Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

This just breaks my heart.
When my daughter was younger I trusted someone to take care of her at a concert in Kentish Town. They fucked off and left her stranded. She was very young at the time. Had to send my partner to find her. Can't describe the panic I felt until my partners call saying she was with him.
Terrible...

The worrying thing about the Manchester attack is that if it does turn out to ISIS related, it marks a huge jump in effective target choice by this group. Most radical Islamic terrorist attacks in the UK have either failed or have resulted in a relatively small death toll. Even the July 7th attack had a surprisingly low death toll (57?) when you consider it involved four bombs on the London transport system at rush hour. If that attack had been better planned or organised it could have lead to a death toll in the hundreds.

Attacking the unexpecting public in usual places was the mark of Palestine extremists (not saying that this is in any way directly related to the Palestine conflict) buses, concerts, night clubs are all preferred targets, and ISIS related groups in Europe picked up on that and targetted events like football matches and concerts. I'm just really concerned that this is an escalation, not an isolated incident.

Paris.

The worrying thing about the Manchester attack is that if it does turn out to ISIS related, it marks a huge jump in effective target choice by this group. Most radical Islamic terrorist attacks in the UK have either failed or have resulted in a relatively small death toll. Even the July 7th attack had a surprisingly low death toll (57?) when you consider it involved four bombs on the London transport system at rush hour. If that attack had been better planned or organised it could have lead to a death toll in the hundreds.

Attacking the unexpecting public in usual places was the mark of Palestine extremists (not saying that this is in any way directly related to the Palestine conflict) buses, concerts, night clubs are all preferred targets, and ISIS related groups in Europe picked up on that and targetted events like football matches and concerts. I'm just really concerned that this is an escalation, not an isolated incident.
if this was daesh then clearly not planned by anyone familiar with similar attacks in e.g. iraq over the past 14 years, where 'double tap' bombings so routine. this isn't an escalation, being as 22 dead out of a crowd of apparently 21,000 is rather fewer than might have died in a similar attack in iraq: it is a message to voters many of whom i suspect will prefer may to corbyn in her handling of incidents of this sort.

I heard a mum and daughter on the radio who'd gone up from Worcester, and another pair from Prestatyn, as well as a couple of lads from Newcastle.

It's just awful.
this is what people mean when they talk about an atrocity. not some namby-pamby car and gun assault in westminster, but a vicious and calculated attack on children and young people targeted as the most vulnerable, simply enjoying a night out - for many victims, no doubt one of the first of many nights out anticipated. :mad:

this is what people mean when they talk about an atrocity. not some namby-pamby car and gun assault in westminster, but a vicious and calculated attack on children and young people targeted as the most vulnerable, simply enjoying a night out - for many victims, no doubt one of the first of many nights out anticipated. :mad:

BB1's bezza was due to go tonight (and spend the rest of the week up there visiting relatives).

13 year old girls.

They are all very shocked as for the first time their imagined invincibility has taken a knock as the twisted bastard was targeting them.

Dreadful beyond words.

What is the actual point of May visiting the city? Stay in London, we don't fucking need you up here.
I would have thought that was obvious, it gives her the opportunity to appear statesman/womanlike and caring and with this in mind, someone just shared this on fb:

Two reporters on The Telegraph live feed from Downing Street just overheard discussing how last night's events will help May's campaign. And how it won't look good on Corbyn because "y'know, who's been branded as a terrorist sympathiser?"

They didn't know their mics were on.
Live feed cut and now deleted.....

Personally I suspect it won't help her that much as incompetence, once identified as a trait maybe a difficult thing to shrug off.

Aye, there will no doubt be lots of false alarms over the next few days - hopefully nothing more for real.

There was a radio report that said it was most unlikely the perpetrator (the suicide bomber) could have been working alone, as constructing a large bomb is a complex process. So the Manchester police will now be after any collaborators.

The worrying thing about the Manchester attack is that if it does turn out to ISIS related, it marks a huge jump in effective target choice by individuals radicalised by this group. Most extremist terrorist attacks in the UK have either failed or have resulted in a relatively small death toll. Even the July 7th attack had a surprisingly low death toll (57?) when you consider it involved four bombs on the London transport system at rush hour. If that attack had been better planned or organised it could have lead to a death toll in the hundreds.

Attacking the unexpecting public in usual places was the mark of Palestine extremists (not saying that this is in any way directly related to the Palestine conflict) buses, concerts, night clubs are all preferred targets. ISIS related groups in Europe picked up on that and began targetted events like football matches and concerts. I'm just really concerned that this is an escalation, not an isolated incident.
And if you are not seeking to get a bomb into a secure environment, it presumably takes less planning and is 'easier' to do. Very depressing. :(

And if you are not seeking to get a bomb into a secure environment, it presumably takes less planning and is 'easier' to do. Very depressing. :(

which leads you to try and make everything "very secure". Back in Belfast in the 80s and 90s, EVERY shop had doormen, checking every bag of every customer coming into the shop.

BBC reporting this 'A 23-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the Manchester bomb attack, Greater Manchester Police said'

This is essentially bullshit.

At the very least it takes a degree of skill. Most recent European terror attacks Nice, Westminister, Berlin, were all notably crude, and suggested a move from ISIS from trained operatives to inspiring lone wolves into wrecking maximum carnage with next to no training or guidance.

If it is a cell, and I'm not saying it is, bomb makers usually don't deliver the bombs they've made themselves. Their skills are too valuable to waste in a suicide attack.

Back
Top Bottom