Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

I've found myself wondering if the audience and the nature of the performance - vaguely sexualised post-disney pop for (pre)teens - somehow contributed to the perpetrators rationale by offending their puritanism. A reference to the venue as 'shameless' in Daesh's statement suggested as much, but then went on to describe the children they've killed as 'crusaders', which just leaves me feeling ridiculous for even trying to understand their world view.

I've wondered also about why that particular gig was targeted.

The audience going to the gig in Birmingham last week was young kids/kids with their parents, they were overwhelmingly working class and multi racial.

Just as gay men offended the warped sensibilities of the murderer in Miami last year you do have to consider if it was the idea of young people, presumably including Muslim youth, coming together to listen to 'sexualised' music was the reason this gig was picked.

As you say, trying to understand the motives of someone who has drifted so far from any basic system of moral values that they can do something so barbaric is probably pointless but their Stone Age puritanism and desire to keep 'their' community untainted by western culture would in their eyes make this a legitimate target

The audience going to the gig in Birmingham last week was young kids/kids with their parents, they were overwhelmingly working class and multi racial.

Just as gay men offended the warped sensibilities of the murderer in Miami last year you do have to consider if it was the idea of young people, presumably including Muslim youth, coming together to listen to 'sexualised' music was the reason this gig was picked.

As you say, trying to understand the motives of someone who has drifted so far from any basic system of moral values that they can do something so barbaric is probably pointless but their Stone Age puritanism and desire to keep 'their' community untainted by western culture would in their eyes make this a legitimate target
Yeh. It's perhaps better if you see this for what it is, a provocation, than simply an end in itself. Don't know why you bring in stone age puritanism and untainted communities when they have no bearing on the matter at hand. George Bush's they hate us for our freedom in a fresh bottle.

There are people shouting about how this should be seen as a targeted attack on young women (because of the singer's fanbase). It's not helpful that stuff, probably could've been any concert or any crowded place.
Yeh. Well it almost certainly was targeted on young women as the easiest way to provoke the reaction they desire. Yeh, misogyny will have been part of the motivation, but as I say, the attack will have sought to produce a response.

Yeh. It's perhaps better if you see this for what it is, a provocation, than simply an end in itself. Don't know why you bring in stone age puritanism and untainted communities when they have no bearing on the matter at hand. George Bush's they hate us for our freedom in a fresh bottle.

Dunno if you watched this the other day: Isis: The Origins of Violence - On Demand - All 4

Hard going, but opens eyes.

there was a screenshot of some sort of ISIS statement with some shit about "the shameless arena" being targeted but don't feel inclined to give it thread room

There are people shouting about how this should be seen as a targeted attack on young women (because of the singer's fanbase). It's not helpful that stuff, probably could've been any concert or any crowded place.
part of the youth aspect of the victims gets people reaching for explanations. With grownups well, its tragic but we all know risks even if we don't ever think its going to be me or my mum or my mate. Somewhere in the back of your head you think about risks and you certainly understand mortality will come. thats what the delivery man kept saying this morning, 'kids..just kids..how could they know?'. I suppose we'll never get any sense of why this gig cos the rotten prick blew himself up as well but I don't think targetting children, females and males, was a coincidence. Maybe a target of opportunity. Who can say.

Indeed. I think it's probably crediting the perpetrator with an unwarranted degree of sophistication to assume their target was anything more than a random bunch of innocent people.

Yeah, trying to guess at why this particular concert is just not going to yield anything useful i think.
Seems the bloke who blew himself up was 22. Who knows maybe he'd watched lots of Ariane Grande's sexy videos on youtube (I'd never heard of her till today).

Last edited:
So sad. I met a bunch of teenyboppers off to the 3Arena in Dublin on Saturday all dressed up and I couldnt help asking them who was performing. 'Ariana Grande!' they shrieked in excitement. I asked if she was a bit like Rhianna, and they said yes but better. I wished them a great night. It's horrific to think of innocent kids like this and their families being killed or injured in such an attack.:(

Indeed. I think it's probably crediting the perpetrator with an unwarranted degree of sophistication to assume their target was anything more than a random bunch of innocent people.

So don't speculate. Unless you're going to speculate it was an idiot who could have picked anywhere, that's fine.

Back
Top Bottom