Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist bookfair 2020

Is it this person? Looks kind of different.

Is it this person? Looks kind of different.

Cba actually listening to that/watching to check, but could it be this guy? Similar-sounding name, know he has a new book out so makes sense he'd be doing panels?

Cba actually listening to that/watching to check, but could it be this guy? Similar-sounding name, know he has a new book out so makes sense he'd be doing panels?

Wow. Thanks. I had the info, you didn’t but that is what I wanted to know. Cheers very muchly.

Also Magnus McGinty - probably too late now, but for future reference AK UK have this note on their homepage (not on mobile site though):

Postage fees: We are trying to work out a method where it lands around what it costs. It was too low, now it sometimes too high. If it is much more than the actual cost I will either reduce the total charged on your card or refund your Paypal - we are not aiming to make money on the postage. A small book will usually be less than £3, a large book less than £4 and a tracked box is £8 if you are buying a few things.

Also Magnus McGinty - probably too late now, but for future reference AK UK have this note on their homepage (not on mobile site though):

Postage fees: We are trying to work out a method where it lands around what it costs. It was too low, now it sometimes too high. If it is much more than the actual cost I will either reduce the total charged on your card or refund your Paypal - we are not aiming to make money on the postage. A small book will usually be less than £3, a large book less than £4 and a tracked box is £8 if you are buying a few things.

Not sure how that relates to the fascists accusations though? There’s many monsters depending on your position but fascism may not be it.

Christ, the AF can’t write for shit these days.
Yes, without wishing to dox anyone I get the impression the admin of that account may also be a sometime poster on this thread? But yes, it would be nice if they could get a second member to proofread that person's posts to get them to read a little bit less like gibberish.
Not sure how that relates to the fascists accusations though? There’s many monsters depending on your position but fascism may not be it.
I mean, I don't think AK Press's postage policies have very much to do with fascism at all? If we're going to discuss the Judith Butler article, then probably best to actually discuss the Judith Butler article rather than an AF twitter post about a Pink Peacock twitter post that has a screenshot of it:
The actual examples Butler starts off with involve new laws in places such as Hungary, Poland, Romania and Turkey. I think there's fair debate to be had about whether it's accurate or helpful to describe Orban or Erdogan as fascist as such, but they're at least far-right adjacent, no?

Yes, without wishing to dox anyone I get the impression the admin of that account may also be a sometime poster on this thread? But yes, it would be nice if they could get a second member to proofread that person's posts to get them to read a little bit less like gibberish.

I mean, I don't think AK Press's postage policies have very much to do with fascism at all? If we're going to discuss the Judith Butler article, then probably best to actually discuss the Judith Butler article rather than an AF twitter post about a Pink Peacock twitter post that has a screenshot of it:
The actual examples Butler starts off with involve new laws in places such as Hungary, Poland, Romania and Turkey. I think there's fair debate to be had about whether it's accurate or helpful to describe Orban or Erdogan as fascist as such, but they're at least far-right adjacent, no?
I would probably describe Erdogan as not a million miles away. I think I've misread a few steps here.

I would probably describe Erdogan as not a million miles away. I think I've misread a few steps here.
Oh, and Bolsonaro as well, of course. I generally think people should probably read the whole article properly (which I haven't, I've just skim-read it, but it looks fairly sound on first skimming) before deciding what the argument it's making is. Obv that AF twitter post is a bit on the gibberish side, but I reckon Butler's argument is probably worth engaging with - the only thing it seems to be saying about TERF/GC types is right at the end:
"That is why it makes no sense for “gender critical” feminists to ally with reactionary powers in targeting trans, non-binary, and genderqueer people. Let’s all get truly critical now, for this is no time for any of the targets of this movement to be turning against one another. The time for anti-fascist solidarity is now."
Which again seems reasonable enough to me.

Oh, and Bolsonaro as well, of course. I generally think people should probably read the whole article properly (which I haven't, I've just skim-read it, but it looks fairly sound on first skimming) before deciding what the argument it's making is. Obv that AF twitter post is a bit on the gibberish side, but I reckon Butler's argument is probably worth engaging with - the only thing it seems to be saying about TERF/GC types is right at the end:
"That is why it makes no sense for “gender critical” feminists to ally with reactionary powers in targeting trans, non-binary, and genderqueer people. Let’s all get truly critical now, for this is no time for any of the targets of this movement to be turning against one another. The time for anti-fascist solidarity is now."
Which again seems reasonable enough to me.
I don't have time to reply to you properly on this, and I haven't had time to respond properly to other posts on other threads on related issues. But there is nothing reasonable about lumping in fascists with GC feminists in any kind of generic way. Butler's article does this throughout, conflating being GC with being anti LBGTQ+. This is nonsense. The idea that the likes of Helen Steel, Linda Bellos, Bea Campbell etc are fascist or fascist leaning is just crap.

I don't have time to reply to you properly on this, and I haven't had time to respond properly to other posts on other threads on related issues. But there is nothing reasonable about lumping in fascists with GC feminists in any kind of generic way. Butler's article does this throughout, conflating being GC with being anti LBGTQ+. This is nonsense. The idea that the likes of Helen Steel, Linda Bellos, Bea Campbell etc are fascist or fascist leaning is just crap.
When you have the time, I would be interested to see which bits of that article you think are refering to Steel/Bellos/Campbell and co, because it seems to me like the vast majority of it is more concerned with the likes of Orban, Erdogan, Bolsonaro, Duda, the Vatican, and so on, with the exception of that one paragraph I quoted right at the end.

That's Linda Bellos who flew to the US to join the evangelical funded WoLF protests outside a court case aimed at protecting LGBT workplace rights? Not a fascist herself perhaps, but quite prepared to stand with and co-operate with the extreme right wing when it helps her crusade against Trans people. As are many other supposedly left wing gender criticals, there are countless examples.

And Butler does not conflate fascists with gender critical activism. She barely even mentions them until the last sentence, which is a plea for solidarity against the far right. She is talking about the anti-gender ideology movement, which has been active and dangerous in many parts of the world now and which anyone whose interest in feminism extended outside the middle class media bubble on terf island would be familiar with and concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom