Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

he was looking quite assured on the Marr pro this morning, despite Marrr lazily and repeatedly invoking tropes about the winter of discontent/ massed strikes and shit.

read something on Benn's diaries saying el corbo did not at the time of maastricht share Benn's particular take on europe. Not that it matters now, I just recall some right journo saying 'corbyns lukewarm remain speech was because of his bennite take' or similar.

anyway conference week. Raynor was making the procedural stuff look like the height of entertainment although she has got a few routine digs in on the tories which were funny. Best one of the conference so far was on the EU negotiations 'like dads army in the middle of an episode of Yes Minister'

read something on Benn's diaries saying el corbo did not at the time of maastricht share Benn's particular take on europe. Not that it matters now, I just recall some right journo saying 'corbyns lukewarm remain speech was because of his bennite take' or similar.

One of the causes that Benn consistently believed should trump the siren call of high office was Europe. Here he sometimes found himself out of step with his comrades on the left, including Corbyn. In 1992 he was passionately committed to a referendum on the Maastricht Treaty, on the grounds that Parliament was abrogating the sovereignty of the people. Not only was the entire Labour shadow cabinet under John Smith opposed to such a view, so too was a group that included Corbyn, Dennis Skinner and Bernie Grant. ‘It disoriented me a bit,’ Benn writes, ‘because you don’t like to go against your own people.’ Still, Benn felt he had no choice but to press on, and was shot down in flames at a meeting of the PLP.

From this: LRB · David Runciman · Short Cuts: Tony and Jeremy

One of the causes that Benn consistently believed should trump the siren call of high office was Europe. Here he sometimes found himself out of step with his comrades on the left, including Corbyn. In 1992 he was passionately committed to a referendum on the Maastricht Treaty, on the grounds that Parliament was abrogating the sovereignty of the people. Not only was the entire Labour shadow cabinet under John Smith opposed to such a view, so too was a group that included Corbyn, Dennis Skinner and Bernie Grant. ‘It disoriented me a bit,’ Benn writes, ‘because you don’t like to go against your own people.’ Still, Benn felt he had no choice but to press on, and was shot down in flames at a meeting of the PLP.

From this: LRB · David Runciman · Short Cuts: Tony and Jeremy
nice one.

I may have read it there in the first place and forgot.

presumably he doubled down on the chavez should have killed the rich venezualan oligarchs thing. e2a google says he denies saying it

Usually when Labour come to town the centre of Brighton fills up with smarmy young men & women with sharp suits and tidy hair, walking purposefully around glued to their iPhones. This year they're clearly outnumbered by union types (ill fitting suits) and public sector types (untidy hair) ambling around chatting to each other. It's really noticeable.

Usually when Labour come to town the centre of Brighton fills up with smarmy young men & women with sharp suits and tidy hair, walking purposefully around glued to their iPhones. This year they're clearly outnumbered by union types (ill fitting suits) and public sector types (untidy hair) ambling around chatting to each other. It's really noticeable.
Wasn't it the BNP who pioneered the ' ill fitting suit' style ?

I confused why Labour calling general elections in two years when I look at wikepedia pages telling 2022 be held general elections.

File under 'why Corbynism is going down the pan...'

Angela Rayner: Labour should move on from academies debate

The Labour Party should “move on” from the debate over academies and focus on campaigning for greater controls over the way they are run, the shadow education secretary has said.

Speaking to Schools Week ahead of the Labour Party conference, Angela Rayner no longer wants to get “bogged down” in debates on the merits of certain types of school, and will instead pursue the government on the use of public money.

This marks a departure from the party’s strident anti-academies stance and raises questions on the role local authorities would play under a future Labour government.

The MP for Ashton-under-Lyne, who has been in post for 14 months, still believes in “local accountability and local say” over where schools should open, but she is not “fixated on local authorities” as the solution to all problems in the system.

“I’m not going backwards – I’m going forwards,” she says when we meet in her Westminster office. “Most parents, including me, are interested in a good school that their kids can go to. They don’t care what it’s called, quite frankly."

Could have come from Hunt, Gove, Morgan or Greening. Just awful.

anyway conference week. Raynor was making the procedural stuff look like the height of entertainment although she has got a few routine digs in on the tories which were funny. Best one of the conference so far was on the EU negotiations 'like dads army in the middle of an episode of Yes Minister'

haven't looked for any more info on this, but bearing in mind Corbyn was openly opposed to EU since 74' ( from a left Labour perspective) ', but Benn was in the early 70's still making the journey from aristo Wedgewood Benn / ex Cabinet Minister, to Left Lab figure, could Corbyn have been 'not sharing Benn's take on the EU ' in the same way he didn't support Blair etc's on GFA, ie : opposing from the left ?

I don't believe Corbyn was ever in favour of the EU. As an ex Union leader, he has always known that an influx of low skilled foreign workers would reduce the number of jobs available for British workers.

Wikipedia : "Corbyn began his career as a representative for various trade unions."

Corbyn has certainly been very close to the Unions for many years, even though some may not classify him as a leader. He certainly did not appear to be enthusiastic in his campaign for the remain vote.

For the positives of Corbynism, never be blind to it's limitations.

I obviously do not think much of the 'abolishing tuition fees is a preoccupation of the middle-class, it's much more important to focus on [means tested solution] at primary or secondary level' BUT continuing to be pledged to abolishing fees while coming to terms with the rampant commodification of secondary education would certainly fit that bill.

Wikipedia : "Corbyn began his career as a representative for various trade unions."

Corbyn has certainly been very close to the Unions for many years, even though some may not classify him as a leader. He certainly did not appear to be enthusiastic in his campaign for the remain vote.
Reps are not leaders. No one would classify him as a union leader.

I don't believe Corbyn was ever in favour of the EU. As an ex Union leader, he has always known that an influx of low skilled foreign workers would reduce the number of jobs available for British workers.

I need a dump and can't get down the stairs to the bog cos I've broke my foot. I want to know what Corbyn, as leader of the Labour Party, proposes to do about that.

Back
Top Bottom