Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just Stop Oil

I was taking the piss a bit but I don't see the point in vandalism as a method to draw attention to your cause. You'll turn more people away than get them on board.
Even if that is the case, and I don't think it has to be, it does not necessarily mean that that "vandalism" is a bad strategy. I mean surely you can think of some historical examples where civil disobedience that has been (part of) an effective campaign.

I'm not without some criticisms to JSO (I think focussing on direct action would be better) but there is some peculiarly ahistoric posts on this thread.

Even if that is the case, and I don't think it has to be, it does not necessarily mean that that "vandalism" is a bad strategy. I mean surely you can think of some historical examples where civil disobedience that has been (part of) an effective campaign.
G DAVIS IS INNOCENT

Seems to be done real confusion about JSO's demands up thread. This is basic physics. If we burn all the oil and gas from existing production we will overshoot 1.5 degrees. So developing new oil and gas fields is just madness. And it's not just activists who say this - it's the line from the International Energy Agency (IEA). Developing new fossil fuel production implies merrily burning our way towards 2,3,4 degrees hotter - or alternatively sinking capital into stranded assets.

Tactics are worth arguing about but yeah, we do need to just stop oil development and redirect that investment into renewables, green hydrogen, etc.

I'm not without some criticisms to JSO (I think focussing on direct action would be better) but there is some peculiarly ahistoric posts on this thread.
Yeah fair enough. I just don't think a snooker table in the Crucible is a good look. It's a soft target and I always worry that means it becomes a target for even worse things. Load of old blokes from working mens clubs make up a significant part of the audience from my own personal experience. They just won't get it.

Im not in disagreementwith their cause just their antics. If you know it'll backfire on you why not rethink you're target.

Has it, though? Again, the aim is not to be liked, it's to put the cause into the news. They achieved that, ergo as far as they're concerned it didn't backfire.

View attachment 371206View attachment 371207
It does if you're ridiculed for it. Which let's face it, the mainstream press will be on the look out for that from the off. something predicted in the twitter post earlier up the thread.

I know its not about achieving popularity but if it alienates you it also alienates your cause to some degree.

I think bringing more people on board is a much more productive way to bring about change than disrupting everyday Joe Davies 's annual trip to the snooker.

That's just my own personal view and I'm fine if others see things differently.

But they don't care about being ridiculed, and they're not aiming at recruiting the sort of people who'd be put off by what they're doing. You're free to think it's counterproductive, but a thing can only backfire if it produces the opposite result of what you intend.

But they don't care about being ridiculed, and they're not aiming at recruiting the sort of people who'd be put off by what they're doing. You're free to think it's counterproductive, but a thing can only backfire if it produces the opposite result of what you intend.
OK I get your that mate but up and down the land now there's people in Working men's clubs, Royal British Legions, Conservative Clubs, Labour Clubs and Snooker halls talking about "Some soft twat with a bag of orange dust" interrupting the snooker for a couple of hours. Not the issues relating to fossil fuel usage and the globes reliance on oil.

Where's the achievement in that? It's just ostracising the issue and aligning it with erratic antisocial behaviour.

What did ER achieve from their long campaign of disrupting Joe Public before they realised they were getting nowhere fast and ditched their social disruption campaign?

Getting in the news isn't changing anything anymore. Show me the productivity in it and I'll gladly change my mind.

OK I get your that mate but up and down the land now there's people in Working men's clubs, Royal British Legions, Conservative Clubs, Labour Clubs and Snooker halls talking about "Some soft twat with a bag of orange dust" interrupting the snooker for a couple of hours. Not the issues relating to fossil fuel usage and the globes reliance on oil.

Likely, but what sort of action do you actually think would get them on board? I feel like we are generalising a bit, but I suspect a lot of them would sneer if JSO were just stopping oil tankers. It's not been a natural base of support for eco activism as far as I'm aware?

Last edited:
It can backfire if it produces a more security-conscious world. You've achieved that as a negative, which you then need to counter with positive results. But what positive result are you getting? Burning fossil fuels is causing climate change. Who doesn't know that?

