Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

Think England won four out of five tosses last outing in India. Fat lot of good it did them. But yes, saw a thing on cricinfo about it. In the last couple of years, winning the toss has been a bigger factor in the result than home/away.

Its a bit sad to think that ball tampering had such a significant impact on the strength of the aussie bowling.
It is. But it's also hard to reach any other conclusion. They may have gone to the other extreme now as India got it reversing ok.

It is. But it's also hard to reach any other conclusion. They may have gone to the other extreme now as India got it reversing ok.

Although they got caught in such a clumsy cack-handed way it's hard to imagine they were getting away with it for too long. Maybe the TV people in Australia weren't quite as attentive as in SA.:hmm:

Although they got caught in such a clumsy cack-handed way it's hard to imagine they were getting away with it for too long. Maybe the TV people in Australia weren't quite as attentive as in SA.:hmm:
Only they can know that, ultimately. All we can see is Mitchell Starc hooping it around when England couldn't last year and gunbarrel straight this year. It's still a bit of an unresolved issue, tbh, as most teams try it on. Not sure what the solution is - strict enforcement of the rules combined with a total change from Kookaburra to Duke's in tests, perhaps? The frankly rather rubbish Kookaburra is part of the problem here as it goes soft so quickly. But no doubt there is a commercial reason why they are so widely used.

Astonishing fight by Sri Lanka against S Africa. Needing 78 to win with one wicket left, they've put on 58 (50 of them to Perera). Still going, 20 to win, would be a world record last wicket stand to win a Test.

Edit 14 to win now, Perera just hit Rabada for six (like he did Steyn in the last over).

Edit 2 - Four to win, Perera on strike to Rabada.

Wow. Just wow. SL win.

Last edited:
Fuck me.

Incredible win. Wheels totally came off the SA speed machine there. Well done SL. Amazing from Perera. Farmed the strike like a master.

test cricket :cool:

It's been an absolutely amazing six months for test cricket. Some one-sided affairs here and there, but also India beating Aus in Aus for the first time, England beating SL in SL, NZ beating Pakistan in UAE, WI beating England (at home, but still), and now this.

Congratulations to Sri Lanka, first Asian side to win a series in S Africa. Along with NZ beating Pak in UAE and WIndies beating England these are three shock results in a very short space of time.

Amazing win. I thought it would be close today.

By all accounts there was nothing wrong with the wicket. What there very clearly is something wrong with is test match batsmen. The rise of t20 initially had me worried that bowlers would lose the ability to play test cricket. That has not happened at all - if anything t20 has simply forced bowlers to become more accurate and more thoughtful. But the evidence is mounting that it has severely dented batsmen's ability to apply themselves. Collapse after collapse after collapse.

Congratulations to Sri Lanka, first Asian side to win a series in S Africa. Along with NZ beating Pak in UAE and WIndies beating England these are three shock results in a very short space of time.
I would add England beating Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka to that list. After all SL had beaten Aus and South Africa at home not long before that - there was talk after the series of SL being a poor team, but look at them now, and before the series, SL were clear favourites. And India getting their first ever series win in Aus after more than 50 years of trying. It's been a remarkable six months, and just when we were decrying the lack of away wins, four come along in no time at all.

Indeed. The only thing I really disagree with you on was the expectation 20/20 might ruin bowlers. There was always an argument it would ruin batsmen, and to some extent with the apparent lack of application that might be the case.

Conversely though, the scoring rates are higher and that undoubtedly contributed to SL winning both these tests. In the one wicket win they did it in no time at all with Perera hitting sixes. In this one they won before lunch, which nobody expected. In both games they might have struggled to “get ‘em in singles”. Those days may well be over.

Duanne Olivier gives up international cricket having just established himself in it with a storming 49 wickets at 19 in his first 10 tests. Aged 26, he's gone Kolpak with Yorkshire. I scratch my head at that. SA offered him a two-year contract to try to stop him from doing it. He had every chance of playing lots of international cricket. Maybe an IPL contract somewhere along the line, if he's worried about money. He's still at the start of his career really. And he's given it all up.

