Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

They're awful. It's good to see a new young quick on the scene in Janssen though. Looks like he'll have a good future but already got the filthy aggressive thing going. I guess Steyn always looked like he was about to kill you but since he's taken up commentary he's actually a really nice dude.

Bangladesh and NZ playing so nicely they're going to potentially wrap up their game before the ashes start.

I'm quite enjoying Boult's running commentary as he bats. Shouting 'no run!' as the ball flies past him into the keeper's gloves.

I'm fairly sure Boult gave a little half raised bat on his way out there :D Clearly takes his batting quite seriously.

I watched some of Bangladesh batting over the last couple of days. Patient, at times dour, batting. I genuinely think they're better than England's lineup. Flat pitch, sure, but it's been swinging, hooping at times.

I'm quite enjoying Boult's running commentary as he bats. Shouting 'no run!' as the ball flies past him into the keeper's gloves.
Cartoon a couple of decades ago in Private Eye? with batsman at non strikers end holding up his hand as fast bowler comes in chucking the ball at pace "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Cartoon a couple of decades ago in Private Eye? with batsman at non strikers end holding up his hand as fast bowler comes in chucking the ball at pace "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Boult seemed to be the opposite. Farming the strike from Wagner who comes in before him. In commentary they noted that he's not even joking, he really does take his batting that seriously, bless him.

Some context to that. This is the first game in 17 at home that the Kiwis have lost, and this will be the first home series that they haven't won since 2017. They're masters of their own conditions.

Well I don't have the stats but India are pretty good at preparing 3 day pitches and selecting 3 spinners and England don't do too badly at prepping lovely conditions for Jimmy and Broad.

The weirdest thing about the Ashes series is that for some reason the Aussies prepared a green seaming pitch in Brisbane and England both left out their best seamers and then batted. Totally bizarre on both sides.

England have been masters of their own conditions until this year.

India last lost a series at home against England whenever it was, about 2013.

But NZ are also masters of their own conditions. (Didn't say they were the only ones.) In NZ, you have to be prepared to dig in with the bat and the ball at times, to bowl attritional lines, to choose shots selectively. Bangladesh did exactly that and beat NZ at their own game. Some uncharacteristically loose batting from NZ middle and lower order, has to be said. But take nothing away from Bangladesh.

Bangladesh's bowling coach admitted their strategy was just bowl stump to stump especially after NZs first innings when there wasn't a lot going.

Bangladesh's bowling coach admitted their strategy was just bowl stump to stump especially after NZs first innings when there wasn't a lot going.

It's incredible other touring sides haven't figured that out. That pitch was a road so I think NZ must have just been totally complacent and as chilled out as the spectators lying on the grass there in the sunshine. All very village cricket (in a good way).

Saffers v India getting even more tasty. Mid pitch verbals between Jansen and Bumrah. Cricket doesn't need this to spill over too far.

Smart cricket from India. Not a pitch on which you can hang around. Pujara, Rahane and co realised that. 240 is a steep ask on this pitch against that bowling attack.

Where the hell was Williamson anyway. NZ would have won that I think with him. Havent seen him on the scene in ages.

Where the hell was Williamson anyway. NZ would have won that I think with him. Havent seen him on the scene in ages.
Elbow problem. Out until at least March. He played through the pain in the t20 WC. Hopefully that wasn't a foolish decision.

He may have made a difference, may not. Bangladesh were missing their all-time-great player as well, though, so they were even on that score.

I think Williamson is a cut above that. Over two innings we're looking at a guaranteed 100 runs, probably more. Would have made an interesting chase.

Last edited:
By contrast, Shakib was missing by choice. Shame for him to miss such a moment given how he has carried a much worse team in the past.

Halfway there, two down, good game.

I'd say it's too close to call now, though I definitely thought India would win at the beginning of the 4th innings.

Back
Top Bottom