Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

International Cricket

Don't think Somerset (or anyone else) would want the whole.media circus that would follow him. why bother with that?

3150.jpg
Bet stuart broad is crying along

Meanwhile, in NZ, Ali and Woakes dropped. Obviously there's a massive case for both those decisions, but anyone who now doesn't see an incredibly long tail is looking at a different team to the one I am. I don't think Leach should play. NZ don't bowl spin at Christchurch so it's hardly the ground to blood a newbie. So he'll probably play then.
Bingo, Get no overs. Never seen again.

I feel a bit sorry for the Aussies, they are a sport obsessed nation and being caught cheating seems to have hit them hard. Whether it is because they were cheating or because they were caught I can't quite fathom at the moment, but either way it seems a stain on the national psyche.

Union on it anyway. Before warner's threatening arrival later. Lucky no work tmw eh? Moving on nicely cook has gone - almost 2 an over.

Saved by YJB and a completely unexpected innings from a man previously averaging 16 with the help of a few not outs he's acquired. Broad at 8? FFS.

They'll end up with over 300 (probably) and even they won't know how they got there. So many wickets given away. Nearly all of them in fact.

Their spinner has bowled 5 overs for 31. Leach must be wondering what the fuck is going on. Bit like Lehmann then.

I feel a bit sorry for the Aussies, they are a sport obsessed nation and being caught cheating seems to have hit them hard. Whether it is because they were cheating or because they were caught I can't quite fathom at the moment, but either way it seems a stain on the national psyche.

Maybe up to maybe mid late 90s, but not now. Not the true blue supporters of old, or even the players of old, but too many money and fame obsessed prima donnas rather than proud sportsmen. Nowadays it seesm to be party times back home, supporters only when we are winning. ( I get this impression from chatting to mates who have gone home. )

As show by just about every sport. We stink at rugby, the Olympic team probably had its lowest medal haul ever, cricketers sucks, netball sucks, evrything bladdy sport sucks, even getting beaten by the kiwis (sometimes) at league!!! lol!! :)

Bring back the days of Border/Eales and the mental attitudes the players had then.

Maybe up to maybe mid late 90s, but not now. Not the true blue supporters of old, or even the players of old, but too many money and fame obsessed prima donnas rather than proud sportsmen. Nowadays it seesm to be party times back home, supporters only when we are winning. ( I get this impression from chatting to mates who have gone home. )

As show by just about every sport. We stink at rugby, the Olympic team probably had its lowest medal haul ever, cricketers sucks, netball sucks, evrything bladdy sport sucks, even getting beaten by the kiwis (sometimes) at league!!! lol!! :)

Bring back the days of Border/Eales and the mental attitudes the players had then.
You are probably right, I was basing my opinion on 30 years ago, when I was there :)

Reactions: OzT

If a couple of cheating cricketers is the biggest stain on Australia's conscience then they've either not being paying attention or they have a very fucked up set of standards.

I guess I got my wish. In many ways a bit painful to watch, could just see him thinking 'all those times I've been a prick on and off the field have come back to bite me in the arse. The whole thing has come crashing down.' What an arse, what a complete and utter arse. There's more to come though I think, that press conference raised more questions than it answered.

'Do you need the toilet, David?'

'I'm here to take full responsibility for my actions in this affair and I'm sorry to the Australian public'

The only thing he's sorry for is the loss of millions of dollars to his bank balance and the national humiliation.

But as SpookyFrank alluded to upstairs there, surely Australia's policy towards immigrants and their indigenous population should rate higher on the list of national shame than someone sandpapering a fucking cricket ball. Time to move on. Not sure who best Oscar should go to here but I'm going for Boof. He must have had to sandpaper his eyeballs to get that kinda tearfall.

I saw a claim yesterday that the aussies were using YJB dad's suicide as sledging material in the last ashes - led by warner. Has anyone else heard this? Not the rumour but someone saying something like yes it happened, heat of the moment blah blah

The whole issue of cheating on sport is interesting.... How did this compare to a professional foul, or a "sticky bottle" in cycling...?

I would argue that something like the professional foul, or even Maradona's hand of god, is gamesmanship, trying to fool the referee, and a different form of cheating from this. The equivalent on a cricket field would be not walking when you know you hit it or - something that is considered a lot worse for some reason - claiming a catch when you know you didn't catch it (something else Australian captains have been known to do - eg Steve Waugh, who's been acting all high and mighty in the last few days). Bad behaviour, a long way short of honest, and I don't like seeing it, but not quite the same as this.

At least one former test captain has admitted to doing exactly what was done here - taking a foreign object onto the the field to rough up the ball with. Imran Khan admitted to doing it with a bottle top.

Piece by Daniel Brettig on cricinfo made a good point about the lengthy bans. In many ways, this is Australian cricket still viewing itself in the same exceptionalist way as before - the code of conduct that others obey, as laid out by the ICC, isn't good enough for Australians; we hold ourselves to a higher standard. They've shown this kind of arrogance before, such as effectively declaring the doosra illegal and telling coaches not to teach it, when the ICC had said it was fine.

One result of this latest affair and CA's overreaction is almost certainly going to be an increase in the ICC sanction for ball-tampering, which in the end is an example of Australians dictating to others how they should act.

There was an interesting discussion on the SA vs Aus commentary yesterday between Shane Warne and Graeme Smith (I think) about how the Aussie-made Kookaburra ball softens and thus loses its ability to conventionally swing quicker than the UK-made Duke ball. Whilst they didn't explicitly say it, the inference was that the temptation to tamper with the ball to encourage reverse swing is higher with the Kookaburra ball.

Interestingly, the Aussies themselves don't much like the Kookaburra and were experimenting with the Duke ball in shield cricket for the first time in the season just finished.

At the moment, England are possibly the only country using the Duke ball for home matches - Windies used to but may have changed recently, so I'm not 100% sure who uses what.

Anyway, the discussion concluded that it might be wise for the ICC to insist on the Duke ball for all matches from now on.

I'm probably biased, but imo the Duke is a far superior ball and I'd love it if all countries used it. A hard ball makes for good cricket. A soft ball makes for bad cricket.

Have heard similar discussion about the ball before this, not in relationship to tampering but just the quality of the ball and its impact on the quality of play

Generally bowlers are pro-Duke, aren't they? Jimmy Anderson, of course, but Glenn McGrath also loved it and wanted Aus to use it at home. I'm pro-contest, and I think the Duke promotes a better contest.

Meanwhile in Christchurch, 23 wickets down, all taken by only 4 bowlers. What a strange test. Vince throws away another century and Stoneman can’t get past 60 again. Maybe not so strange then.

Back
Top Bottom