I get why people like Morne Morkel or Fidel Edwards turn Kolpak. Fast bowlers nearing the end of their careers. But I really don't get someone like Olivier doing it. Shame on English cricket for doing this as well. Do they have no sense of a wider responsibility? Clearly not.

Olivier was offered 2 years at 50k per year by SA but 3 years at 100k per year by Yorkshire. Even with Philander and Steyn coming to the end of their careers there was no guarantee he would be picked (was he dropped for the SL series?). There's also a question mark over whether (new) Kolpak signings will be allowed in the UK after 29 March so he needed to jump whilst he could, and maybe change the decision later.

Olivier was offered 2 years at 50k per year by SA but 3 years at 100k per year by Yorkshire. Even with Philander and Steyn coming to the end of their careers there was no guarantee he would be picked (was he dropped for the SL series?). There's also a question mark over whether (new) Kolpak signings will be allowed in the UK after 29 March so he needed to jump whilst he could, and maybe change the decision later.
No, that's the point. There is no changing of the decision later. That's effectively it. He's gone. Three years down the line, he'll either still be playing well and so extend his Yorkshire contract (and be a long way from SA selection having not played in SA cricket in that period) or he'll somehow have declined and so he won't have a contract anywhere.

He wasn't dropped for the SL series. SA actually played a batsman short to fit him in, a dangerous game as it turned out - Philander's not good enough to bat 7. And there are no guarantees, but that 50k per year will exclude match fees. It would have likely been a lot more than that, plus international cricket is the best place to advertise yourself for the IPL, which could dwarf either of those two figures. And, he played County Cricket last season as an overseas pro. There is no doubt he could have done so again this year given the international season he's just had. That 50k a year is really just a starting point on which he could have built a lot more.

ETA:

This Guardian article about it has annoyed me. It brings up quotas, but I fail to see what quotas have to do with this. The first-three choices in the current attack of Steyn, Philander, Rabada are two-thirds non-white and 100% justified as first choices due to being worldbeaters, all three of them. It's lazy journalism to blame this on the quota system. Similar things were said when Kyle Abbott did a kolpak. It was similarly unjustified then as well.

Last edited:
No, that's the point. There is no changing of the decision later. That's effectively it. He's gone. Three years down the line, he'll either still be playing well and so extend his Yorkshire contract (and be a long way from SA selection having not played in SA cricket in that period) or he'll somehow have declined and so he won't have a contract anywhere.

He wasn't dropped for the SL series. SA actually played a batsman short to fit him in, a dangerous game as it turned out - Philander's not good enough to bat 7. And there are no guarantees, but that 50k per year will exclude match fees. It would have likely been a lot more than that, plus international cricket is the best place to advertise yourself for the IPL, which could dwarf either of those two figures. And, he played County Cricket last season as an overseas pro. There is no doubt he could have done so again this year given the international season he's just had. That 50k a year is really just a starting point on which he could have built a lot more.

ETA:

This Guardian article about it has annoyed me. It brings up quotas, but I fail to see what quotas have to do with this. The first-three choices in the current attack of Steyn, Philander, Rabada are two-thirds non-white and 100% justified as first choices due to being worldbeaters, all three of them. It's lazy journalism to blame this on the quota system. Similar things were said when Kyle Abbott did a kolpak. It was similarly unjustified then as well.
I should have checked if he'd played in the latest series.. but he can play for SA again. Jacques Rudolph did after signing a Kolpak with Yorkshire. I imagine there are others. As he's played international cricket, he's already put himself in the market for IPL etc.

