Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Manchester Arena incident - many reported dead

Having spent the opening days of the first Gulf War sat in a flat in Manchester watching the horror unfold on twenty-four hour news, I'd suggest that a walk in the Pennines is probably the healthier option. It only takes about ten minutes to get to Stalybridge by train...
yeh i remember watching the first night of that and there was some reporter in saudi saying in effect 'you've just called us out of the bunker for an update while the chemical attack alarm goes off' and the screen went dead. the anchor looked suitably horrified.

not sure how else it would unfold. it's desperately sad, seeing what's emerging about those confirmed dead. don't expect a massacre at a pop gig :(
It's heartbreaking. Any parent who has ever dropped their kids off at a pop gig is probably tearing up at times; I know I am. I can't imagine how those parents are feeling who had kids at this gig, who might not even yet know if their child is among the dead or injured.

I'm flashing back to the Dunblane tragedy (I'm from Dunblane) and that desparate morning when everyone with family at the school (which included me) tried to get information.

There was rolling news back then, but not the social media we have now.

Fuck the person who did this and fuck their ideology. Whoever they are. (And remember we don't yet know). And fuck the vampires on the far right who are going into alliance with the Islamist far right to use the death of children to further their aims. Because that's what they are doing. (Even if it turns out not to be an Islamist attack). Fucking scum beneath fucking the lowest fucking degree of fucking disdain.

Hadn't thought of it until you mentioned Rigby, but yesterday was the anniversary of his death. Probably just a horrible coincidence, but those sorts of emotions will already have been running high - saw a video on Facebook of some guys gluing a plaque to the pavement as the council won't condone an official memorial, or something. Can only imagine what they're hideous thoughts that will be going through their heads today :(

Eh, he had every right to put a plaque there, it doesn't make him a fascist, etc.

It's heartbreaking. Any parent who has ever dropped their kids off at a pop gig is probably tearing up at times; I know I am. I can't imagine how those parents are feeling who had kids at this gig, who might not even yet know if their child is among the dead or injured.

I'm flashing back to the Dunblane tragedy (I'm from Dunblane) and that desparate morning when everyone with family at the school (which included me) tried to get information.

There was rolling news back then, but not the social media we have now.

Fuck the person who did this and fuck their ideology. Whoever they are. (And remember we don't yet know). And fuck the vampires on the far right who are going into alliance with the Islamist far right to use the death of children to further their aims. Because that's what they are doing. (Even if it turns out not to be an Islamist attack). Fucking scum beneath fucking the lowest fucking degree of fucking disdain.
Great sentiments, great analysis. If anybody is tempted to make stupid posts or score points, just read this.

The CL Final like any big event would be a threat in any case .Not sure that Daesh or the jihaadists would have as their final outcome for victory as Take That cancelling a gig, normally it would be the establishment of a caliphate.

Oops beaten to it
They'll be ramping up the security for such an event for sure, even if there hadn't been a recent atrocity.

Having spent the opening days of the second Gulf War sat in a flat in Manchester watching the horror unfold on twenty-four hour news, I'd suggest that a walk in the Pennines is probably the healthier option. It only takes about ten minutes to get to Stalybridge by train...
I'm contemplating Edale or Glossop. The trains there start in Piccadilly so hopefully not to badly affected. Failing that walking the canal out to Stretford then Mersey to Choltron Ees will do. I do want to make the vigil being held this evening though.

Reports that Take That Are unlikely now to be playing the MEN this week and Ariana Grande postponing 02 gig, the terrorists have won if this happens, better to get on with it and carry on as normal surely.

I fear that the Champions League final is Cardiff next week may well be a target now.

I'm not surprised that the next gigs are cancelled, some of the building did get blown up like. And a Ariana Grande postponing her gig is no surprise either. I suspect she's pretty freaked out.

Had a not so comfortable night trying to contact my son who works at the arena. Fortunately took the day off and went to bed early following his uni exams. Woke up to dozens of missed calls and texts, ect.
Had I not texted my mother last night I would probably woken up to my landline (since I turn my mobile off when I go to bed) ringing, and listening to a distraught mother telling me the news and wanting to be assured I hadn't been caught up in it.

Glad he's okay anyway.

Went to bed last night thinking nothing much of rumours of gunshots outside a Manchester venue...

Woke up to a facebook feed filled with my SiL in Manchester sharing posts of people desperately looking for missing kids at the concert.

I'm struggling with this one. Kids at a concert and their loving parents. What is there to say? :(

Loads of the families last night seemed to have been from scotland - christmas present, closest they can get sort of thing.
Standard for arena shows like this - people will travel from all over the UK to either the nearest one they can manage or the only one they can get tickets for etc

At times like this you can think about this in terms of causes, who did it, all sorts of events. But most of all it's an attack on life. Absolutely heartbreaking thinking about the families who have lost a child or still don't know what has happened to their loved ones.

The police now say they know the identity of the perpetrator, but are not disclosing it to the public at this stage - details in both the MEN and BBC live feeds.

Went to bed last night thinking nothing much of rumours of gunshots outside a Manchester venue...

Woke up to a facebook feed filled with my SiL in Manchester sharing posts of people desperately looking for missing kids at the concert.

I'm struggling with this one. Kids at a concert and their loving parents. What is there to say? :(
When the London bomb went off I was at the G8 protest camp in Stirling and the police locked the camp down for most of the day. It was obviously horrific and lots of people were very anxious to find out what had happened to their loved ones. It was a time of mobiles obviously, but there were no access to TV or social media, just information trickling in off websites. This feels more immediate to me, partly because of social media and the combination of news saturation and rumour - along with the fact I've worked and studied in Manchester. Sorry, my reminiscences are not relevant, just trying to process this shit. :(

The worrying thing about the Manchester attack is that if it does turn out to ISIS related, it marks a huge jump in effective target choice by individuals radicalised by this group. Most extremist terrorist attacks in the UK have either failed or have resulted in a relatively small death toll. Even the July 7th attack had a surprisingly low death toll (57?) when you consider it involved four bombs on the London transport system at rush hour. If that attack had been better planned or organised it could have lead to a death toll in the hundreds.

Attacking the unexpecting public in usual places was the mark of Palestine extremists (not saying that this is in any way directly related to the Palestine conflict) buses, concerts, night clubs are all preferred targets. ISIS related groups in Europe picked up on that and began targetted events like football matches and concerts. I'm just really concerned that this is an escalation, not an isolated incident.

Back
Top Bottom