Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

United Airlines violently drag passenger off overbooked flight

Imagine putting this logic on a taxi. I can't guarantee enough fares will turn up to cover my costs so I'll quadruple book the same route and hour. Should customers turn up and the cabs full, well, I'll just have to bang one of them spark out

Lol! Never had you down as a frother! ;)

These are some of the biggest companies on the planet who spend billions researching their industry practices. They don't blow their noses without getting analysts and PhDs involved. To suggest that they are somehow "winging" their ticketing is beyond ludicrous. Overbooking works. Get over it!

Don't be daft. This is one case in scores of thousands (bump-offs) that went badly wrong. Stop pretending it's common.

On your wider point, the airline industry isn't going anywhere. It's way too important. It'll change, probably increasing fares, but all that means is that only wealthy people will fly. Fortunately it won't happen in our lifetimes, and whilst people in the UK are able to fly across Europe and back for the price of a night down the pub, they will.

This wasn't an overbooked flight. In this instance their finely tuned algorithm thought there would be no shows and they'd have space for essential crew positioning, they didn't and shit hit the fan, or rather a shit hit a paying passenger, repeatedly.

Overbooking algorithms are how to make as much gravy as possible out a trip, if you need to factor them in to make the airline work - you are doing it wrong.

Back in those days flying was for the very well off only. No Ryanairs etc. Low cost airlines can't operate alongside state run airlines.

That might describe air travel in the 50s or maybe the 60s - at least in North America.

There were discount airlines in the Seventies, including Western Airlines, Southwest, Alaska Airlines, etc. Internationally, Icelandic was always known for cheaper flights.

This wasn't an overbooked flight. In this instance their finely tuned algorithm thought there would be no shows and they'd have space for essential crew positioning ...
Yes. It fucked up in this case, and the subsequent actions of the people involved in removing the fella were fucking nuts. But it's one incident in 600 million US domestic flights per year.

Winging it? This isn't the Wright Brothers. You realise we are in the 21st century? You know the plane can actually fly itself? But somehow when it comes to the revenue-critical question of minimising wasted seat space they are 'winging it'?

Winging it? This isn't the Wright Brothers. You realise we are in the 21st century? You know the plane can actually fly itself? But somehow when it comes to the question of minimising wasted seat space they are 'winging it'?

It's only "wasted" if one is completely unwilling to account for unexpected circumstances, and insists on wringing out the tiniest dribble of profit from each and every journey. If they'd had a policy of keeping a small amount of seats free - a mere three in this case - then a dude wouldn't have gotten his teeth knocked out.

They're fucking winging it because their oh-so-smart algorithms don't seem to be able to account for the tiny discrepancies that inevitably come with acting within the real world - as opposed to some idealised mathematical model.

Winging it? This isn't the Wright Brothers. You realise we are in the 21st century? You know the plane can actually fly itself? But somehow when it comes to the question of minimising wasted seat space they are 'winging it?'

Its only 'wasted' space if they have given enough notice of cancelation to be refunded. Otherwise space was paid for, that it was not filled just lowered the DOC's, but still more profit.

I had an airline get narky with me over a flight I'd didn't use...once. Fucking accountants.

They're fucking winging it because their oh-so-smart algorithms don't seem to be able to account for the tiny discrepancies that inevitably come with acting in the real world - as opposed to some idealised mathematical model.
Except they do.

I think the guy who got their lights punched out would beg to differ.
Happens all the time doesn't it?

Oh wait ...

What other 1 in 600 million occurrences would you consider usual or indicative of an entire industry?

Last edited:
Happens all the time doesn't it?

Oh wait ...

What other 1 in 600 million occurrences would you consider usual?

I know that it doesn't happen all the time. I just don't think that makes it alright. Also, there is also no chance whatsoever that such incidents could ever become more common as airline companies cling to outdated business models due to bureaucratic inertia and contractors chasing profits instead of service. No airline will ever go bust. Because they've got algorithms and PhDs.

It's only "wasted" if one is completely unwilling to account for unexpected circumstances
That is precisely what an overbooking policy is doing.

, and insists on wringing out the tiniest dribble of profit from each and every journey. If they'd had a policy of keeping a small amount of seats free - a mere three in this case - then a dude wouldn't have gotten his teeth knocked out.
Your suggested algorithm, "keep three seats free", would indeed have prevented this craziness, but it would be a waste of the airline's most precious resource, seat space. Flights where say 10 passengers do not turn up would then travel with 13 empty seats.

They're fucking winging it because their oh-so-smart algorithms don't seem to be able to account for the tiny discrepancies that inevitably come with acting within the real world - as opposed to some idealised mathematical model.
It's just not possible to perfectly predict how many passengers will or will not turn up for a flight every time. As you note, it's a gamble. In this case (simplifying to overbooking, in fact it was a 'deadheading' situation) the result was not the right one, however the problem really was pretty clear not in the algorithms, it was that by the time the customer is boarded and sat in his chair, it's too late to 'deny them boarding'.

I know that it doesn't happen all the time. I just don't think that makes it alright.
It's not alright but in the grand scheme of things it's largely irrelevant. It'll give you anti-corporate/airline industry types stiffies and something to post about for a while, but it's so vanishingly unlikely to happen again that it'll be business as usual in a week or two.

Last edited:
Except that it now appears they misidentified him, so it does make it untrue.

And, if there was an intent behind the smear, regardless of its truth, then that intent can only have been to let the airline off the hook for its unconscionable actions (and policies).
I thought the latest was that it wasn't a case of mistaken Identity!

As an aside to the argument I remember reading recently that if you added up the profits any airline has ever made and deducted the losses, the industry has never made a penny.

As an aside to the argument I remember reading recently that if you added up the profits any airline has ever made and deducted the losses, the industry has never made a penny.

By losses, I assume you are including salaries, maintenance, etc. in this category.

It's a misleading cliché that's been bandied around for years and disregards the fact that the industry provides direct and indirect livelihoods for many millions of people.

Some airlines are sometimes profitable, others sometimes aren't. This is worth a read.

Last edited:
A standard balance sheet:

05X-table-03.png

Back
Top Bottom