Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

"I fit the customer profile for one to a T. I am tall. I am white. I am loud. I don’t really have many friends where I live. Most important, I desperately want people to think I’m cool. You can see my thirst from the f—king moon"

"I fit the customer profile for one to a T. I am tall. I am white. I am loud. I don’t really have many friends where I live. Most important, I desperately want people to think I’m cool. You can see my thirst from the f—king moon"

”He suspected we were going to say mean s—t about Elon, and he was right. Elon Musk is a penis.” 🤣

This is making my skin itch just thinking about “There is no physical gearshift. Instead, you swipe up or down on the touchscreen to shift into drive or reverse.”

What can you say, I guess it’s good the move toward electrical trucks now. But boy does that sound horrible to drive. Having to operate through an app? It’s like driving a big iPhone with wheels. I like my car. I get in. Pull and push a few things and I’m off. Old man shouts at the tide not to come in.

It was; some cracking lines, best laugh for me was "like driving around in an unfurnished apartment."
yep - I'd finished half but on recommendations I went back and the second half was worth reading too :)

Due to its massive curb weight (3.5 tons), refilling the Cybertruck’s battery took forever.

Fucking hell. That's got to mean huge road damage and presumably tyre particulates :eek:

What can you say, I guess it’s good the move toward electrical trucks now. But boy does that sound horrible to drive. Having to operate through an app? It’s like driving a big iPhone with wheels. I like my car. I get in. Pull and push a few things and I’m off. Old man shouts at the tide not to come in.

Over a century of car safety lessons through experience have taught us that a big stinking lever to make the car stop is essential and that crumple zones and clear lines of sight save lives and Melon Fusk is cheerfully ignoring them to make the car digital and look kewl

Over a century of car safety lessons through experience have taught us that a big stinking lever to make the car stop is essential and that crumple zones and clear lines of sight save lives and Melon Fusk is cheerfully ignoring them to make the car digital and look kewl
Disrupting human safety

I don't drive, but that idea also feels like it was thought up by someone who doesn't drive. Like, they have a license (that they probably didn't even legally pass a test for) and they assume their chauffeurs can use touchscreens because duh, the passengers can!

It would be incredibly funny if they became a laughing stock. People pissinf themselves laughing at the truck and driver as they pass. The literal complete opposite of musks intention.

Is he gleaning data everytime someone drives? I guess so? Freedom and surveillance pretty indistinguishable these days.

This is making my skin itch just thinking about “There is no physical gearshift. Instead, you swipe up or down on the touchscreen to shift into drive or reverse.”

Sounds like I would fucking hate it. I like my technology with knobs to twiddle, sticks to shift and buttons to push. Touchscreen controls are a compromise solution that do not belong controlling the basic functions of a motor vehicle. They're an adequate solution on smartphones because they're designed to do many complex things in a form factor no larger than a small notepad. But when you're driving three and a half tons of high-speed metal and plastic, you need the most unambiguous physical feedback possible, so that you can manipulate the controls with confidence while keeping both of your eyes on the road.

Meanwhile other manufacturers are including things like steering wheel-mounted gear shift paddles and head-up displays.

Back
Top Bottom