Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is this woman a transphobe?

I don’t need to be given a link to the definition of mood or affect.

Your assertion that both these things are distinct from cognition is not something generally accepted within psychology, despite the fact that some branches claim it. Review, for example, Emotions and Social Relations

So should we have single sex (ie not mixed sex) wards? (Ie the question you’re trolling)

To be less sensitive - does a woman have a right to be on a ward that doesn’t include male patients?

it’s an observation that what should be and what is in mental health care aren’t the same. Might be worth addressing that as means of reducing the distress of people with dysphoria before demanding that people make statements that they know not to be true (Funnily enough it’s not great for anyones mental health)

also worth observing the economic motivation for ‘breaking down’ sex based protections in the NHS

In all honesty when it comes to Mental Health, if someone is struggling with their mental health as much as to be hospitalised, I think people should be in a private room with access to a common area.
I could (have) coped on a ward when suffering with physical problems but if I was admitted due to my mental health I wouldn't want to be in a bed next to anyone else who was also having a hard time mentally.

Why would you assume that psychiatry online is the last word in this? Why is the medical model your be all and end all of psychological understanding?

Why would you assume that psychiatry online is the last word in this? Why is the medical model your be all and end all of psychological understanding?
I am not here to argue the finer points of psychiatry. I am trying to assist people to understand why dysphoria is not a matter of belief but one of emotion.

I'm done.

I am not here to argue the finer points of psychiatry. I am trying to assist people to understand why dysphoria is not a matter of belief but one of emotion.

I'm done.
You come across to me as somebody that is adopting the trappings of an academic discipline that you don’t actually have real depth of knowledge in. Now, maybe I’m right and maybe I’m wrong in that. But you are making statements that to me seem highly contestable without acknowledging that at all.

to use the case of dysphoria experienced by autistic people, can this be lessened trough different beliefs?

And why, in any case, is emotion being presented as distinct from belief? Emotion is mediated through the making of meaning, which includes beliefs.

Do debate it with yourself. This is about transgender issues, not philosophical differences in psychiatry. I'm done.

Do debate it with yourself. This is about transgender issues, not philosophical differences in psychiatry. I'm done.
How convenient for you. If you don’t want to debate it, don’t make the assertions as if they are uncontested truth.

Also, I’m not talking about psychiatry. You do understand the difference between psychiatry and psychology, right?

You come across to me as somebody that is adopting the trappings of an academic discipline that you don’t actually have real depth of knowledge in. Now, maybe I’m right and maybe I’m wrong in that. But you are making statements that to me seem highly contestable without acknowledging that at all.
You are entitled to your opinion. You appear to want to divert the debate into territory that you want to cover rather than the issue at question. I'm done.

I think it's fair to say a lot of people assume the term "gender dysphoria" to be synonymous with being trans.

OTOH, it's also probably a mostly unimportant misconception.

New fella was talking about dysphoria being misunderstood, not gender dysphoria

Is new fella an anti-GC troll? Normally the gender identity crowd are a bit more er intense.

New fella was talking about dysphoria being misunderstood, not gender dysphoria

Is new fella an anti-GC troll? Normally the gender identity crowd are a bit more er intense.
I am a supporter of increased freedom for registration of gender change.

Gender dysphoria is negative emotional reaction to the belief/knowledge that one is transgender, not to the belief or status itself.

I am a supporter of increased freedom for registration of gender change.

Gender dysphoria is negative emotional reaction to the belief/knowledge that one is transgender, not to the belief or status itself.
Gender dysphoria: A concept designated in the DSM-5 as clinically significant distress or impairment related to a strong desire to be of another gender, which may include desire to change primary and/or secondary sex characteristics. Not all transgender or gender diverse people experience dysphoria.
1617137468271.png
Home │ psychiatry.org › what-is...
What Is Gender Dysphoria? - American Psychiatric Association

Gender dysphoria: A concept designated in the DSM-5 as clinically significant distress or impairment related to a strong desire to be of another gender, which may include desire to change primary and/or secondary sex characteristics. Not all transgender or gender diverse people experience dysphoria.
View attachment 261008
Home │ psychiatry.org › what-is...
What Is Gender Dysphoria? - American Psychiatric Association
And here we go with psychiatry and the DSM again, as if that settles anything.

I'm done with your distraction technique.
You are literally quoting the DSM as if that settles things and then refusing even to acknowledge the controversy that exists around it. If you don’t want to talk about psychology, stop trying to use it as the basis of your arguments.

I do not play games. Do feel free to enter a real debate.

You do play games (it may well be all you are doing) and you don't get to say what constitutes 'real debate' or not.

So enough prevarication and answer your own implicit question: 'imagine saying that you do not subscribe to the notion of certain ethnicity's rights being protected'?

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

You think that psychiatrists are the only ones to have defined dysphoria?

I’ll ask you again — do you know the difference between psychiatry and psychology?

Gender Dysphoria was a new coinage by the APA. The phrase had no meaning of usage before DSM5 was published. Previously DSM IV used the term GID, Gender Identity Disorder.

People have started to use the term to mean other things than the coiner intended. I was merely pointing that out.

Back
Top Bottom