Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

United Airlines violently drag passenger off overbooked flight

The current business model used by the big airlines is not the only one consistent with reasonable profit and good service. It simply reflects the sheer arrogance that comes with monopoly power.

Beyond that, there is too much concentration in the industry. The Federal Trade Commission or the Justice Department’s Antitrust Division should take a close look, and if rules like these don’t do the trick, the biggest carriers should be broken up.

Elsewhere in the travel industry — hotels and car rental agencies, for example — these abuses do not exist because there is actual competition. But airlines are simply not naturally competitive.

There is a middle ground between an abusive cartel and a ruinous free-for-all in the skies. It’s known as regulated competition.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/17/...ick&contentCollection=Trending&pgtype=article

Its only 'wasted' space if they have given enough notice of cancelation to be refunded. Otherwise space was paid for, that it was not filled just lowered the DOC's, but still more profit.

I had an airline get narky with me over a flight I'd didn't use...once. Fucking accountants.
Respectfully, that's a bit like saying all the houses sitting empty in London which could house people in need are not wasted space because someone owns them. If a seat in an airliner goes unoccupied it is wasted space regardless of whether it is paid for. And a waste of CO2 emissions in particular.

That's a holiday. If you were working, or going home to Mrs Coley and the kids for xmas, the last thing you want to be doing is fucking about with silly trains.
Working? I assure you I was never in a hurry to 'gan doon the pit' esp the fore shift, (started anytime between 2300 and 0400)
But I am of the persuasion that travelling, in whatever context, is something to enjoy rather than endure.
I realise that this viewpoint might irk some that pay gazillions to commute in overcrowded, often non existent means of public transport, but if they are prepared to accept that particular 'status quo' then, whey up, that's their choice.

If you're going to travel the US by land, take the bus. They have all 90-day, all you can use passes, with as many stops as you like along the way. And the people you meet on buses are a, let's say "interesting" crowd. You'd go back home with lots of stories to tell.
Your not wrong there, but if you want a 'really' interesting' experience go greyhound from LA to Guerra Negra Mexico, didn't realise we changed bus companies at the border:):cool:
Fantastic experience in so many ways, but distinctly weird at the time:thumbs:

Sounds no different from sitting in first class on a train when you have a standard class ticket, except you're unlikely to get away with that on a plane. Surely everyone knows you have to sit your allocated seat.
Sounds a bit dodgy, what happened to the bloke allegedly sleeping in their 'allocated seats'

The point is that they're going to be losing money anyway. If they'd rather stick with a system that has demonstrably lead to the brutalisation of customers, then I for one won't shed even a single tear when they inevitably crash and burn in the not-so-distant future.
Mebbes a better choice of 'analogies' ? just a suggestion,:D

This is hysterical pish, Nox. ONE guy got beaten up and it was a massive fuck up that is going to cost the carrier millions.

Airlines that overbook, do so in the knowledge that the vast majority of the time they get their sums right, and as many people that they estimated wouldn't turn up for the flight, don't. People miss planes, forget flights, can't be arsed and have refundable tickets, or change plans last minute. It happens all the time and the airlines have finely tuned algorithms that they work to. On the occasions they get it wrong, more often than not, it's very easy to find people who'll fly an hour or two later, even a day, if offered compo, which is usually free tickets. On the occasions when people are involuntarily bumped they are pretty much never manhandled let alone brutalised.
But on this occasion someone was, the more attention given to this incident the better.

Yes. It fucked up in this case, and the subsequent actions of the people involved in removing the fella were fucking nuts. But it's one incident in 600 million US domestic flights per year.
No, it's the one that made the headlines, other stories are now coming out,
it's about time the fare paying public starts demanding a decent level of service.

Profit margins in the airline industry are tiny compared to other industries. If they didn't overbook they'd have to squeeze someone else. Perhaps you'd like to see their staff fucked over some more?

The alternative is state subsidy, perhaps you'd prefer that?
You think it's an either/or situation? :hmm:
How quaint.

Respectfully, that's a bit like saying all the houses sitting empty in London which could house people in need are not wasted space because someone owns them. If a seat in an airliner goes unoccupied it is wasted space regardless of whether it is paid for. And a waste of CO2 emissions in particular.

That's respectfully as 'I acknowledge you have over 20 years in the industry...'?
Its a shit mindset.
Extra gravy is extra gravy, not an entitlement.

That's respectfully as 'I acknowledge you have over 20 years in the industry...'?
Its a shit mindset.
Extra gravy is extra gravy, not an entitlement.
So rich people are entitled to book plane tickets, not show, the plane flies with empty seats (not reallocated because not refunded), and that's not to be considered a waste of resources?

Last edited:
No, it's the one that made the headlines, other stories are now coming out,
No they're not. Not one comparable story has surfaced since. What's happened is that all the regular incidents of passengers being deplaned are being reported as newsworthy and the odd one or two have been questionable.
it's about time the fare paying public starts demanding a decent level of service.
But they don't. The fare paying public demands cheap air travel and are more than happy to compromise on service levels to achieve it.

The biggest airline in Europe is Ryanair, which flies more passengers than any of the next three largest groups of airlines; Lufthansa (which includes 3 national airlines - Germany, Switzerland, and Austria), IAG (British Airways, Iberia, Aer Lingus), and the joint efforts of Air France/KLM.

Next on the list is Easyjet.

The second largest airline in the world (by passengers carried) is Southwest. It's also a "low cost/no frills" outfit.

The travelling public have been crystal clear about the type of airline service they're most willing to pay for.

Last edited:
They flushed it!!!?

Then the expert asked to see it so they can select the correct anti venom.

Oops.

Guy dies.

Idiots were lucky it wasn't a lethal variety.

Clearly they didn't follow the strict regulations laid down by the FAA for just this situation

So rich people are entitled to book plane tickets, not show, the plane flies with empty seats (not reallocated because not refunded), and that's not to be considered a waste of resources?
It happens. Plans change. Fees to swap non flexible fares are more expensive than booking a second seat.

I just came back from Ireland and had two seats booked because travel plans changed after the first was booked.

It happens. Plans change. Fees to swap non flexible fares are more expensive than booking a second seat.

I just came back from Ireland and had two seats booked because travel plans changed after the first was booked.

Another example of booking a seat on a number of flights is a business man is not sure what time the meetings would be done, so they book a seat on the 3, 4, and 5 o'clock flights.

Northern France?? Skeggy, buggerinell, a day out in Whitely bay ( for the better off) or Newbiggin for most of us.
A telly!!? I'll bet your proletarian arse you actually had a telephone in your house?
Telephone a telephone Eee lad You had it lucky...we had to shout into a tin can no string just a tin can

Back
Top Bottom