Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Julie Burchill forced to apologise for twitter comments , and pay out a fat wedge .

Robin Hood built East Midlands Airport?

East Midlands Airport was never named after Robin Hood. Doncaster airport was, until someone pointed out that Robin Hood was clearly not from Yorkshire because his whole thing was giving money away.

• Wow
Reactions: Sue
I was in a pub once with a friend who asked for a lemonade and a vegetarian pizza. The pizza duly turned up with ham on it. He sent it back and it was returned minus the ham, but the same pizza. Was the publican being racist, anti-Islamic or ignorant? Answers on a postcard please.
Were there lemons in the lemonade?

Burchill has cancelled her publisher? Well now.
I can't keep up ! :D First she accuses Sarkar of trying to cancel her (Sarkar didn't cancel the original publishing deal) Then she apologies for being racist-y and encouraging a nasty pile on. Then she gets a new publishing deal with a dubious publisher , and cancels them for being a bit Nazi. So now she is touting a woke book to other publishers. What would be a cherry on top would be the publishers suing her for breach of contract.

East Midlands Airport was never named after Robin Hood. Doncaster airport was, until someone pointed out that Robin Hood was clearly not from Yorkshire because his whole thing was giving money away.
Yeah, apologies for any confusion caused there - Doncaster airport is the one that was built by Robin Hood, East Midlands Airport is the one that was born after Brian Clough mated with Zeus in the form of a swan.

Yes she did. However, as we know everything about Burchill this is immaterial now and it's best we discuss mythical women giving consent via angels to empower other women. Plus the shagging of swans. Or goats. I can't keep up.
I think the annoying thing about the discussion is the fact we seem to be playing along with the 'mythical' impregnation of women as a way of deifying them as 'immaculate' or 'otherworldly' which reinforces dodgey patriarchal views that women who have sex are somehow unclean/sinful/tainted whether they consented or were raped/coerced. These are stories that comforted men/fathers/husbands/brothers.

Last edited:
I can't keep up ! :D First she accuses Sarkar of trying to cancel her (Sarkar didn't cancel the original publishing deal) Then she apologies for being racist-y and encouraging a nasty pile on. Then she gets a new publishing deal with a dubious publisher , and cancels them for being a bit Nazi. So now she is touting a woke book to other publishers. What would be a cherry on top would be the publishers suing her for breach of contract.
This shit sells, though, sadly. Piers Morgan's latest anti-woke drivel is currently at number 6 on Amazon. He will make millions of pounds just from that book. :(

I think the annoying thing about the discussion is the fact we seem to be playing along with the 'mythical' impregnation of women as a way of deifying them as 'immaculate' or 'otherworldly' which reinforces dodgey patriarchal views that women who have sex are somehow unclean/sinful/tainted whether they consented or were raped/coerced. These are stories that comforted men/fathers/husbands/brothers.

Ties in with the celibacy of priests and nuns, verses in the Bible about women being unclean for twice as long after giving birth to a girl as for a boy - the standard drill, all relating back to virgins being 'clean' and probably relating to an older and more deep-rooted cuckoldry anxiety.

I'm not sure about that tbh. sure he'll do alright out of it, but millions sounds like a stretch
the number of people who make millions from one book can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand and they're going to be people like dan brown or j.k. rowling. so this oh noes he'll make millions is gross hyperbole. plus it'd take years for any millions to roll in, many years

I'm not sure about that tbh. sure he'll do alright out of it, but millions sounds like a stretch
If it stays in the top ten for any length of time, he'll get seven-figure sum, particularly as it is selling these numbers as a hardback. This isn't just a wild guess btw.

If it stays in the top ten for any length of time, he'll get seven-figure sum, particularly as it is selling these numbers as a hardback. This isn't just a wild guess btw.
no it's utter bollocks. a complete lie. to earn a million pounds off a hardback he'd have to sell about 500,000 copies @ £20 a throw - the society of authors report that the standard royalty is 10% of the hardback price and 7.5% of the paperback price. Buying Choices | The Society of Authors.

Burchill doesn't claim to be a massive atheist. She found god in the '90s and was on the verge of converting to Judaism but decided that her local synagogue was too pro-Palestinian.
Did she find him at the back of the breadbin as well?

Reactions: tim
Burchill doesn't claim to be a massive atheist. She found god in the '90s and was on the verge of converting to Judaism but decided that her local synagogue was too pro-Palestinian.

I almost feel sorry for her. She's looking for a religion that's both liberal/feminist/pro gay rights and at the same time militant towards the Muslim and/or Catholic enemies. You just don't get that combination.

I don't know anything much about Aisha. Aside from what she had in common with Mary ie. that she probably didn't exist.

I hope what is going on here isn't the old style bigotry with the small difference of employing folk demons rather than literal ones.

Believing that women who did exist, didn't exist seems to be a bigger leap-of-faith than believing that those women in one case was married to and in the other case bore men who were respectively fathered by God and God's best mate.

Aisha's existence is particularly well documented. After the death of Mohammed, she led an army, whilst sitting atop a camel in rebellion against Ali the fourth Caliph Battle of the Camel - New World Encyclopedia. In the early days of Islam, there were a number of powerful assertive women of the type that the Saudis, Iranians and other Gulf regimes are now so keen to lock up and torture.

Sorry for the derail, but it seems Burchill’s saviour publisher is a Nazi. Lol.

What happens to make a person become that, a self avowed ethnonationalist?
You wouldn’t guess anything from her author bio
. It’s uncomfortable to admit but I’m more baffled when it’s women.

seriously?

some of the stuff i've seen of hers has been a load of homophobic shite

I haven't been paying her much attention for the last 20 years or so, so I'm not sure where she stands on this now, but she had a lesbian phase and is generally pro-sex. I would be surprised if she took a gay sex is sin line, although that mean she has other prejudices about gay men/women.

Back
Top Bottom