Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Julie Burchill's attack on transsexuals...

i think there's a danger when working class is just thought to mean very poor or brought up on a council estate, if someone's on low wages by the time there in their 30s/40s, has no capital, education or any real stake or power in society then they are working class, both technically and probably socially (whatever that means)

i barely remember living on a council estate and when my mum married my step dad he did alright, got a mortgage etc, my half sister even went to a shit private school for a bit, though id left home and was living in a nightshelter by then

ive got 5 GCSEs, about three quid, am a tenant and likely to stay that way till i die and despite blagging my way into a few jobs working with homeless people in my 20s, have done manual or casual work for the last ten years, call me middle class ill gouge your eyes out with my whippet

(my step dad fucked it up anyway, got made redundant and spent the last 20 years of his life working in a call centre so lol)

She's on Desert Island Discs ATM! The theme to exodus is currently playing, bc "I don't know why, but I've always loved the Jewish people."

It's curious listening, so far!

She came accross as bitter, sentimental, with zero self awareness and an intellectual midget.

I thought they were interviewing a particularly nauseating 13 year old at first.

Call me biased but I've hated Burchill ever since her NME days!! And she only got worse since then ...

She came accross as bitter, sentimental, with zero self awareness and an intellectual midget.

I thought they were interviewing a particularly nauseating 13 year old at first.

Just listened to Desert Island Discs and while I'm no fan of Burchill's trolling, I neither got bitterness nor "zero self-awareness". You are describing a person people would think she is from her writing, but surprisingly in many ways isn't when you hear her talk. She confirmed herself that she probably has some sort of personality disorder, even if she didn't quite put it that way. She may be wrong minded and her way of arguing in print is at times loathsome, but she struck me as both honest and fairly content. To be sentimental about the death of your parents strikes me as no great failing. She pretty much said fair enough when people attack her (like her ex Toby Jones in his book) and she sees her perceived failings as a human being as strengths. She is like a psychpath who has diverted her aggression into writing and she seems well aware of that.

I do give you the "intellectual midget" at least in her writing she comes actross as an idiot at times, but even there I doubt that she is stupid.

Plus spiking someone's tea is a terrible thing to do, of which she was totally unrepentant.

In a way she embodies the "no regrets" philisophy that lots espouse but very few actually live by

Just listened to Desert Island Discs and while I'm no fan of Burchill's trolling, I neither got bitterness nor "zero self-awareness". You are describing a person people would think she is from her writing, but surprisingly in many ways isn't when you hear her talk. She confirmed herself that she probably has some sort of personality disorder, even if she didn't quite put it that way. She may be wrong minded and at times loathsome, but she struck me as both honest and fairly content. To be sentimental about the death of your parents strikes me as no great failing. She pretty much said fair enough when people attack her (like her ex Toby Jones in his book) and she sees her perceived failings as a human being as strengths. She is like a psychpath who has diverted her aggression into writing and she seems well aware of that.

I do give you the "intellectual midget" at least in her writing she comes actross as an idiot at times, but even there I doubt that she is stupid.

I think she's brilliant, both intellectually and as a writer. If she comes across as stupid it's quite deliberate.

Just listened to Desert Island Discs and while I'm no fan of Burchill's trolling, I neither got bitterness nor "zero self-awareness". You are describing a person people would think she is from her writing, but surprisingly in many ways isn't when you hear her talk. She confirmed herself that she probably has some sort of personality disorder, even if she didn't quite put it that way. She may be wrong minded and at times loathsome, but she struck me as both honest and fairly content. To be sentimental about the death of your parents strikes me as no great failing. She pretty much said fair enough when people attack her (like her ex Toby Jones in his book) and she sees her perceived failings as a human being as strengths. She is like a psychpath who has diverted her aggression into writing and she seems well aware of that.

she struck you as honest despite declaring that her career was founded on a big auld lie.

she struck you as honest despite declaring that her career was founded on a big auld lie.

She struck me as honest enough on Desert Island Discs and that's what I was writing about. When someone admits to a lie then that is honest in itself. Are you argueing that just because someone lied about something when they were a teenager, everything else they ever say has to be a lie ? In any case, she must have had some affinity for what she wrote about because she kept her job.

I don't mind Julie Burchill as a personality. I haven't met her myself, but I know a few people who have worked and hung out with her and she seems pleasant enough to be around (at least until she gets drunk). I find her attention seeking in print tiresome and much of what she has to say stupid. But because of that I don't have to discredit every aspect of her personality and call her a habitual lier when I don't think she is.

She struck me as honest enough on Desert Island Discs and that's what I was writing about. When someone admits to a lie then that is honest in itself. Are you argueing that just because someone lied about something when they were a teenager, everything else they ever say has to be a lie ? In any case, she must have had some affinity for what she wrote about because she kept her job.

I don't mind Julie Burchill as a personality, I haven't met her myself, but I know a few people who have worked and hung out with her and she seems pleasant enough to be around (at least until she gets drunk). I find her attention seeking in print tiresome and much of what she has to say stupid. But because of that I don't have to discredit every aspect of her personality and call her a habitual lier when I don't think she is.
i said she declared her career was founded on a big lie. nothing in your post seems to take issue with that. you claim she's honest: she's more fucking honest than you, though that's not saying much.

you saiddid i say she was a 'habitual lier'? i fucking think not you dishonest cunt.

At least Burchill has a rational reason for her trolling in that she gets paid a lot of money to pick fights with whatever she writes. You on the other hand are a sad cunt who regularly picks fight on and Internet forum, probably just to make up for a small cock or somesuch. Twat.

At least Burchill has a rational reason for her trolling in that she gets paid a lot of money to pick fights with whatever she writes. You on the other hand are a sad cunt who regularly picks fight on and Internet forum, probably just to make up for a small cock or somesuch. Twat.
you are of course entitled to your opinion. I note though that you do not contest the charge of dishonesty

What is the lie her career was built on? Genuine question BTW.
She founded her journalism career off the back of punk, writing with tony parsons the book 'the boy who looked at johnny' or some such title. Yet despite affecting to like punk she said on DID that she was never a fan and went home from punk gigs to listen to the islay brothers.

She founded her journalism career off the back of punk, writing with tony parsons the book 'the boy who looked at johnny' or some such title. Yet despite affecting to like punk she said on DID that she was never a fan and went home from punk gigs to listen to the islay brothers.

Fair enough - Though, to me, the entire punk thing was bullshit - Punk was the reason spanners like Burchill and Parsons ever got airspace - I genuinely despise the entire notion of punk.

Plus spiking someone's tea is a terrible thing to do, of which she was totally unrepentant.

In a way she embodies the "no regrets" philisophy that lots espouse but very few actually live by

oh purlease, Sid didnt die so we could sit around 35 yrs later getting attacks of the vapors over JB spiking Country Jo Macfucking Donald ffs, get over it ....

Back
Top Bottom