Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is this woman a transphobe?

You do play games (it may well be all you are doing) and you don't get to say what constitutes 'real debate' or not.

So enough prevarication and answer your own implicit question: 'imagine saying that you do not subscribe to the notion of certain ethnicity's rights being protected'?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice
What has your post have to do with the OP?

Gender Dysphoria was a new coinage by the APA. The phrase had no meaning of usage before DSM5 was published. Previously DSM IV used the term GID, Gender Identity Disorder.

People have started to use the term to mean other things than the coiner intended. I was merely pointing that out.
The fact that the DSM introduced the phrase “gender dysphoria” merely represents the assumptions made within a medical model of pathologised mental health. It doesn’t mean that the psychiatrists that introduced it have a hotline to the truth.

The fact that the DSM introduced the phrase “gender dysphoria” merely represents the assumptions made within a medical model of pathologised mental health. It doesn’t mean that the psychiatrists that introduced it have a hotline to the truth.

FFS anyone educated, seeing the phrase "Gender Dysphoria", knows that it was a purposeful new coinage to avoid political problems with GID. It has no other definition. Before 2010 it was an unknown term and was only coined in the debate about updating DSM IV(R).

Oh my god! Someone who believes in a single truth.

FFS anyone educated, seeing the phrase "Gender Dysphoria", knows that it was a purposeful new coinage to avoid political problems with GID. It has no other definition. Before 2010 it was an unknown term and was only coined in the debate about updating DSM IV(R).
Do you think that the word “dysphoria” originated with the conception of “gender dysphoria”?

And the currents of discussion within the US medical insurance industry...
I neither support not oppose the term. I am merely commenting on its usage (incorrectly in my view) to mean being transgender. It means negative emotional reaction to being transgender.

Consider the difference between "being bereaved" and "grief reaction". Mental state and the emotional reaction to it. Same as "being transgender" and "gender dysphoria".

I think Border Reiver is unused to talking to people that have knowledge about the things they like to refer to.

I neither support not oppose the term. I am merely commenting on its usage (incorrectly in my view) to mean being transgender. It means negative emotional reaction to being transgender.

Consider the difference between "being bereaved" and "grief reaction". Mental state and the emotional reaction to it. Same as "being transgender" and "gender dysphoria".
I have to ask you again what you think an emotion is.

You're the only poster I see here making appeals to authority in place of argument.

And dodging awkward questions. Have you come up with a way of explaining sexual reproduction without reference to the category of sex yet?

Appeal to false authority is the correct name fallacy. The coiner of a term is the true authority.

The things is, those aren't the sentences written - and as far as I can work out there is no equivalent to the whole horrendous trans "debate". The use of the word "transphobia" to rule out any criticism of a political position such as gender critical feminism as motivated only by "hate" has no analogue anywhere else and this is why I am so baffled and confused by this issue.

To return to the original post can you at least highlight the "transphobic" sentences?

This is a genuine question.

Does someone have to have to use a sexist term in order to be sexist?
(You can apply this to racism of homopobia)

Surely there are people who act in a discriminatory way without using obviously abusive terms.

As a mixed raced black person I have my ideas taken by white people and presented as their own. That attitude can be(and has been) part of racist behaviour.

I have had people mock the smell or look of some of the food I grew up with. That can also be part of racist behaviour.

There are things in that statement that make me mistrust the motives of the person that wrote it.

For example ...

"No, I wouldn't like to talk about it. I have not said one thing that is transphobic (which has become a meaningless word as it is used so often)."

That mirrors stuff right wingers say about racism.

Also ....
"Is it OK for a person to claim to be disabled because they "feel disabled" and claim all the protections and systems put in place to allow disabled people to be equal within society?"

Many disabled people are treated poorly because they have "invisible" disabilities and are made to feel like they falsely claiming these protections.

And the the about Bob Marley comes across appallingly imho.

I have no idea what this person's politics are but that statement was (at best) piss poor.

For the record: emotions are the meaning-making of experienced embodied feelings. This meaning-making is inherently social and mediated through culture. To claim some essentialised emotion that exists outwith culture or context is ridiculously oversimplistic.

[
For the record: emotions are the meaning-making of experienced embodied feelings. This meaning-making is inherently social and mediated through culture. To claim some essentialised emotion that exists outwith culture or context is ridiculously oversimplistic.

Can one have an experienced-embodied feeling of severe discomfort prior to any meaning making?

[

Can one have an experienced-embodied feeling of severe discomfort prior to any meaning making?
Yes, the feeling is just a feeling. But in order for it to be an emotion, you have to attach a meaning to that feeling.

If you feel extreme butterflies in the stomach, it is the context and the meaning you attach to it that makes it into love or fear or anticipation or any one of a thousand other emotions.

have we strayed away from the point?
Depends what the point being made was. Border Reiver was resting an awful lot of statements on highly contestable claims, but that’s just them.

I have little to say about the issues surrounding actually being transgender. To me, it doesn’t much matter what the origins are of feeling that your gender is misaligned, the reality is something you have to live with the best you can. That deserves empathy and a lack of judgement. It’s not something I feel I have a right to opine on one way or the other.

There is a problem, however, when this triggers off essentialist, individualist and apolitical arguments that ignore the reality of contemporary power relations. It’s that part I will challenge as necessaey

I know you’re going with a well-established current of thinking, but it always strikes me as highly dubious - as if a solitary organism could not experience what we clearly recognise as fear.

I know you’re going with a well-established current of thinking, but it always strikes me as highly dubious - as if a solitary organism could not experience what we clearly recognise as fear.
They can’t feel fear without interpreting the situation as a threat.

Back
Top Bottom