Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

It will be very good if he fucks everything up, it’ll be a good light to see him in. People might take a second guess next time one of these masters of the universe rolls in

Bro owns 50% of SpaceX. If that IPOed or SPACed you could justify just about any valuation you liked. Definitely north of $1 trn.

SpaceX has an estimated value of $200 billion. So, no, it wouldn't be.

That would mean SpaceX is about as valuable as Nestlé or SAP. No way. An IPO would be a hysterical gold rush completely unmoored from the fundamentals of cash flow and balance sheet.

Bro is going to be one of the wealthiest people on Earth for the rest of his ketamine fuelled days no matter what.

That would mean SpaceX is about as valuable as Nestlé or SAP. No way. An IPO would be a hysterical gold rush completely unmoored from the fundamentals of cash flow and balance sheet.

Bro is going to be one of the wealthiest people on Earth for the rest of his ketamine fuelled days no matter what.
Its not even the worlds most valuable start up (or, wouldn't be at that price). The one true word in your post is 'hysterical'

Tesla at one point had a stock price that valued it at more than the next 10 most valuable automakers combined, I can see SpaceX's valuation also going off the charts if there's a big enough surge in interest from Musk fans or people hoping to get rich off the stock, especially if Musk starts coming out with a load of shit about how self-driving spacecraft or whatever for personal trips to the moon will be ready in just a few more years

This is where it gets complicated. The world needed SpaceX. Having satellite launches be pretty much only in the realm of national governments was a bad thing, long term. It's not like they organised themselves to avoid space junk, it was a fucking Wild West anyhow so reducing launch costs and opening it to more business could only be a good thing. And I have to give His Muskiness the credit to put his money where his (incredibly large) mouth is. That said, beyond the initial investment, I think SpaceX is mainly successful despite Musk. They do, quite famously, have a fulltime member of staff dedicated to handling their most senior investor and stopping him from meddling too much. The guy is loco, no doubt, but there are some instances where you need a loco investor to kick start things and SpaceX is a good example.

Tesla is a bit greyer, as Musk didn't start that himself but he did make it possible from them to actually get to market. The world needed to see an electric carmaker succeed to get off their arses and do something. It looks like, in the long term, Tesla might get buried by the Big Boys but they'll have done their job. Electrification is probably 10 years ahead of where it would have been without them. Again, they needed a crazy investor and there he was.

But the fact is this guy was throwing darts, blindfolded, at a dartboard full of his childhood obsessions. These are his pet projects. You've seen his other pet projects (including his unfortunate children) and you know the guy is unstable. If not edging on Evil Badguy intent on world domination. I'd personally have nothing to do with him, but I have to acknowledge showing up with funding where it was needed for some truly disrupting technologies. That's how history works, in the main. There are a few things that slowly evolve, but most of them move in big bangs (evolution included!) and there has to be something to drive it. Just be happy it's a loony South African and not another World War that did it.

As for his other projects... 🤯 You can only be lucky so often.

So my epitaph would be: "Elon Musk. Tosser. Spent his inheritance mostly usefully."

Tesla at one point had a stock price that valued it at more than the next 10 most valuable automakers combined, I can see SpaceX's valuation also going off the charts if there's a big enough surge in interest from Musk fans or people hoping to get rich off the stock, especially if Musk starts coming out with a load of shit about how self-driving spacecraft or whatever for personal trips to the moon will be ready in just a few more years

TSLA has traded at an income multiple of 1200x where a typical number for the rest of the automotive industry would be 5-7x.

The madness around a hypothetical SpaceX flotation would be even more intense. I'd be a buyer in size given the opportunity.

Elon Musk compared himself to a Vogon back in 2018—a simpler time, when he hadn’t yet bought Twitter (er, “X”) and melted his frontal lobe with a nonstop stream of racist memes. He still had a little self-awareness then, and could poke fun at himself. But those days are long gone, and last month Musk really let his Vogonity loose.

On September 18 the world’s (sometimes) richest man tweeted a poem, entirely unprovoked.

Secular Religon?

supposedly

Among systems that have been characterized as secular religions are liberalism, anarchism, communism, nazism, fascism, Jacobinism, Juche, Maoism, Religion of Humanity, the cults of personality, the Cult of Reason and Cult of the Supreme Being.

Yea like anarchism and the cult of the supreme being share so much

Secular Religon?

supposedly

Among systems that have been characterized as secular religions are liberalism, anarchism, communism, nazism, fascism, Jacobinism, Juche, Maoism, Religion of Humanity, the cults of personality, the Cult of Reason and Cult of the Supreme Being.

Yea like anarchism and the cult of the supreme being share so much

"Proper" religions are very diverse. Why couldn't "secular religions" be likewise very different from one another?

The idea of a "secular religion" is contradictory nonsense, but the diversity of ideologies and worldviews that get called that is a poor argument against the concept.

Of all the latest developments on his plaything, "your blocked accounts can see you again" is perhaps the worst. I can imagine a mass exodus from an already dying site.
Screenshot_20241017-001628~2.png

They've also just updated the privacy policy to make it impossible to opt out of your content being used to train their shitty GenAI.

You can currently turn that off in settings, not sure if you will still be able to after the changes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom