Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

Or it might just be a moment's anger expressed on the internet amongst friends. And that's fucking it.

"I do not mean to disparage your anger" post 566 (apologies for fucking up multiquote)

But you posed an interesting question and dilemma. I don't see why I'm being slated for trying to answer you politely. Urban eh?

You're one of the best posters on urban. But from my pov you're looking for a scrap, I don't know why. We don't seem to disagree. Let's move on in amity but speaking less French.
No, honestly I'm not looking for a scrap. God I've got better things to do with my life than scrap on urban. I've just got a crap internet connection, that's all, and it makes me irritable. Soz.
Et bon soirée. :D

That roar of spontaneous rousing noise from the crowd when he reads the bit about Emiline Pankhurst being from Manchester.
:)

Article in Guardian published at 7.45pm:
"The joint terrorism analysis centre, which is housed in MI5 headquarters and brings together the UK agencies and police dealing with counter-terrorism, is not advising that the threat level be raised as a result of the Manchester attack from “severe”, the fourth highest ranking.... Moving it on to the fifth and highest level would only be done if the police and intelligence services feared another attack was imminent."

Maybe they think there's a risk of reprisal attacks? That's one risk that will have increased.

Maybe they think there's a risk of reprisal attacks? That's one risk that will have increased.

No idea, though it is odd that the statement specifically says that they are replacing the police officers normally seen around Parliament, train stations etc.

Perhaps urbs more familiar with France would confirm this, but I always thought Vigipirate patrols were in addition to normal police response? I am 99% sure that the previous activation of the armed forces in London (edit: after it had been raised to critical) were "in addition to" rather than "replace"

Last edited:
Article in Guardian published at 7.45pm:
"The joint terrorism analysis centre, which is housed in MI5 headquarters and brings together the UK agencies and police dealing with counter-terrorism, is not advising that the threat level be raised as a result of the Manchester attack from “severe”, the fourth highest ranking.... Moving it on to the fifth and highest level would only be done if the police and intelligence services feared another attack was imminent."

"not advising" is code for "i have to write an article but i don't know what's going on"

Opportunitatem cape, as no-one actually ever says.

I get the cynicism, understandable. Its also possible that they have due reason, he worked/prayed at a mosque known for attracting radicals yet he slipped through the net, perhaps their actual targets have gone off-grid. They've been 'interviewing' his brother, ISIS have been stirring it with their press releases predicibly suggesting multiple bombs. 'Be on your guard because this could be about to pop' seems fair in any of the above circumstances. The political timing stinks but children have been massacred and i'd hope there are enough decent folk about, i'm sure there are.

No idea, though it is odd that the statement specifically says that they are replacing the police officers normally seen around Parliament, train stations etc.

Perhaps urbs more familiar with France would confirm this, but I always thought Vigipirate patrols were in addition to normal police response? I am 99% sure that the previous activation of the armed forces in London were "in addition to" rather than "replace"
Tory grandstanding as they see the election momentum moving away from them

I get the cynicism, understandable. Its also possible that they have due reason, he worked/prayed at a mosque known for attracting radicals yet he slipped through the net, perhaps their actual targets have gone off-grid. They've been 'interviewing' his brother, ISIS have been stirring it with their press releases predicibly suggesting multiple bombs. 'Be on your guard because this could be about to pop' seems fair in any of the above circumstances.

Yeah, I know. I'm not suggesting that this change in the alert level is wholly cynical, but I'm sure the decision to escalate has been made a little easier by what happened over the weekend, politically.

TM seems to have given the reason in her speech outside number 10.

it is a possibility we cannot ignore that there is a wider group of individuals linked to this attack.

So, it's the precautionary principle, basically.

TM seems to have given the reason in her speech outside number 10.

So, it's the precautionary principle, basically.
Sure. But in this country we are not at all used to seeing soldiers on the streets. It is going to set a certain 'tone' for as long as it goes on and a cynical person might think that this atmosphere would possibly be helpful to selling 'strong and stable leadership'.

Back
Top Bottom