Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kanye believe it? Follow Kanye West's 2020 presidential bid here...

Dude is bonkers!!!!

Kanye West Breaks Down, Makes Dubious Claim About Harriet Tubman at South Carolina Rally

Kanye West broke down in tears, made an outrageous claim about abolitionist Harriet Tubman, had a heckler ejected and claimed his brain was too big for his skull on Sunday at the first campaign event for his bewildering presidential run.

“Harriet Tubman never actually freed the slaves, she just had them work for other white people,” he said at one point in a rambling speech that bounded from one topic to another with little seeming structure. At another moment, he broke down when sharing that he and wife Kim Kardashian West had considered an abortion (they have four children), and then said his own father wanted to have him aborted. “There would have been no Kanye West… because my dad was too busy!,” West sobbed.

Apparently wearing a bulletproof vest, West sounded off on multiple other topics, ranging from social media to religion to his Adidas deal, during the rambling speech at the Exquis Event Center in Charleston, South Carolina. The reaction of the crowd — “registered guests only” — ranged from sympathy to disgust at various points: After West’s comments about Tubman, who is credited with freeing hundreds of slaves via the “Underground Railroad,” one crowd member groaned “Come on, man,” while a woman can be heard saying “Okay we’re leaving now.” West then segued immediately into saying that the National Basketball Association and Universal Music Group have no Black owners.

West demanded “absolute silence and absolute order” — and even asked audience members to point out anyone they heard talking — scolded the crowd for clapping at one point, and had another audience member ejected for an unclear reason. He got into a heated exchange with a young woman he invited onstage to speak, although her comments were mostly inaudible.

Judging by the reactions on social media, the appearance has escalated concerns about West’s mental health. He has frequently said that he is bipolar and often disdains medication. He was hospitalized for stress and exhaustion and reportedly placed on psychiatric hold after several onstage rants during his “Saint Pablo” tour in late 2016.

eta:

also -> Kanye West sparks fury as he compares himself to Harriet Tubman

Last edited:
At the very least a useful distraction, or an attempt to make trump look relatively less sketchy.

How am I tarring anyone else? I don't get it.

Saying and doing things that are out of character are fairly standard things for someone having a manic episode to do - maybe he really does think this things though, I dunno. But neither do you.
sure, but the thing is, he says idiotic, crass and twattish things all the time, and has done siince basically forever. And as the TMZ source said he has 'a bipolar episode' once a year, the condition can't be a get-out

sure, but the thing is, he says idiotic, crass and twattish things all the time, and has done siince basically forever. And as the TMZ source said he has 'a bipolar episode' once a year, the condition can't be a get-out
I don't really follow him closely enough to be sure, but I get the impression his most crass and twattish things tend to come concentrated together periodically, rather than it being a constant stream.

I'm not really proposing it as a 'get-out' either. Get out of what?

Fuck knows which thread this should I go on but it does appear that Trump has indeed secured the dangerous batshit vote. This isn’t Kanyes time yet

I don’t really know anything about him but all this taking the piss feels a bit off. His mrs has written a thing about what it’s like living with someone who is bipolar, people will take the piss out of that too no doubt but it all just looks sad to me, this being played out on the massive stage they’ve spent their lives constructing.

I don’t really know anything about him but all this taking the piss feels a bit off. His mrs has written a thing about what it’s like living with someone who is bipolar, people will take the piss out of that too no doubt but it all just looks sad to me, this being played out on the massive stage they’ve spent their lives constructing.
It sad that none of their friends, family or advisors can't help. What are people supposed to to do? Mental health impacts everyone but an already rich powerful man doing MORE nonsense that can impact other people's lives is very hard to empathise with.

Some of my mother's relatives are bipolar. I think there's a genetic component because she can trace it back several generations. It can really be frustrating. Everything from dealing with the person who needs help to trying to navigate a broken system is a challenge. And its all a very thankless task.

I don't think he's harming himself though. He's a celebrity, and what he's doing is good for his celebrity. It's what their stage is built for, really.

I'm not saying everyone should pity them or anything. Reckon it will harm him though, this episode, I mean before he announced the running for president plan he was busy flogging a line of clothes he put his name to at Gap, the boringest shop in the world, can’t see deals like that continuing but who knows.

This article. Exactly this:
To be clear: I am not excusing West for any of his behavior. Over the years, he has said some foolish things, and while it’s true that hurt people hurt people, hurt people don’t always align themselves with a president hostile to their people’s interests or dangerously distort history or give platforms to sketchy characters. This isn’t the point of what I’m writing. But it would be equally disingenuous to pretend that West doesn’t wear his trauma and his pain and his diagnosis on his sleeve, or that it should have no bearing on how the media covers him. We urgently need a new public language that pulls all of these threads together — a language that explains but doesn’t excuse, a language that contextualizes but doesn’t absolve.

Mation : Thank you a lot for posting that link, I think it's a superb article.

I've never known much about Kanye West as an artist, despite his headline Glastonbury gig -- a lot of the big gigs there I (deliberately? ;) ) miss for smaller acts on other stages anyway.

Now I've got a fair bit more insight into him as a man -- and it's a really tragic account -- and about the way he's worked as an artist.

I think everyone visiting this thread should read that Buzzfeed article :(

Agreed - but then, if you spend half your life shamelessly whoring yourself to the meejah for every bit of publicity you can get, you can hardly moan about excessive press intrusion.
yer sleetps with dogs, yer gets fleas.
Though I do feel quite a bit if sympathy over his mental health issues, having allso had to cope with loved ones wityha bipolar condition

Back
Top Bottom