Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

Yes they can. Well deserved series win for nz and after five months this tour is finally over. Thank fuck for that.

Well played kiwis. Catches win matches. Four put down in this innings.

Great finish and a great example of why test cricket matches need to last five days.

Sodhi and Wagner batted 30 overs. They can dine out on that for oh a few decades.

Reactions: OzT
Three?? lol!! :)
Remember when Sodhi and Wagner blocked out the last two hours in the gloom in Christchurch to clinch the series against England? NZ don't beat England very often. This is a proper high point in NZ cricket. Test cricket matters.

Questions have to be asked. Why such a long tour. Why one coach for all three formats. And when the fuck are they going to put Cook and Moeen out to pasture. I'm sure they'll do better in the summer at home but apparently this is the worst overseas run since WW2. There have to be better options than Stoneman, Vince and Leach. Malan looked a better spinner than him ffs.

Why not such a long tour? It's culminated with a terrific match.

Why so few properly competitive warm-up matches on such a long tour? Is perhaps a better question. The death of the meaningful tour match is a thing that needs addressing.

Oh and moeen was excellent as recently as last summer. He had a stinker of a tour but I think it's disingenuous to pretend he started the tour with questions being asked of him.

Why not such a long tour? It's culminated with a terrific match.

Why so few properly competitive warm-up matches on such a long tour? Is perhaps a better question. The death of the meaningful tour match is a thing that needs addressing.

England looked exhausted. It's the longest tour for decades.

England looked exhausted. It's the longest tour for decades.
Did they? Stuart Broad looked like he's finally woken up. If they looked exhausted at the end of a day when they bowled 100 overs in a desperate attempt to win a match, well that's not so surprising.

Did they? Stuart Broad looked like he's finally woken up. If they looked exhausted at the end of a day when they bowled 100 overs in a desperate attempt to win a match, well that's not so surprising.

Broad did look much better, agreed. Root not so much. I know we all enjoyed 5 months straight of cricket on the box but it's really not fair on young lads with young families imo. I start to fret if I'm away for work for two weeks. Can't imagine what it's like for some of these guys.

I’m glad they lost, victory would have (sand)papered over the cracks that are obvious to see now.

I certainly don’t know the selection answers, don’t even know why some of the problems are occurring (Moeen). As pointed out, Moeen was brilliant last summer. I don’t think you lose class overnight. I’d persevere. But do we have a coach even qualified to do that? My suspicions still lay with Moeen being fucked around as the utility man too much. But like I said, I don’t really know.

Do we write Leach off in one test, a test played on a non-spinner friendly pitch? Who is the alternative there? I’ve always had my doubts over Stoneman, you can’t have all those innings and not pass 60. Vince I said flattered to deceive in Adelaide. I’d love him to turn into Gower. He’s not going to.

And yes the tour was too long, elongated by money. And without Bairstow and Wood, at 162-7, we could have been talking another battering, not a great match at the end of a tour.

England cricket is not in a great place, white ball aside. I predict famine.

And NZ has overtaken them to move into third in the test rankings. Bit of a humiliation right there. Coaches and captains have been sacked for less than this shit run they're on.

And NZ has overtaken them to move into third in the test rankings. Bit of a humiliation right there. Coaches and captains have been sacked for less than this shit run they're on.

This'll be a function of the ranking system. It works on series won or lost, not matches. IIRC winning a two-match series is worth as much in terms of rankings as a five-match series.

Not that I'd dispute that NZ are currently a better side than England. But the rankings system is a load of bollocks. And the kiwis get fewer fixtures so England could overtake them again before they've had the chance to play another test.

This'll be a function of the ranking system. It works on series won or lost, not matches. IIRC winning a two-match series is worth as much in terms of rankings as a five-match series.

Not that I'd dispute that NZ are currently a better side than England. But the rankings system is a load of bollocks.
Hmm. We're going to play five tests against them (cos money) and two against you (cos no money) and so we can get more points than you and rank higher (cos money).

Quite so, see the edit to my post.
Different countries have different busy times of the year. In rolling rankings there will always be movement up and down at different times for different teams. I think the tour programme does okay in terms of getting the top eight at least playing everywhere (India v Pakistan excepted). And Bangladesh have been getting a better crack at it recently. But England play five test series v India and aus and nobody else cos money and that does distort things.

I'd personally rather watch NZ v England than the aussies at the moment. I think they deserve a five test series next time round. I understand why India's lucrative given the size of the fan base, but why Australia?

India, England and Australia have vastly more money than anyone else. You really don't have to look further than that for the explanation.

I'd personally rather watch NZ v England than the aussies at the moment. I think they deserve a five test series next time round. I understand why India's lucrative given the size of the fan base, but why Australia?

More touring fans with Aus vs England. And I'm sure a test match ticket in Sydney or London costs more than one in Mumbai.

More touring fans with Aus vs England. And I'm sure a test match ticket in Sydney or London costs more than one in Mumbai.
Tickets in aus are very cheap by our standards. Day at the test costs under 20 quid. Big bash is very cheap indeed. The TV deals are the big money now.

Big Vern ripping through the Aussies in the 4th innings. 6 for 16 at the moment. There was me thinking the big target (600+) was because three SA bowlers were too injured to bowl properly.

Questions have to be asked. Why such a long tour. Why one coach for all three formats. And when the fuck are they going to put Cook and Moeen out to pasture. I'm sure they'll do better in the summer at home but apparently this is the worst overseas run since WW2. There have to be better options than Stoneman, Vince and Leach. Malan looked a better spinner than him ffs.
What did you expect Leach to actually do in this test given the conditions and wide context? Malan looked a better spinner than leach? I wonder why there's ex-test spinners or players lining up to say he had an excellent game and was unlucky to come away with so few wickets, but he did provide many overs of accurate clever penetrating spin that built up pressure and forced batsmen into shots they may not have played otherwise. This is test cricket - not superhero cricket.

Sounds like it was one of those weird NZ wickets that improve for batting as the game goes on. NZ have held out for a draw on a weirdly improving home wicket against more illustrious spinning names than Leach in recent times.

Case in point: second test against India 2014 at Canterbury. Same situation: NZ leading a 2-match series 1-0. After conceding a big 1st innings lead, NZ grind their way to 680-8 in more than 200 overs. Left-arm spinner Ravi Jadeja takes 1-115.

Yes they can. Well deserved series win for nz and after five months this tour is finally over. Thank fuck for that.
Indeed well done Kiwis. I'm happy with the result and that they won the series. Bit of squeaky bum time at the end and a nice tense finish. Sodhi held his nerve well and also had a bit of luck.

Hmm. We're going to play five tests against them (cos money) and two against you (cos no money) and so we can get more points than you and rank higher (cos money).
Actually I got this slightly wrong. In the case of this winter's tours by England, it's:

We're going to lose a five-test series against them and then lose a two-test series against you, cos money.

Not giving equal weight to series of different length is patently unfair on teams like New Zealand. I have much to criticise over the way the game is run, but the ranking system isn't one of them.

Back
Top Bottom