Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Japanese attitudes towards immigration vs UK

Fez909

toilet expert
I just read a comment on immigration by some right-wing idiot, but they followed it up with an interesting question I don't know the answer to:

To a Japanese person who wants their centre-left party to win:
Swivel Eyes said:
Do you want Japan without Japanese values? Do you want Japans national religion to be changed? Do you want your quality of life lowered by people who do not want to be your friend? You do not REALLY know what center-left means today
Japanese person said:
Well... Japan doesn't have an immigration issue as Europe...
Swivel Eyes said:
I’m so jealous of Japans sensibility. If the UK needs forced immigration to survive, why does Japan not need that too? England, nothing like Japan, is a cruel joke on the English. Its power is nothing but a deception. It only is able to survive by absorbing foreign workers.
So, why does the UK 'need' immigration, whereas Japan doesn't? Or is it the case that Japan 'needs' immigration, too?

I know the Japanese economy has been flat for a long time, and they have a debt-to-GDP ratio higher than, I think, anywhere else(?) But they seem to be doing OK. The have a high standard of living, with low crime, universal healthcare, a public pension and a welfare system.

They seem superficially similar to the UK in many ways, although I admit I don't know too much about Japanese politics.

I know they have an ageing population, again maybe the highest in the world(?), but so do we, and this is why we are told we need more immigration.

So why doesn't Japan?

I just read a comment on immigration by some right-wing idiot, but they followed it up with an interesting question I don't know the answer to:

To a Japanese person who wants their centre-left party to win:

So, why does the UK 'need' immigration, whereas Japan doesn't? Or is it the case that Japan 'needs' immigration, too?

I know the Japanese economy has been flat for a long time, and they have a debt-to-GDP ratio higher than, I think, anywhere else(?) But they seem to be doing OK. The have a high standard of living, with low crime, universal healthcare, a public pension and a welfare system.

They seem superficially similar to the UK in many ways, although I admit I don't know too much about Japanese politics.

I know they have an ageing population, again maybe the highest in the world(?), but so do we, and this is why we are told we need more immigration.

So why doesn't Japan?
It does need it and is suffering huge problems as a result of hardly having any.

Japan's population is in decline and is below the sustainable level

"sustainable level" means infinite capitalist growth matched with infinite population growth....the only thing being "sustained" is the system..... the whole thing is bullshit. The fact population figures are finally falling is wonderful news. Let them fall, and the economic system with it.

"sustainable level" means infinite capitalist growth matched with infinite population growth....the only thing being "sustained" is the system..... the whole thing is bullshit. The fact population figures are finally falling is wonderful news. Let them fall, and the economic system with it.
Why not allow future populations to have a chance at life and make things better than they are?

It would be a shame if Japanese culture were to be absorbed into the homogeneous blob of global corporatism. It seems perfectly reasonable for them to limit immigration as they see fit.

what problems is it experiencing?
i expect its that standard
ageing population - cost of care crisis - shortage of workers and associated tax revenue associated with the care bill

there are other ways to solve this that dont involve higher birth rates or importing labour, namely a radical redistribution of the wealth!

Japan has serious falling birth rates, younger people aren't getting together, let alone having kids. In the meantime, the life expectancy is lengthy. One of the highest in the world. With an increasingly aged population, there's a demand for carers.

And all the while, the country takes in an insultingly tiny amount of refugees and isn't renowned for making it easy for foreigners to live here.

Add to that the stifling status quo of the LDP, who have been running the show (apart from one or two blips) for over 60 years. They rely on an older conservative demographic... which is ironic as many have had to leave their rural towns behind for the big cities. As a result, you have hundreds of thousands of empty homes all across Japan.

Anyway, some of the problems here could easily be alleviated with a more generous attitude towards migrants. But it will take time to persuade an electorate who are currently riled up over an increase in tourist numbers and the misbehaviour of some. See Kyoto, Mt. Fuji and Johnny Somali...

i expect its that standard
ageing population - cost of care crisis - shortage of workers and associated tax revenue associated with the care bill

there are other ways to solve this that dont involve higher birth rates or importing labour, namely a radical redistribution of the wealth!

You know that wealth doesn't just fall out of the sky, right? It's generated by the workers. If an ever smaller portion of the population is working because it's getting older and retiring, that means the portion still working will need to do more work.

what have you got in mind? make a little list

Is this going to turn into the whole 'What's even is Japanese culture anyway?' canard? I'll leave it up to them to make their own lists, but as an outsider I can clearly see that they have something unique going on.

And if they are all dying out through low birth rates, then they need to figure out what the root cause of that is, not just lie down and die, simply to be replaced by others with a different culture.

Is this going to turn into the whole 'What's even is Japanese culture anyway?' canard? I'll leave it up to them to make their own lists, but as an outsider I can clearly see that they have something unique going on.

And if they are all dying out through low birth rates, then they need to figure out what the root cause of that is, not just lie down and die, simply to be replaced by others with a different culture.
It would be a shame if Japanese culture were to be absorbed into the homogeneous blob of global corporatism. It seems perfectly reasonable for them to limit immigration as they see fit.
:hmm:

This is what they are facing, by the way. Simply allowing it to happen, and proposing as a solution the replacement of the Japanese by non-Japanese people, amounts to nothing less that a soft genocide.

Japan Pupulation Projection.jpg

Culture is a social phenomenon. There's no biological necessity to have Japanese ancestry in order to conduct a tea ceremony or embrace Japanese business practices.

This is what they are facing, by the way. Simply allowing it to happen, and proposing as a solution the replacement of the Japanese by non-Japanese people, amounts to nothing less that a soft genocide.

View attachment 433007

There's no genocide going on, and nobody is being "replaced".

There are Japanese with mixed heritage, Blasian, Wasian... Japanese of Korean descent, Brazilian etc.

What you think people are going to adopt Japanese culture by merely setting foot on Japanese soil?

You can adopt a culture and have your own, too. That's what being an immigrant is all about.

Do you think people coming to your country don't?

Or are you against immigration in general?

Back
Top Bottom