Likely, but what sort of action do you actually think would get them on board? I feel like we are generalising a bit, but I suspect a lot of them would sneer if JSO were just stopping oil tankers. It's not been a natural base of support for eco activism as far as I'm aware?
Yes we're generalising of course, nowt wrong with that given the event in question, without the input of the general populous I'm not sure what this sort of activism will ever achieve. Finding a way to engage with people that educates them about the problem would be much more productive than spoiling their distractions from the daily grind. Something that doesn't feed the the shit rags where folk get their news from would make much more of a change. It's counter productive to use the same medium that's going to ridicule you as part of the game whilst thinking it will illuminate your cause. It's just daft.

What has changed since Mr Methane dropped his big orange fart cloud at the Crucible? Nothing. It's been 15 minutes of fame and already there's further murmurings about tightening the laws around protest, something that the current overlords are just lapping up.

It's counter productive.

In a protest to highlight racism, you pull down a statue of a slave trader and throw it into the harbour. Perfect.

In a protest to highlight climate change, you disrupt a snooker competition? How is that advancing your argument?

In a protest to highlight racism, you pull down a statue of a slave trader and throw it into the harbour. Perfect.
To much tutting and outrage from a lot of the population of course.

Yes we're generalising of course, nowt wrong with that given the event in question, without the input of the general populous I'm not sure what this sort of activism will ever achieve. Finding a way to engage with people that educates them about the problem would be much more productive than spoiling their distractions from the daily grind. Something that doesn't feed the the shit rags where folk get their news from would make much more of a change. It's counter productive to use the same medium that's going to ridicule you as part of the game whilst thinking it will illuminate your cause. It's just daft.

What has changed since Mr Methane dropped his big orange fart cloud at the Crucible? Nothing. It's been 15 minutes of fame and already there's further murmurings about tightening the laws around protest, something that the current overlords are just lapping up.

It's counter productive.
I tend to agree it's counter productive and tbh looked weird. I imagine if I was young(er) and less cynical that I might have found it quite amusing and I guess they are trying to appeal to those people so that they can grow and keep causing disruption.

Younger people much more likely to agree and support JSO compared to Boomers according to this: Half of Brits disagree with Insulate Britain and Just Stop Oil tactics

I reckon we'll be seeing a lot more disruption over the coming years as things start to feel more desperate.

In a protest to highlight climate change, you disrupt a snooker competition? How is that advancing your argument?
It's not just the disruption in this case LBJ, it's the vandalism of something that requires a significant amount of traditional craftsmanship that I think is where they've shot themselves in the foot with this one. An object that carries weight in the minds of the people who were there to enjoy the panicle of their chosen sport of interest. It's like taking the turf from wembley. It's not a seen as a protest it's taken as an insult.

Throwing Colston in the drink yes, trashing a slate bed snooker table No. Even though the value is the probably the same people meet over a snooker table for social engagement up and down the land. The only thing they could have done worse that this would be to dig JSO into the local crown green bowling turf with a shovel :)

I tend to agree it's counter productive and tbh looked weird. I imagine if I was young(er) and less cynical that I might have found it quite amusing and I guess they are trying to appeal to those people so that they can grow and keep causing disruption.

Younger people much more likely to agree and support JSO compared to Boomers according to this: Half of Brits disagree with Insulate Britain and Just Stop Oil tactics

I reckon we'll be seeing a lot more disruption over the coming years as things start to feel more desperate.

My 17 yr old who plays snooker with his 84 yr old grandad in Hebden Bridge when he visits him, says they're a bunch of dicks. He's been an eco warrior since Primary school where he continuously terrorised me for putting the smallest of plastic items in the bin as the class's badge wearing eco cop.

It's not just the disruption in this case LBJ, it's the vandalism of something that requires a significant amount of traditional craftsmanship that I think is where they've shot themselves in the foot with this one. An object that carries weight in the minds of the people who were there to enjoy the panicle of their chosen sport of interest. It's like taking the turf from wembley. It's not a seen as a protest it's taken as an insult.

Throwing Colston in the drink yes, trashing a slate bed snooker table No. Even though the value is the probably the same people meet over a snooker table for social engagement up and down the land. The only thing they could have done worse that this would be to dig JSO into the local crown green bowling turf with a shovel :)

My 17 yr old who plays snooker with his 84 yr old grandad in Hebden Bridge when he visits him, says they're a bunch of dicks. He's been an eco warrior since Primary school where he continuously terrorised me for putting the smallest of plastic items in the bin as the class's badge wearing eco cop.
Cool one example there. I'm sure I could go and find a 17 year old who doesn't like Snooker who thought it was pretty funny. It's obvious that you like snooker so this one has hit you a bit more. If they'd of disrupted a polo tournament suspect we'd see a bit more support.

I've not come across many types of direct action that has had the overwhelming support of the general public to be honest especially the local snooker and conservative club.

It's amusing you both keep bringing up Colston as it was something you agreed with and so must have been good, but there was a lot of backlash here and most of the people I knew outside of those that shared similar views to me thought it was stupid, unhelpful, and alienated people.

It's amusing you both keep bringing up Colston as it was something you agreed with and so must have been good, but there was a lot of backlash here and most of the people I knew outside of those that shared similar views to me thought it was stupid, unhelpful, and alienated people.
It achieved something in and of itself. It got that statue removed. It advanced a conversation that had been dragging on in Bristol for years about what to do about that cunt's name being all over the fucking place. It was about reclaiming a bit of the country to us.

This has none of that.

And I've played snooker in many clubs around the place over the years. Believe me that they are nothing like Conservative clubs. Snooker fans are not the enemy. This doesn't work as a form of class war either.

Truly this was the pinnacle of capitalism.

Chas n Dave over the rusty loudspeakers "pot the red and.. screw back, for the yellow, green, brown, blue, pink and black", plaintive in the desert air.

It achieved something in and of itself. It got that statue removed. It advanced a conversation that had been dragging on in Bristol for years about what to do about that cunt's name being all over the fucking place. It was about reclaiming a bit of the country to us.

This has none of that.
Yes fair I did initially write that as well it was successful, but there were still lots of people that disagreed it with it and always will do whenever people try to take direct action.

It's not very often that acts like that are so affective - an exception to the rule in my experience.

The idea of the general public seeming largely supportive of any sort of disruption just doesn't fit with my experience of any sort of organising, and that's what I was responding to.

As I said I don't think JSO are particularly effective, and I think most of their stuff is weird, but I haven't really got anything better to contribute at the moment and the situation with the climate feels increasingly lost.

Tell you what though I really can't be bothered to post anymore about JSO as I think they are wank and I'm starting to feel dirty. I really hated XR for all their police love so shat on it and wanted to try and get involved with some of the more radical groups around it, but just didn't get involved in the end.

So since then I've tried to take less shots at people protesting on the climate as I think it's a lost cause and JSO do amuse me from afar with their weird antics. They do feel very Evangelical and end of the world types.

I just feel a lot of the counter arguments on here are ones I've heard and read millions of times from people that disagreed with one action or the other. "Counter Productive" "alienating people" "won't someone please just think of the snooker tables" but the world's seriously fucked and I don't see anyone else coming up with something that's going to suddenly snap people into action

Put it this way. A jury went rogue to acquit the Colston four (or however many there were). They were not without support. Why? Because their protest meant something.

Put it this way. A jury went rogue to acquit the Colston four (or however many there were). They were not without support. Why? Because their protest meant something.

I'm aware they weren't without support - I know some of the people loosely supporting them at the time, but then there was also a lot of shit from those that didn't agree with it in the city.

Those who were at the Kill the Bill protests were violently put down and then faced long sentences if they were arrested. Those protests meant something too, but they couldn't be seen to get away with it - doubly so following what happened with Colstons statue Imo. I don't think the courts add legitimacy to protests necessarily, but it's obviously nice on the rare occasions they do come down on our side.

Civil disobedience is often (indeed more often than not) unpopular, and provokes a strong counter reaction from people and the state.

The actions of suffragettes came in for much of the same sort of criticism that has been directed a JSO over - no support, alienating people, attention seeking - so do you think the suffragettes actions of were counter-productive/ineffective? And if you do not then what makes the suffragettes actions effective and JSO's ineffective?

friedaweed when they did the football protests remember in amongst the mockery and moaning on the general footy forum I go on there was a fair amount of agreement with the message if not the means, more sympathy than I'd have expected.

Piers Morgan’s take for every sensible person that wants to make sure to take the opposite view.

"won't persuade a single person to support their cause"

Why the actual fuck does anybody need persuading? Jesus fucking christ you fucking idiots. You actual fucking stupid stupid pricks.

"Well they certainly put me off averting catastrophic climate change when they made that snooker table dirty"

We are not going to avoid this because we are stupid stupid stupid things. We're just not capable of it.

Back
Top Bottom