Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

14 year old boy kills himself following obsessive use of AI chatbot

Well I guess. Except it's all stolen. And they're building extra energy infrastructure cos it takes so much to do.

But yeah, it can write a substandard CV and do weird pictures where everybody's hands are fucked.

Oh and it's running out of trainable data cos it's already nicked everything decent. Which may be an issue.

And companies like Open AI are running $5 billion a year losses.

But cheap photos maybe?
They are spending billions and billions and billions just to pay people to test and train the LLMs. The results so far are less than impressive. That can't continue for ever where progress is so painfully slow and nobody knows if the problems being addressed are fixable even in principle.

This is guesswork, but based on work I've been doing recently helping to burn all that energy, but I think more and more people are going to become less and less impressed by LLMs. They can help us do stuff at best. They can't do stuff for us in the way many people are betting it can.

The entire creative industry is fucked basically.

There was a whole skillset there for a while in writing the prompts for midjourney, chatgpt to get into action - but guess what? there's now bots that can do that for you. So bots telling bots what to do. I'm not shitting you.

I'm 45 years old but i do feel sorry for my junior counterparts. Everyone's trying to figure out how it will affect us but the main thing is that our salaries will come down. if you can pay £10 a month for a midjourney account why pay a graphic designer £400 a day?

And yeh, photographers will be pretty much fucked, except for editorial stuff.

A lot of these things are up in the air still, but I suspect that it will not become significantly less diminished. AI does not reason. It does not think. It does not understand. That's built-in. It can give an incredibly convincing show of being able to do all of those things, right up to the moment when it fails.

Ever have some trouble with a service or product and tried to get through to someone who can reason or think?

A convincing show would be a big step forward.

They are spending billions and billions and billions just to pay people to test and train the LLMs. The results so far are less than impressive. That can't continue for ever where progress is so painfully slow and nobody knows if the problems being addressed are fixable even in principle.

This is guesswork, but based on work I've been doing recently helping to burn all that energy, but I think more and more people are going to become less and less impressed by LLMs. They can help us do stuff at best. They can't do stuff for us in the way many people are betting it can.
There's a fall coming. And it's going to be pretty spectacular.

I saw something yesterday that said that Nvidia's market cap is bigger than the German and Italian stock markets combined.

It's all based on faith that the current problems are fixable. And it is just that, faith. There's precious little evidence that they are. There are dissenting voices in the AI academic community, but they are ignored. Anyone who isn't upbeat gets ignored.

Plus many people who should know better make absurd claims for AI's capabilities, both present and future. Claims that it can provide companionship to the elderly, for example. The kinds of claims that lead to cases like this one in the OP. :(

The entire creative industry is fucked basically.

There was a whole skillset there for a while in writing the prompts for midjourney, chatgpt to get into action - but guess what? there's now bots that can do that for you. So bots telling bots what to do. I'm not shitting you.

I'm 45 years old but i do feel sorry for my junior counterparts. Everyone's trying to figure out how it will affect us but the main thing is that our salaries will come down. if you can pay £10 a month for a midjourney account why pay a graphic designer £400 a day?

And yeh, photographers will be pretty much fucked, except for editorial stuff.
Yes a lot of people will be taking the cheaper option, and it will result in a proliferation of mediocre, formulaic art and design. But for many, it will be good enough given how cheap and easy it is. :(

Yes a lot of people will be taking the cheaper option, and it will result in a proliferation of mediocre, formulaic art and design. But for many, it will be good enough given how cheap and easy it is. :(

A lot of it's better than what I can do. Not too proud to say that. And it does iit n 30 seconds. It's actually really creative, that's the scary thing. It seems to think.

A lot of it's better than what I can do. Not too proud to say that. And it does iit n 30 seconds. It's actually really creative, that's the scary thing. It seems to think.
It seems to think. It doesn't, though.

You're right that it can do some amazing things. But ime the more you play with it, the less impressed you become.

Back
Top Bottom