Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Is Elon Musk the greatest visionary or the greatest snake oil salesman of our age?

tweeter seems to have a woofer instead today

View attachment 369238

it may be connected with this

:confused:

Christ, what a fucking loser Musk is. Imaging thinking that shit is funny. Still, bet his fans are loving it

"Musk defenders - assemble!"

View attachment 368398

I have no idea. Just they are all wearing sunglasses which is statistically odd.

It's definitely a pattern that anyone on social media with an avatar showing themselves wearing a big ol' pair of (usually fake) Oakleys is almost certain to be some kind of political troglodyte.

They don't want people seeing their eyes, because they're terrified and insecure and everything about them is performative.

The billionaire as "stranger subject" - rarely glimpsed, extremely private. Biographers spend years trying to find sources of info. Doesn't event know what a retweet is. Hasn't 'liked' a photo since his grandma showed one of his grandpa in his military uniform. Spends three months a year sunbathing on his private island.

Musk:

He's the perfect neoliberal subject. Signing up constantly to his own exploitation through the endless need to 'win' as an individual - the private has now to be public and manipulated into a horror show of vacuous empty narcissism. All the while thinking the real problem is a few sjw on ticktok.

All sorts of interesting thought experiments can be made with this guy. He can be held up to be used for all sorts of understanding by comparing and contrasting and imagining.

He's the perfect neoliberal subject. Signing up constantly to his own exploitation through the endless need to 'win' as an individual - the private has now to be public and manipulated into a horror show of vacuous empty narcissism. All the while thinking the real problem is a few sjw on ticktok.

I really just don’t get why he’s done all this stuff. Sure, he’s oversold all manner of shit, but some of the rocket stuff was really cool.

It’s such a weird limb to go out on, from rockets and electric cars to then buy a massive social media company.

It’s like he got a bit giddy after the novelty flamethrower thing.

I really just don’t get why he’s done all this stuff. Sure, he’s oversold all manner of shit, but some of the rocket stuff was really cool.

It’s such a weird limb to go out on, from rockets and electric cars to then buy a massive social media company.

The Bro Rogan affect? Smokes spliff on the podcast and from then on thinks he's the ultimate in subversive cool. Think it definitely was a turning point in his behaviour and online life. He hasn't got the nuance or background in the humanities to see that the he is the ultimate advocate for the "matrix". Like many things today, there's a crisis in 'humanness', 'being', 'how one finds oneself'. I don't hate him for it. He's just a far out node on the overall machine. We all are to a greater or lesser extent.

The Bro Rogan affect? Smokes spliff on the podcast and from then on thinks he's the ultimate in subversive cool. Think it definitely was a turning point in his behaviour and online life. He hasn't got the nuance or background in the humanities to see that the he is the ultimate advocate for the "matrix". Like many things today, there's a crisis in 'humanness', 'being', 'how one finds oneself'. I don't hate him for it. He's just a far out node on the overall machine. We all are to a greater or lesser extent.

I couldn't guess at his background in the humanities as such, but I find him very unrelatable as a person.

In a fit of what I can only think of as petulance Musk has decreed that substack links on twitter should be restricted. Originally people were saying that you couldn't reply to Tweets that had sbustack links in them or retweet but that doesn't seem to actually be the case. However when you click on a substack link you may very well see this:

1680952008140.png

This has come about because substack is introducing a rival to Twitter called Notes and Musk doesn't like it.

Twitter Takes Aim at Posts That Link to Its Rival Substack

Last edited:
He's done some interview with the BBC. I watched about 1 minute before turning off. Musk is just inarticulate, boring and weird.
I finally got round to watching this (on 1.2x speed, which helps). I watched it on the BBC website but I think this is the same thing:

I have to say that the interviewer doesn’t really facilitate the best of conversations. He’s constantly interrupting and he doesn’t engage with what Musk is saying. I don’t think Musk is giving politician-style evasive answers. I think he’s actually trying to be pretty honest in his opinion. But that’s not good enough for the interviewer, who wants simple, on-rails answers. Partially as a result of this and partially as a result of Musk’s answers being kind of reasonable even if I don’t agree with him, I think he comes away from the interview okay. Certainly not Nonce Andrew levels of nightmare

I finally got round to watching this (on 1.2x speed, which helps). I watched it on the BBC website but I think this is the same thing:

I have to say that the interviewer doesn’t really facilitate the best of conversations. He’s constantly interrupting and he doesn’t engage with what Musk is saying. I don’t think Musk is giving politician-style evasive answers. I think he’s actually trying to be pretty honest in his opinion. But that’s not good enough for the interviewer, who wants simple, on-rails answers. Partially as a result of this and partially as a result of Musk’s answers being kind of reasonable even if I don’t agree with him, I think he comes away from the interview okay. Certainly not Nonce Andrew levels of nightmare

Yeah, I only watched a little snippet from the Beeb website before.
I don't think the full interview in context is going to do Musk any harm, not sure I could say as much for the BBC reporter.

What I'm hearing is that he bought Twitter as a source of data to feed AI development. His talk about the evils of AI is just his way of trying to slow down the competition, who has a hefty lead on him. I don't have the reference point to know if that's true or not, but it makes some of his movements make more sense. On the other hand, his moves may really not make sense.

Back
Top Bottom