Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

Don't think this has been posted yet:

This is the person who's technically supposed to be leading the charge to turn things around, especially with the creditors. Absolutely bonkers interview from last week with her making these weirdly snide comments at the audience throughout, treating her interviewer like a hostile lawyer and not knowing her brief. She'd been blindsided by a previous interview in which Twitter's former head of trust Yoel Roth went after the company (also worth watching, he's pretty blunt) but just amazingly unprofessional from a supposed hotshot CEO whose main role is supposed to be y'know, calming panic about Twitter's stability.

or this long Yaccarino interview with the FT at the weekend,
archived here

snippage
Our final interview closes on a surprising note. During our conversations, Yaccarino has fiercely and consistently defended Musk’s vision for X. Even so, she seems genuinely shaken by vitriolic personal attacks. “The thing that weighs on me a great deal is the pressure and the burden of the intense and relentless public scrutiny,” she says. “I don’t know if any human being could anticipate or prepare for that. It’s hard. It’s hard on me. It’s hard on my family, my children, my parents, and that, I would say, in the first 100 days is a continual learning process to balance that.” This is what Twitter has become in its often dizzying, sometimes grotesque transformation into X. A more freewheeling forum with fewer guardrails on speech seems to have been the whole point. Yaccarino takes off her glasses for the first time. “While I did have a very outward facing or high-profile role in my last job, certainly the intensity is very different. That hits big.”

I feel like that'd be a naive take on the likely consequences of taking on the top role even at pre-Musk Twitter tbh. Toxic personal attacks are practically its major USP.

How the fuck is Tesla stock going up? Build quality is still shit and the Cybertruck is shaping up to be an ugly-looking flop. It makes no sense.
They're selling like hot cakes, and tbs build quality is getting better (although that just means they're made properly not the cost is worth what you get in terms of materials)...

They're selling like hot cakes, and tbs build quality is getting better (although that just means they're made properly not the cost is worth what you get in terms of materials)...
Anecdotal I know but I have noticed a lot more on the road in recent weeks. In SE London.

"I will have to continue to follow X, of course, because it’s part of my job." [But I don't want you plebs reading it, you might get funny ideas]

Don't forget the rest of the context immediately afterwards: "But it’s time to step back as an engaged user".

He means he will continue following X as a matter of journalistic interest, not by continuing to engage with the platform as a user. In the paragraph immediately preceding your dishonest quote mine, he mentions deleting the app from his phone.

Last edited:
Don't forget the rest of the context immediately afterwards: "But it’s time to step back as an engaged user".

He means he will continue following X as a matter of journalistic interest, not by continuing to engage with the platform as a user. In the paragraph immediately preceding your dishonest quote mine, he mentions deleting the app from his phone.

How will he follow it if he's deleted the app? He's telling porkies.

He's going to continue reading it himself, but he wants us to stop reading it. Sounds dishonest to me.

Because it's part of his job. You are aware of the difference between reading Xhitter as part of your journalistic responsibilities, and doing it on one's own time, yes?

Back
Top Bottom