Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Julie Burchill forced to apologise for twitter comments , and pay out a fat wedge .

I haven't been paying her much attention for the last 20 years or so, so I'm not sure where she stands on this now, but she had a lesbian phase and is generally pro-sex. I would be surprised if she took a gay sex is sin line, although that mean she has other prejudices about gay men/women.

the last thing of hers i read (admittedly some time ago, i gave up on her and then the guardian) was something along the lines of all gay men being in to under-age boys...

Reactions: tim
I was in a pub once with a friend who asked for a lemonade and a vegetarian pizza. The pizza duly turned up with ham on it. He sent it back and it was returned minus the ham, but the same pizza. Was the publican being racist, anti-Islamic or ignorant? Answers on a postcard please.
Sorry to take so long to get back to you all. I've been out for a long walk. But now I will reveal all. The answer was, of course, ignorant. This was back in the 1970's and at that time he probably only came across vegetarians infrequently. He wasn't tight-arsed, however, as when a truly vegetarian pizza was finally produced he didn't charge for it. Which only goes to show something or other important.
(drums fingers on table for a bit)
Ah yes, I remember what it was. It's all too easy to fling accusations around implying motive behind actions. Cricket teams may be very competitive, so much so that they fail to provide halal meat sarnies so as to unsettle their opponents. Or they may be ignorant. Or they may object to the Islamic halal animal killing practices. Or they may be racist or antagonists of a particular religion. Or something else.
I'm not trying to defend anyone's actions here, just objecting to the demands of religion on everybody else. Would you expect a vegan restaurant to produce meat or dairy based nutrition when asked? Would a Muslim chef be expected to produce non-halal pasties for a cricket team from Cornwall who objected to Islamic ritual slaughter?

and yet any glance at fascism will find plenty of women supporters

Indeed!

A-young-Queen-performing-a-Nazi-salute-with-her-family-at-Balmoral.jpg

I made a point of not using the Sun as my source.

Fair enough. I was thinking more about the timing of when it was taken, and the presence of Edward. Given the context I think it's less embarassing than the one with Harry in the Nazi get-up.

Reactions: tim
Richard II married a 6 year old.

Stephen I married a 14 year old.

John I married a 13 year old.

Henry III also married a 13 year old.

The same family has repeatedly married 15 year olds and continues to plagued by allegations to this day.

Perhaps the flagshaggers should focus on the Royal family?
I'm only on page 2 of what will no doubt be a funky thread, but this post is out front at the moment. :oldthumbsup:

Sorry to take so long to get back to you all. I've been out for a long walk. But now I will reveal all. The answer was, of course, ignorant. This was back in the 1970's and at that time he probably only came across vegetarians infrequently. He wasn't tight-arsed, however, as when a truly vegetarian pizza was finally produced he didn't charge for it. Which only goes to show something or other important.
Ah yes, I remember what it was. It's all too easy to fling accusations around implying motive behind actions. Cricket teams may be very competitive, so much so that they fail to provide halal meat sarnies so as to unsettle their opponents. Or they may be ignorant. Or they may object to the Islamic halal animal killing practices. Or they may be racist or antagonists of a particular religion. Or something else.
I'm not trying to defend anyone's actions here, just objecting to the demands of religion on everybody else. Would you expect a vegan restaurant to produce meat or dairy based nutrition when asked? Would a Muslim chef be expected to produce non-halal pasties for a cricket team from Cornwall who objected to Islamic ritual slaughter?
I don't think that's quite the killer point you think it is, given that nobody jumped in and screamed 'racist' while you were away.

But sometimes things are as they seem. Being arsey about providing halal food (which doesn't have to include meat, btw) when you know you have Muslims visiting is probably motivated by something more than innocent ignorance.

Apology to Spymaster btw. I misremembered that he was one of the people who told me about this. Appears I was mistaken. Genuine mistake - I was told it but not by him. And to say that there are a lot of people in cricket trying hard to get rid of all this kind of shit.

Ta dah, you added more information than you initially gave us.

Apology to Spymaster btw. I misremembered that he was one of the people who told me about this. Appears I was mistaken. Genuine mistake - I was told it but not by him. And to say that there are a lot of people in cricket trying hard to get rid of all this kind of shit.

It might have been me. I've definitely told cricketing anecdotes here along those lines but they were historical ones from the 90's. I'd be surprised if it was still happening today.

I'd kind of figured most pasties would be only an Imam's blessing away from being Halal.

edit: found some ropey crap involving racists crowing about Ginster's pasties being the best because they have no Halal range, which has led to what looks like a network of racist meat suppliers that I wasn't previously aware of.

https://lam_b2ewe.c_o.uk/welfare-and-slau_ghter-policy/

<underscores added to URL to avoid causing any hassle>

Last edited:
I watched The Wickerman for the first time the other week, and while I enjoyed it well enough I'm not sure it's deserving of it's reputation - that final scene is magnificent though, and I spent an enjoyable evening listening to different versions of Sumer Is Icumen In as a result.

I watched The Wickerman for the first time the other week, and while I enjoyed it well enough I'm not sure it's deserving of it's reputation - that final scene is magnificent though, and I spent an enjoyable evening listening to different versions of Sumer Is Icumen In as a result.
Thread takes a controversial tangent....:eek:

I remember when I first saw it many years ago and had absolutely no idea what it was about. Just thought it was some Hammer-related nonsense. Sometimes it's better to watch films when you know nothing about them. I think people get let down by Citizen Kane for the same reason.

I remember when I first saw it many years ago and had absolutely no idea what it was about. Just thought it was some Hammer-related nonsense. Sometimes it's better to watch films when you know nothing about them. I think people get let down by Citizen Kane for the same reason.

I didn't watch Citizen Kane or The Godfather until I was in my late 20s and found both quite boring.

Back
Top Bottom