Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is this a thing? Seizure by local councils of 'dj' equipment

Not from “Ordinary” houses because the vast majority of people aren’t serial twats towards their neighbors.

(BTW what was your previous log on?)

No previous here. Given up on Facebook political threads as the mildest reproach leads to a posting ban. I ended up serving thirty days for saying someone's argument was childishly simple!

Border Reivers' Law of the Internet says that any new poster will be assumed to be a troll, an astroturfer, a sock, or a returning banned member. Well done!

I have dealt with removals of equipment from "Care in the Community" clients with limited social skills and poor impulse control.

My flat was very often afters back in the day (not that far back tbh: I was in my 30s mostly) mainly cos it was a stone’s throw from Brixton Station and very convenient for pals to drop by and get more wrecked. I’m sure our neighbours hated us, but they were very friendly all the same.

Nobody in my social circle was ever having parties every weekend, they were just one off things. You’d move around from week to week, or more likely be out at raves in the aforementioned abandoned warehouse end of town.

Some of the best raves I went to involved lots of cloak and dagger shit involving phone numbers that arrived by post, telephone boxes en route winding up in some barn on the North York Moors where we could do our thing all night without pissing everyone off. Good times 😎

Those speakers are powerful, more than capable of causing real issues with noise for neighbors, and it's irrelevant that most of the neighbors might be students. They'd had repeated warnings and refused to change so fuck them. ASB is a huge problem in some areas and drives people away and ruins some people's lives, I'd support far more draconian measures for people that ignore warnings tbh.

Death? :(

More noise insulation, stipulated in building regulations is the answer.

EXACTLY! Why isn't this a thing? Or at least an option on new builds (see also network cabling the whole house)? Why isn't there a company making millions from this? Is it because you'd have to tear out all the plasterboard? Surely there must be some miracle stuff, made in a Chinese lab, that can be injected into walls?

I'm aware of stuff like this on the estate where I live, where there have been ongoing problems with tenants regularly playing loud music, including playing it in the evening and through the night.

Confiscation of equipment isn't the council's knee-jerk reaction/initial response to reports of such antisocial behaviour. You have to behave like a total cunt to get to that point.

Before confiscating equipment, there will have been diary-keeping by the victims of antisocial behaviour for months, if not years. The council will have written to/visited the problematic residents causing the noise nuisance/antisocial behaviour on multiple occasions. The council will also have attended while disturbances were occurring to witness the antisocial behaviour. The council will have installed noise monitoring equipment.

If residents were generally just noisy bastards, playing a bit of loud music from time to time - below certain db levels but still sufficient to make people in neighbouring properties properly miserable - or if they were stomping about on laminate flooring in a flat above other residents, or if they had kids noisily running around and screaming, or if they had a dog barking loudly, the council would be very, very unlikely to take any enforcement action.

The bar for councils taking action is actually set really, really high, above and beyond what most people would think constituted antisocial behaviour/noise nuisance.

So for a council to have seized equipment, it must've been going on for months and months and months, if not years, with lots of polite official requests and then formal warnings to keep the noise down ignored, and there must've been lots of evidence of really banging music at unreasonable hours.

It's actually really, really hard to get a council to take action on something like this, so those responsible must've been acting like total and utter cunts who were making lots of lives miserable in order for equipment to have been confiscated.

The bar for councils taking action is actually set really, really high, above and beyond what most people would think constituted antisocial behaviour/noise nuisance.
I've made noise complaints through two London councils and they both wanted extensive proof, mainly in the form of detailed diaries kept over a period of months with times and descriptions of noise levels.

More noise insulation, stipulated in building regulations is the answer.
EXACTLY! Why isn't this a thing? Or at least an option on new builds (see also network cabling the whole house)? Why isn't there a company making millions from this? Is it because you'd have to tear out all the plasterboard? Surely there must be some miracle stuff, made in a Chinese lab, that can be injected into walls?
Short answer - because proper sound insulation is extremely difficult and thus expensive to do. High frequencies aren’t too difficult to stop, but bass is, requiring things like floating floors (the “room within a room” concept).

Short answer - because proper sound insulation is extremely difficult and thus expensive to do. High frequencies aren’t too difficult to stop, but bass is, requiring things like floating floors (the “room within a room” concept).

Which frequencies are the ones that wake you up? I can't imagine me waking up to the bass rumbling away tbh.

I've made noise complaints through two London councils and they both wanted extensive proof, mainly in the form of detailed diaries kept over a period of months with times and descriptions of noise levels.
And ideally , for a council to go to court for possession , they'll also need other residents to get involved, plus independent witnesses , such as noise nuisance team & the police.

