis, no whatever the fuck has happened to Hulme...

Did I say that? But there's no denying that what happened yesterday is a bigger deal than the 1996 bombing, which actually didn't even destroy half a street in Manchester.

As a single event perhaps, but the death toll also needs to be put in a context of a decade that has seen relatively low levels of political violence by non-state actors in Britain.

As a single event perhaps, but the death toll also needs to be put in a context of a decade that has seen relatively low levels of political violence by non-state actors in Britain.

I don't understand the point you're making. Are you saying that the zero deaths caused by the IRA bomb should be adjusted for inflation?

Odd that so much info is coming from US officials.
"US officials say it was a suicide bomding"
"US officials have named the attacker as Salman Abedi"
What's all that about then?
Donald Trump has got a big gob. Apparently America released the name against the wishes of British intelligence which is a bit of a kick in the teeth. (Guardian reports).

I was angry and then I saw a photo of the alleged attacker, and I thought, he's just a kid whose life has been ruined along with a load of other people. What a tragedy.

I hope it was a one off.

The use of bolts etc is just horrible, there should be some kind of fucking terrorist Geneva convention that bans it.

I don't understand the point you're making. Are you saying that the zero deaths caused by the IRA bomb should be adjusted for inflation?

No, I'm suggesting that dealing with these clowns, however indiscriminate their violence, doesn't require the army to be deployed on the streets. In the circumstances, being sceptical of why this is happening seems entirely reasonable.

No, I'm suggesting that dealing with these clowns, however indiscriminate their violence, doesn't require the army to be deployed on the streets. In the circumstances, being sceptical of why this is happening seems entirely reasonable.

Which is a fair point, but I don't see how it relates to your previous comment.

Yeah I'm really sceptical. It feels cheap to be so but I am. Also part of me is shouting "bit fucking late" although I know that predicting and preventing terror attacks must be very difficult.

I dunno, maybe it's better safe than sorry re: army deployed. Quite what use they will actually be, given that the last time there was a major terror attack in this country the only person to die afterwards in a terrorist related incident was a blameless Brazilian electrician.

I reckon there's some sort of terrorism alert at the moment anyway. Canary Wharf has been crawling with armed plod the last few days (before Manchester bomb) anyway which is unusual.

I dunno, maybe it's better safe than sorry re: army deployed. Quite what use they will actually be, given that the last time there was a major terror attack in this country the only person to die afterwards in a terrorist related incident was a blameless Brazilian electrician.

Did we ever find out whether it was militarised cops or undercover squaddies who shot him?

My recollection was that it was a (poorly coordinated) mix of the two who fucked it up.

The "plan" is to get the squaddies to stand around looking bored outside parliment and other key points so freeing armed police to wander about reassuring the public:hmm:.

Because nohing makes me feel safer than a couple of coppers with guns :hmm:.
Trouble is these jihadi wankers are into mass random murder the provos really werent

Did we ever find out whether it was militarised cops or undercover squaddies who shot him?

My recollection was that it was a (poorly coordinated) mix of the two who fucked it up.

Survellience soldier went for a pee at the wrong moment and everything went to shit afterwards.

I think the troops being deployed is a step to keep the public calm/feel secure.

It may be a step to prevent vigilantly justice by groups of knuckle dragging thugs out to attack/kill Muslims.

It may be because cuts to the police force mean they are unable to properly do their job.

Yep. Preparations for the Champions League mean areas of Cardiff already look like a militarised zone, they're likely bringing coppers in from elsewhere for this. Plus all the other bank holiday and half term events going on. Deploying soldiers is a way of covering up the gaps while looking "strong".

Yep. Preparations for the Champions League mean areas of Cardiff already look like a militarised zone, they're likely bringing coppers in from elsewhere for this. Plus all the other bank holiday and half term events going on. Deploying soldiers is a way of covering up the gaps while looking "strong".

Wonder whether Labour will make this point during the next few weeks. Would be a big gamble.

Wonder whether Labour will make this point during the next few weeks. Would be a big gamble.
It would be the height of folly. An open goal for the Tories to say we're keeping the country safe and Labour are arguing against this - and y u no sport are troops

Morrissey took the opportunity to be a complete dick about things as usual, somewhat dribbling around the edges of what he would like to say.

Celebrating my birthday in Manchester as news of the Manchester Arena bomb broke. The anger is monumental.
For what reason will this ever stop?

Theresa May says such attacks "will not break us", but her own life is lived in a bullet-proof bubble, and she evidently does not need to identify any young people today in Manchester morgues. Also, "will not break us" means that the tragedy will not break her, or her policies on immigration. The young people of Manchester are already broken - thanks all the same, Theresa. Sadiq Khan says "London is united with Manchester", but he does not condemn Islamic State - who have claimed responsibility for the bomb. The Queen receives absurd praise for her 'strong words' against the attack, yet she does not cancel today's garden party at Buckingham Palace - for which no criticism is allowed in the Britain of free press. Manchester mayor Andy Burnham says the attack is the work of an "extremist". An extreme what? An extreme rabbit?
In modern Britain everyone seems petrified to officially say what we all say in private. Politicians tell us they are unafraid, but they are never the victims. How easy to be unafraid when one is protected from the line of fire. The people have no such protections.

Fuck off with your 'what we all say in private'.

Back
Top Bottom