Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jeremy Corbyn's time is up

Few voted for the Lib Dems for various reasons including the usual one, which is that no one thinks they can ever actually win..
Ermmm, might it not also be the fact that, the last time they had enough MPs (and votes) to really make a difference, they rather badly let the side down?
They were - and are - an Austerity party; it simply couldn't have happened without them.

It seems Caroline Flint is going to vote for the EU withdrawal bill against a Labour three line whip. I don't think a detailed analysis is needed as to why:

ywd5Fp.jpg

However, I wonder if Jezza will suspend here?

I'm hoping there's a list somewhere of MPs who actually demonstrate a class analysis, and that they are having endless resources thrown at them to put them in the best position to stand when Jez stands down.

The main two who are making their voices heard at the moment are Chris Williamson and Laura Pidcock, but Laura in particular has got to get some years behind her yet, and I can imagine everything and the kitchen sink being thrown at Chris if he decided to stand.
The theory must surely be deeper than it just being matter of getting the right MPs with the right politics into the right positions? Surely that class analysis you mention extends a bit beyond that?

It seems Caroline Flint is going to vote for the EU withdrawal bill against a Labour three line whip. I don't think a detailed analysis is needed as to why:

ywd5Fp.jpg

However, I wonder if Jezza will suspend here?
Would have thought she'd feel comfortable enough with a 12 percent lead even with no UKIP candidate standing so Tories presumably getting maximum they would have done there, must be plenty a lot more vulnerable than that looks unless I'm reading it wrong.

Would have thought she'd feel comfortable enough with a 12 percent lead even with no UKIP candidate standing so Tories presumably getting maximum they would have done there, must be plenty a lot more vulnerable than that looks unless I'm reading it wrong.

That seat had a 69% vote leave. So I don't think she'd feel that safe voting against Brexit endlessly.

Suspend her from what?
I suspect he means "will Corbyn withdraw the party whip from her?". That one would be a double-edged sword. Withdraw the whip and she's free to say any old anti-Corbyn shit that she likes, and she would, what with being a full-on moderate/Maquis/Progress type.

That seat had a 69% vote leave. So I don't think she'd feel that safe voting against Brexit endlessly.

Being in a leave constituency will make it more difficult for her CP to object, but she can't realistically be fearful about voting the same way as all the other Labour MPs on a three-line whip. She was vociferously pro-remain in the referendum and she's already been re-elected with a comfortable majority since then, as we can see above. It's about the fact that, if no-one pulls a Labour rebellion together, there's a strong risk of JC scoring a highly significant commons victory.

He was speaking at a gathering of so-called moderate MPs and activists in parliament
Is that usual for Huff Post? Just more of a qualifier than I've seen elsewhere. But they're a bit like the Indy these days, aren't they?

Nine N London constituencies won by Tories:
Uxbridge & Ruislip South - 5,034
Rusilip, Northwood & Pinner - 13,980
Harrow East - 1,757
Hendon - 1,072
Finchley & Golders Green - 1,657
Chipping Barnet - 353
Chingford & Woodford Green - 2,438
Romford - 13,778
Hornchurch & Upminster - 17,723

Some small majorities in there for sure.

The opening paragraphs of this big article is heartwarming.

At 10pm on Thursday 8 June, shadow chancellor John McDonnell, Jeremy Corbyn’s oldest and best political friend, was sitting with Conservative defence secretary Michael Fallon in the glare of the BBC studio lights, preparing for a long night ahead. The general election exit poll was meant to confirm that Theresa May’s gamble had paid off, and she had strengthened her majority. Instead, it suggested Labour was in touching distance of ousting her from Downing Street.

“I was on air when the exit poll was announced,” McDonnell recalled. “I get on all right with Michael, but he’s a tough character, he’s robust. When it came on, I did the usual bit, ‘This is just a poll.’ That’s the standard line for politicians to spout at the early stage of a marathon election night”. But as he glanced at the defence secretary, “the blood drained from his face,” McDonnell said. “When the cameras were off, he was gripping my arm, saying, ‘This can’t be right John, this can’t be right.’ And I was having to calm him down and say, ‘It’s only a poll Michael, don’t worry.’”

The inside story of Labour’s election shock

The opening paragraphs of this big article is heartwarming.

At 10pm on Thursday 8 June, shadow chancellor John McDonnell, Jeremy Corbyn’s oldest and best political friend, was sitting with Conservative defence secretary Michael Fallon in the glare of the BBC studio lights, preparing for a long night ahead. The general election exit poll was meant to confirm that Theresa May’s gamble had paid off, and she had strengthened her majority. Instead, it suggested Labour was in touching distance of ousting her from Downing Street.

“I was on air when the exit poll was announced,” McDonnell recalled. “I get on all right with Michael, but he’s a tough character, he’s robust. When it came on, I did the usual bit, ‘This is just a poll.’ That’s the standard line for politicians to spout at the early stage of a marathon election night”. But as he glanced at the defence secretary, “the blood drained from his face,” McDonnell said. “When the cameras were off, he was gripping my arm, saying, ‘This can’t be right John, this can’t be right.’ And I was having to calm him down and say, ‘It’s only a poll Michael, don’t worry.’”

The inside story of Labour’s election shock

To be a fly on the wall at tory HQ or wherever May was hiding from the public.

Politics since the election since the election has been rather dull. Almost as if opposition parties don't want to disrupt too much just in case they end up holding the Brexit baby.

Apart from Ruislip, Hornchurch and Romford, a strong Labour campaign could sweep all those London Tory incumbents out. Not just Villiers but Duncan-Smith and even possibly Boris Johnson :eek: -- that would be a Portillo moment :cool: :D

(All depending on the boundaries not being altered before the next GE, mind you :( )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom