Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

Yeah, I know. I'm not suggesting that this change in the alert level is wholly cynical, but I'm sure the decision to escalate has been made a little easier by what happened over the weekend, politically.
Suspect we broadly agree. The timing stinks but I still have hope that the Westminster mob don't have full sway over how these events roll, naive possibly.

After my post about a helpful homeless man removing nails from a girl's legs and face I have been informed by someone who works in the NHS that you shouldn't do that because there could be severed blood vessels and removing an embedded object could cause serious bleeding or worse.

Sure. But in this country we are not at all used to seeing soldiers on the streets. It is going to set a certain 'tone' for as long as it goes on and a cynical person might think that this atmosphere would possibly be helpful to selling 'strong and stable leadership'.

Yes. I'd put myself slightly above average in terms of cynicism, and I think that. I also think it possible that TM has acted illegally, because the wording in the definition of "critical" looks like it implies that there is positive evidence of a specific threat. I would suppose that she's probably shielded by the Official Secrets Act, though.

Sure. But in this country we are not at all used to seeing soldiers on the streets. It is going to set a certain 'tone' for as long as it goes on and a cynical person might think that this atmosphere would possibly be helpful to selling 'strong and stable leadership'.

If they really think that, then they are even more incompetent than is known.

After my post about a helpful homeless man removing nails from a girl's legs and face I have been informed by someone who works in the NHS that you shouldn't do that because there could be severed blood vessels and removing an embedded object could cause serious bleeding or worse.
Yeh, they could be blocking a vein or artery, stopping you bleeding out, and removing it could make matters worse.

Did it ?

Just realised that I have gone from being depressed and sad about this attack to being angry. In fact very angry.

Do you not think that soldiers on the streets might cause more people to vote for Mrs Strong and stable let me steer you through these choppy waters May?

difficult one to answer - it could have the effect you suggest, and i wouldn't bet against it, or it could go the other way. up until very recently in Ireland, the Army did the armed protection work for cash deliveries because there are/were so few armed Gardai - whenever i went to Ireland and saw armed soldiers (to my mind) doing a basic policing task, i assumed i'd got the wrong flight and landed, not in a first world European state, but in some tin pot banana republic with coups happening every fortnight.

i'm very much looking forward to OP DENY SUMMER, rearanging holidays could be a bit of a pain, but if some duty were to occur that prevented me from fitting a new bathroom during half-term, i'd meet it with stoical patriotism...

Including this fucking tragedy and 7/7, the death toll of political violence by non-state actors in Britain over the past decade has been less than 100 lives - less than 1 per month. Leave these two events out and its a handful of people over a ten-year period: each death a personal tragedy no doubt, but is this really the basis for calling a state of emergency?

Including this fucking tragedy and 7/7, the death toll of political violence by non-state actors in Britain over the past decade has been less than 100 lives - less than 1 per month. Leave these two events out and its a handful of people over a ten-year period: each death a personal tragedy no doubt, but is this really the basis for calling a state of emergency?

Careful! Next thing you know we'll be putting this in some sort of perspective!
:eek:

It is really not normal this 5,000 soldiers on the streets of the UK that's just been announced.
Operation Temperer is a newly devised thing never implemented before.
It says here that soldiers haven't been put into civilian areas of the UK as a response to terrorist threats since 2003, when Blair sent tanks to guard some airports.

Isn't it quite possible that the government and MI5 etc are aware of further planned attacks that they aren't able to tell us about that leads them to believe that another attack is imminent?

Yes it is. But is deploying 5,000 soldiers the usual response to thinking there's an imminent attack planned? It's not, because loads of plots have been stopped in recent years without this new measure being triggered.
Previously they've deployed tanks at heathrow. It's mostly a spectacle designed to make us both feel scared and reassured that the politicians are doing something about it. Election campaigning basically.

The Guardian understands a national police mobilisation has also been triggered, being run by the National Police Coordination Centre. The centre will find extra officers from around the UK - for example from county forces in mainly rural areas - to be deployed to sites in Manchester, London and other big cities.

The decision to raise the terrorist threat level to critical – the highest – can lead to extra officers being drafted in to patrol areas assessed as vulnerable to attack, under mutual arrangements between the 43 police in England and Wales.

So, lots of rural police forces arriving in cities, bit like the big demos.

so martial law before an election

strong and stable leadership

:hmm:

ffs the IRA blew up half of Manchester.. without troops being on the streets in the aftermath

Back
Top Bottom