Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 vanishes without trace

I heard the news the Australians are planning to use a drone submarine but the Chinese ship that was on it's way to the northern most signal site, what's happened there? Is it still on it's way?

I'm surprised we've heard nothing on surface debris, possibly it's dispersed quite widely by now? Maybe there isn't that much of it?

I think it is still a bit uncertain, the Chinese and Australians who claim to have detected pings, did so in locations some 600km apart.

Had a look to see what precedents there were for planes never being found; not that many according to this list on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aerial_disappearances

I guess with so many lives involved they make a greater effort for recovery. In most cases they'll also have a better idea where the plane is likely to be, I guess MH370 is a unique circumstance.

Locator beacon signals heard twice yesterday again in close proximity:

mr_014-2.jpg

e2a: the RAAF are dropping ASW sonar buoys in the area from P-3's to help narrow the location down (having tested their suitability for ULB detection several days ago).

Last edited:
Australians reporting a promising signal picked up by one of the sonar buoy hydrophones. Also, apparently the last voice on the ATC recordings has now been identified as the captain (Shah) - identified by colleagues.

CNN (so engage journalist hyperbole filter) are reporting: (Again) Malaysian government sources state the flight altered height from 35kft to around 4 or 5kft as it turned over the Malaysian peninsula before finally climbing back to 35kft (as previously reported but then doubted). Though this seems to be based on absence of radar paints (eg due to terrain shadowing) rather than positive returns.

It is noticeable (AIS data) that HMS Echo is tracking towards Ocean Shield (though has slowed recently). This might suggest it is positioning to conduct a full seabed sonar survey to follow up the location work of the towed pinger locator and the sonar buoys and waiting for the completion of the survey (they will want to keep the immediate area as acoustically quiet as possible until they have determined a manageable sonar survey area). The next closest ships are several times further away to the west around the other, larger, search area.

aistracks.png

Examples of imagery from the kit they have on board (from much shallower waters, of course):

4bd65302cb3a461cbd0819a116de334e-576x0.jpg

b70035423fe3413884dd3e744984c56e-576x0.jpg

It is noticeable (AIS data) that HMS Echo is tracking towards Ocean Shield (though has slowed recently). This might suggest it is positioning to conduct a full seabed sonar survey to follow up the location work of the towed pinger locator and the sonar buoys and waiting for the completion of the survey (they will want to keep the immediate area as acoustically quiet as possible until they have determined a manageable sonar survey area). The next closest ships are several times further away to the west around the other, larger, search area.

I did wonder whether they were looking to use something like that (and remember it being mentioned earlier in the search). The mini-subs sound awkward (only dumping data at the end of a 20hr mission) so this will help - maybe they're slowing in case they might not be needed?

Presumably the Aircraft investigation folks will want to recover as many bits as possible to solve the mystery. It's a long way down and I guess a chance that debris will have spread out on the descent.

Presumably the Aircraft investigation folks will want to recover as many bits as possible to solve the mystery. It's a long way down and I guess a chance that debris will have spread out on the descent.

To a degree, but that will depend on how intact the fuselage was, of course.

The main AF447 debris field was quite compact. Most of it was in a 200x600 m area. The larger items of interest here are most probably in a similarly constrained area.

By way of comparison, though the entire Titanic debris field is about 5x8 km, the two main sections, bow and stern, are about 600 m apart.

_74384754_eex23p001-1st.jpg

The fate of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane makes its way back on to the front page of the Daily Express. It quotes a claim by a source close to the hunt that investigators are now exploring the possibility that the plane landed or crashed at a remote location following the fruitless search in the Indian Ocean.
(from BBC paper review)

Not enough faces/palms for this shit. If nothing is ever found, will this become their new obsession after Diana and Maddie?

"Missing plane: passenger may have met Diana when a child!"

A source has revealed that authorities are investigating the possibility that a passenger, known only as 'Passenger A', may have met Diana on one of her frequent trips to look at random children. We ask: did he know something we don't?

etc

I saw that express headline out and about today, did they have any compelling evidence? I somehow doubt it!
A quiet news day perhaps, it doesn't help that there has been little news from the actual search.

After the failure of the recent underwater search, Georesonance explorers are saying they've probably found the crash site - in the Bay of Bengal (5000km away from the area the mission has been scouring)!

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/23036893/exploration-company-believes-it-may-have-found-mh370/

That's just cruel, given how strongly http://georesonance.com smells of fruitloopery...

Our on-site measurements are based on the phenomenon of the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. Proprietary equipment is used to stimulate nuclei of the targeted mineral by using an oscillating electromagnetic field. The pertubed nuclei resonate at characteristic frequencies that are detected by GeoResonance instrumentation at the surface.

That's just cruel, given how strongly http://georesonance.com smells of fruitloopery...
Exactly - just what sort of electromagnetic field would you need to get down to deep water ?
Sounds about as credible as dowsing.

Very fancy website though.

Our typical project involves 47 scientists and nuclear physicists, including 5 professors and 12 PhDs.

I wonder how much they charge.

Last edited:
Exactly - just what sort of electromagnetic field would you need to get down to deep water ?
Sounds about as credible as dowsing.
Slightly more credible than that, possibly. But, given the amount of power necessary to operate a medical NMR machine with a range of a few feet, I'm not sure how on earth you operate - let alone move - one big enough to detect a bit of metal under a lot of seawater.

An initial report was sent to authorities while the black box still had two weeks of battery power.

The full report was delivered on April 15.

7News tried to contact the office of search co-coordinator Angus Houston today but there was no response.

There'd be a reason for that...

Back
Top Bottom