Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

United Airlines violently drag passenger off overbooked flight

How does that prove anything? Having spare crews sitting around twiddling there thumbs is very expensive so it's inevitable that there will be occasional problems. How much more would you be prepared to pay for your tickets to have extra pilots lounging around in airports?
exactly. shit system innit.

I was speaking for myself. If I ever visit America to cross it from the east to west, I'd want to take my time and see it from the ground.
Hardly pertinent to the conversation at hand though is it. The vast majority of people who take internal flights across the US couldn't give a fuck about what's between their travel points.

Hardly pertinent to the conversation at hand though is it. The vast majority of people who take internal flights across the US couldn't give a fuck about what's between their travel points.
I was responding to Gromit's claim that it was a no brainer.

Perhaps people who complain about being denied boarding should be given a complentary train ticket instead of any other compensation.

If you are denied boarding in America, count your lucky stars because what happened to you was less likely than you being killed in a road traffic accident within the next six months.

On the contrary, it has been working very well for sixty years..

The system is different now. At one time, it was possible to fly 'stand-by', and take advantage of last minute deals on planes about to depart that were under capacity. There were also times when one would be on a plane that was half-full or less. I once travelled to Hong Kong on a 747 that was so empty, that I could stretch out over the 5 middle seats in one row, and sleep part of the way.

Talking to a travel agent, standby is becoming a thing of the past.

Cheaper to fly.

I think the order goes like this (from cheapest to most expensive);

Coach
Plane
Private limo
Jet pack
Space Shuttle
Train

Trains in the US are ridiculously cheap. Problem
Is away from the NE corridor there aren't many of them and the Amtrak (government owned and subsidiesd ) passenger services run on privately owned fright tracks where the freight companys' own trains have priority. It's very civilised though. They take your bags like an airline.

I got tickets for four for NY- Washington-Charleston--Orlando for £800. All bar the last leg business class. A great way to see the country but you might not want to do it if you were traveling NY to Florida every week...,

Last edited:
Overbooking is not done for environmental issues or anything like that; the exact same number of flights would fly regardless. One thing it does do is con people into booking flights that they wouldn't have otherwise taken. If you think you can get a seat on the 7pm flight, and the 8pm would be too late, you'll go for that rather than look for alternative arrangements.

People don't take trains because there are no trains. You can get the Amtrak between certain cities on the east coast but outside of that, really, suggesting taking the train in the US will leave people thinking that you're from some sort of alternate steampunk universe.

Last edited:
The corporation wants guaranteed profits AND flexibility. Uhm, ok.
They could sell tickets for flights and tough shit if you miss the flight. That way you can pass the responsibility onto the consumer. But they want to sell premium 'open' tickets, for more money, whilst hedging their bets.
Dragging people off a flight isn't a good business model. They've already paid the money in the premium model.

What if you don't want to see more. Just get to where you want to go? Like normal people.
Normal people? I like travelling, as slowly as possible in order to experience the errr 'experience'
I'm starting to think I'm some kind of weirdo, I mean, a very cheap three day layover in Singapore en route to NZ, courtesy of Singapore Airlines and the same offer on the return flight?
No, must rush:p

Normal people? I like travelling, as slowly as possible in order to experience the errr 'experience'
I'm starting to think I'm some kind of weirdo, I mean, a very cheap three day layover in Singapore en route to NZ, courtesy of Singapore Airlines and the same offer on the return flight?
No, must rush:p

Yeah but you're on holiday, not commuting.

Long train journeys are bullshit. I went to Leeds from Bristol once. On the train. Three fucking hours. For work.

Last edited:
The corporation wants guaranteed profits AND flexibility. Uhm, ok.
They could sell tickets for flights and tough shit if you miss the flight. That way you can pass the responsibility onto the consumer. But they want to sell premium 'open' tickets, for more money, whilst hedging their bets.
Dragging people off a flight isn't a good business model. They've already paid the money in the premium model.

Profit margins in the airline industry are tiny compared to other industries. If they didn't overbook they'd have to squeeze someone else. Perhaps you'd like to see their staff fucked over some more?

The alternative is state subsidy, perhaps you'd prefer that?

Profit margins in the airline industry are tiny compared to other industries. If they didn't overbook they'd have to squeeze someone else. Perhaps you'd like to see their staff fucked over some more?

The alternative is state subsidy, perhaps you'd prefer that?

I think I'd prefer state subsidy over passengers getting their teeth knocked out, yes. Wouldn't you?

Back
Top Bottom