Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 vanishes without trace

The communications systems of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 were deliberately disabled, Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak has said.

According to satellite and radar evidence, he said, the plane then changed course and could have continued flying for a further seven hours.

He said the "movements are consistent with the deliberate action of someone on the plane".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26591056

The Beeb has been quite careful in reporting so far so I would say they are fairly credible.

The whole point of using an aircraft as a bomb is all the fuel on board an aircraft surely? A target at the limit of the range seems unlikely unless there was something about the hijack plan that would only work on that flight or out of that airport.

Well the fuel adds significantly to the damage caused as the WTC showed only too well. But if one were to crash an even empty-fuel large commercial airliner to any civilian building (say the government HQ or parliament building of a given sovereign nation) the kinetic force alone would be quite destructive, and the attack would still be considered a 'spectacular' and attract world coverage.

I suspect there are going to be many red faces at a good number of nations amongst those in charge of early warning systems and coastal and aerial defence.

Well only if it crossed into their airspace and didn't just head out over the Indian Ocean. Truth be known most air defence systems have glaring unadvertised gaps anyway; a significant proportion of self defence is keeping the opponent in the dark and guessing about what your capabilities are.

The whole point of using an aircraft as a bomb is all the fuel on board an aircraft surely? A target at the limit of the range seems unlikely unless there was something about the hijack plan that would only work on that flight or out of that airport.

Who's saying they're be going for maximum damage/casualties though. A near empty plane could still do plenty of damage couldn't it (although I'd imagine maximum damage would be more their aim)

eta: T&P's just said that, sorry

Who's saying they're be going for maximum damage/casualties though. A near empty plane could still do plenty of damage couldn't it (although I'd imagine maximum damage would be more their aim)

eta: T&P's just said that, sorry
Fair enough, just speculating to pass the time. There's a lot of other reasons to hijack a plane apart from a 911 style crash though.

Dunno, but I keep thinking of Flight 714!
The_Adventures_of_Tintin_-_22_-_Flight_714.jpg

Is that what you got from my post?
not that one perse, but the rest of them pertaining to a certain specified subject, may lead one to the conclusion that this would be a valid deduction of your beliefs based on your postings.

I don't accept that our knowledge of all things is complete, at this point.
I never said it was. I imagine there's infinitely more things I don't know than I do. Personally I choose to think that not knowing a rational explanation for something might be more indicative of my own ignorance, rather than implying it can only have an irrational explanation.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

I never said it was. I imagine there's infinitely more things I don't know than I do. Personally I choose to think that not knowing a rational explanation for something might be more indicative of my own ignorance, rather than implying it can only have an irrational explanation.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

I agree; and a consequence of knowing nothing, is an inability to rule out the possible existence of the irrational.

If it's gone down in the water, presuming it didn't stay intact on the way to the sea bed, bodies will eventually start washing up on far-flung shores, won't they?

[Qhttp://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13949074470169&key=1e857e7500cdd32403f752206c297a3d&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Frumours-news%2F535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost-204.html&v=1&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Frumours-news%2F535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost-202.html&libId=ec93deae-62fa-40fa-ace5-f8dd8eaad447&out=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.airforce.gov.au%2FTechnology%2FSurveillance44-Command-and-Control%2FJindalee-Operational-Radar-Network%2F%3FRAAF-dq9yQKwX6WliV2hNVcj38sG4oMWiAMtQ&title=Malaysian%20Airlines%20MH370%20contact%20lost%20-%20Page%20204%20-%20PPRuNe%20Forums&txt=JORNUOTE="Pickman's model, post: 12997059, member: 3913"]no it isn't. the existence of the irrational is certain.[/QUOTE]
au contraire PM-the existence of certainty is almost certainly irrational

xes said:
not that one perse, but the rest of them pertaining to a certain specified subject, may lead one to the conclusion that this would be a valid deduction of your beliefs based on your postings.

Rather than it being an attempt at wit?

Returning to the last signal location plot (not a flight path plot as a couple of media outlets are misreporting), if the last position were on the southern arc the Australian OTHR (JORN) would more than likely have spotted it (see coloured coverage sectors below, which are likely a conservative range estimate). Also, the Pacific Ocean Inmarsat satellite would have likely heard from it (anywhere east of the green line). Though if it made it to almost the end of the southern arc and weren't flying directly towards Australia I suspect the antipodeans wouldn't have been interested at the time. So it could be in the water towards the southern end of the southern arc.

Thailand and India have more or less admitted to not running 24/7 primary radar surveillance (it's off overnight) so it could have gone for a jaunt in the proximity of the southern end of the northern arc but probably not much further north where one would imagine the Chinese would have clocked them.

itl.png

CNN have reported that a senior USG source has informed them that there is classified data indicating the aircraft is at the bottom of the Indian Ocean. So possibly it subsequently returned to and flew out over the Bay of Bengal (in which case one would imagine it would be in the northern region, NNW of the Andaman Islands, otherwise there would be a subsequent chat with the Inmarsat service).

Of course, that all depends on how much of the bigger picture we've been fed. Which is probably very little...

Back
Top Bottom