It's a student area and those particular streets are mostly populated by students
So what you're saying in effect is some young people have been complaining about other young people, and we should sympathise with the latter because we were young once. Not much of an argument

And ideally , for a council to go to court for possession , they'll also need other residents to get involved, plus independent witnesses , such as noise nuisance team & the police.
Yeah, the diary was just to get the process started. The first time I did it the process took so long I ended up moving anyway.

I did have one recent case when a leaseholder complained about the tenant upstairs playing music late at night. I rang him several times , initially he said it couldn't be him , but then admitted he did play music loud and wouldn't do it again. I usually advise residents to speak to the culprits , sometimes it isn't possible as they feel intimidated (and often too intimidated to go to court) . In this case , the leaseholder did go upstairs with her mum :D .

He rang me, told me her mum was lovely, they had a nice chat , I think he is smitten by the mum :D hey presto, no more complaints. :thumbs:

I do deal with more serious ASB cases ,and the direct approach can be effective. Years ago, a possee of tenants came in to see me (one of them was nearly 7 foot tall) . They told me they needed the lock to the main front door changed. There had been an issue with one of the flats, the tenant had been sectioned, had given his key to a friend, and the friend started doing crack with his mates. The possee broke in , told them to leave, and they did .

I'm not recommending this as a tactic :hmm: the police were aware and took no action against the possee.

The worst problem I had with a neighbour was when a downstairs neighbour in a block of flats started beekeeping in his postage stamp sized garden. When I phoned the council they just told me bees don't make enough noise to be a problem. :facepalm:. We couldn't open the windows without the little fuckers coming in the house but that's not a problem apparently.

The worst problem I had with a neighbour was when a downstairs neighbour in a block of flats started beekeeping in his postage stamp sized garden. When I phoned the council they just told me bees don't make enough noise to be a problem. :facepalm:. We couldn't open the windows without the little fuckers coming in the house but that's not a problem apparently.
Difficult one , if it was a council tenancy, you need permission to do that , but I'm not aware of any bee-keeping possession cases. It isn't a noise issue but is a nuisance one . Difficult to take that sort of thing to court tbh, I've never come across a case like that in 25+ years in housing.

I did have one recent case when a leaseholder complained about the tenant upstairs playing music late at night. I rang him several times , initially he said it couldn't be him , but then admitted he did play music loud and wouldn't do it again. I usually advise residents to speak to the culprits , sometimes it isn't possible as they feel intimidated (and often too intimidated to go to court) . In this case , the leaseholder did go upstairs with her mum :D .

He rang me, told me her mum was lovely, they had a nice chat , I think he is smitten by the mum :D hey presto, no more complaints. :thumbs:

I do deal with more serious ASB cases ,and the direct approach can be effective. Years ago, a possee of tenants came in to see me (one of them was nearly 7 foot tall) . They told me they needed the lock to the main front door changed. There had been an issue with one of the flats, the tenant had been sectioned, had given his key to a friend, and the friend started doing crack with his mates. The possee broke in , told them to leave, and they did .

I'm not recommending this as a tactic :hmm: the police were aware and took no action against the possee.
Where I used to live, the tenant in the flat above would play Chas and Dave really loud on those rare occasions when spurs won. Riled as I was I am glad I didn't trek upstairs to remonstrate as he was convicted of murder, and the irritation went away

I live in a block of three flats. I'm on the top floor, under a flat roof. My ground floor neighbour wanted to keep bees on the roof above me, but I nixed that idea. It's bad enough in the summer with occasional bees and wasps getting in through open windows or wriggling in through the air bricks.

Which frequencies are the ones that wake you up? I can't imagine me waking up to the bass rumbling away tbh.
I am particularly sensitive to bass especially in beat form. Sometimes my wife can't even hear it but it will be driving me absolutely insane. I have enough trouble with my neighbor playing music at a quite reasonable level . . . But the bass is like someone tapping me the head all day. I don't complain because I know he is not taking the piss. If it was all day every day at higher levels I would go insane, even if it was only bass frequencies.

years ago some students moved on to my street set up a sound system and thought Tuesday night was a good idea to test it out!
the council didn't want to know several other neighbors kicked the door in threatened the students smashed the system.
Students called the police nobody saw anything. Police weren't exactly pushing to crack the case. Students did a runner letting agent got their car egged when they turned up with a new bunch of prospective students.

Yes that’s fair. Also continue taking away the equipment from repeat offending selfish twats.

Back
Top Bottom