I should have checked if he'd played in the latest series.. but he can play for SA again. Jacques Rudolph did after signing a Kolpak with Yorkshire. I imagine there are others. As he's played international cricket, he's already put himself in the market for IPL etc.
True he did. I'd forgotten that. He had been dropped by SA after an extended bad trot of form when he signed that contract, though. And he had to play a full season back in SA after ending his kolpak before he was considered again for selection. Even if he comes back directly after this contract, Olivier won't be playing for SA again until he's past 30. And he's a seam bowler, not a batsman, which matters for that - you're effectively pushing to be picked as a new player past the age of 30, which doesn't happen often for seam bowlers. He's also currently a first pick in the test team who's had a storming season, in stark contrast to Rudolph's status when he kolpakked off.

Is IPL international.. never mind. Yes/No to the Ashwon mankadding of Buttler? How can he do that to the delightfully mild Buttler? :mad:

D2hU7syW0AAkoZK.jpg

Was watching it at the time. Took the commentators a few seconds to realise what had happened. Even after a few replays Harsha Bhogle said fair dismissal, the others (Michael Clarke and someone else) said disgusting. Ashwon was the captain as well as the bowler so presumably the umpire gave him the chance to withdraw the appeal and he refused. All more than a bit shitty.

That's bang lout of order. Ashwin is into his delivery stride and pulls up. I'm all for Mankading non-strikers who take the piss but Butler wasn't. Very poor from Ashwin.
The vid doesn't quite start early enough to show exactly where he is as Ashwin enters his delivery stride. Doesn't look good, though. But it went to the third umpire - that seems to be the confusion here. Law is pretty clear - and I'm also all for Mankading as a matter of course, no warning first.

How on earth can that be given out? The bowler has already carried the ball past the stumps and the batsman is still in his crease. If the batsman has already left his crease before the bowler reaches the stumps it's fine to run him out in my book.
That's a still. The runout hasn't happened yet. A couple of frames later Buttler's about 8 inches out and Ravi pulls up and does him. My issue with that is that the bowler has played for it. Doesn't look like he had any intention of delivering the ball. Fair play taking the bails off if he's been backing up by a yard or two all afternoon, but that one was just grubby.

That's a still. The runout hasn't happened yet. A couple of frames later Buttler's about 8 inches out and Ravi pulls up and does him.
Yeah, but the rule is that the batsman must stay in his crease until the bowler enters his delivery stride. Bowler can't abort mid-action. Bowler's pulled out of his action, so dead ball.

/John Holder

Yeah, but the rule is that the batsman must stay in his crease until the bowler enters his delivery stride. Bowler can't abort mid-action. Bowler's pulled out of his action, so dead ball.

/John Holder
That changed a couple of years ago. It used to be allowed 'before the delvery stride' but now it's something like 'up to the moment of delivery of the ball'. RA hasn't done anything against the rules here which is why the 3rd ump called it that way.

That changed a couple of years ago. It used to be allowed 'before the delvery stride' but now it's something like 'before the delivery of the ball'. RA hasn't done anything against the rules here which is why the 3rd ump called it that way.
Ah, didn't know that. Explains it. You know why they changed it?

It's where the bowler would be expected to have delivered it.

41.16 Non-striker leaving his/her ground early

If the non-striker is out of his/her ground at any time from the moment the ball comes into play until the instant when the bowler would normally have been expected to release the ball, the non-striker is liable to be Run out. In these circumstances, the non-striker will be out Run out if he/she is out of his/her ground when his/her wicket is put down by the bowler throwing the ball at the stumps or by the bowler’s hand holding the ball, whether or not the ball is subsequently delivered.

If the ball is not delivered and there is an appeal,
• the umpire shall make his/her decision on the Run out. If it is not out, he/she shall call and signal Dead ball as soon as possible.
• the ball shall not count as one in the over.

If the ball is delivered and there is an appeal,
• the umpire shall make his/her decision on the Run out.
• if the non-striker is not dismissed, the ball remains in play and Law 21.6 (Bowler breaking wicket in delivering ball) shall apply.
• if the non-striker is dismissed, the ball shall not count as one in the over.

Back
Top Bottom