Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Immigration to the UK - do you have concerns?

Hi all, Thanks for hearing me out yesterday. Catholic priest Paul Murphy was stabbed in broad daylight in Galway last week. So I want to raise another concern, which is the attacks on Christianity. We've heard about the horrible attacks on Mosques upthread, but here is a list of Church burnings in the UK and Ireland over the last decade, from ChatGPT.

### Ireland:
1. St. Mel's Cathedral, Longford (December 2009)
- The cathedral was destroyed by an arson fire, and its restoration was completed in 2014.

2. St. Catherine's Church, Dublin (January 2012)
- The church was severely damaged in an arson attack.

3. Holy Cross Church, Charleville, County Cork (April 2016)
- The church sustained significant damage from an arson fire.

4. St. Michan's Church, Dublin (March 2019)
- Vandals set fires inside the crypt, damaging parts of the historic building and desecrating mummies.

5. Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin (August 2020)
- A small fire was set by an arsonist, causing minor damage.

6. St. Michan's Church, Dublin (June 2024)
- A fire severely damaged the crypt, destroying ancient mummies, including an 800-year-old "Crusader" mummy.

### United Kingdom:
1. All Saints Church, Fleet, Hampshire (June 2015)
- The church was completely destroyed in an arson attack, leading to an extensive rebuilding project.

2. St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cardiff (February 2020)
- An arson attack caused severe damage, destroying the roof and interior.

3. St. Matthew's Church, Belfast, Northern Ireland (July 2020)
- An arson attack occurred, but the fire was contained before causing significant damage.

4. St. John's Church, Little Thornton, Lancashire (September 2020)
- A deliberately set fire caused significant damage to this historic church.

5. St. Mary's Church, Wrexham, Wales (November 2020)
- The church was damaged after being set on fire in an act of arson.

6. St. Jude’s Church, London (April 2021)
- An arson attack caused significant damage to the church's interior and roof.

7. St. Simon's Church, Glasgow (July 2021)
- This historic Roman Catholic church was destroyed in an arson attack.

8. St. Andrew's Church, Glasgow (September 2022)
- A fire damaged the church's interior due to arson.

9. St Mark's Church, London (January 2024)
- A fire set by arsonists caused significant damage to the building.
Why is it a concern?

Hi all, Thanks for hearing me out yesterday. Catholic priest Paul Murphy was stabbed in broad daylight in Galway last week. So I want to raise another concern, which is the attacks on Christianity. We've heard about the horrible attacks on Mosques upthread, but here is a list of Church burnings in the UK and Ireland over the last decade, from ChatGPT.

### Ireland:
- The cathedral was destroyed by an arson fire, and its restoration was completed in 2014.

- Vandals set fires inside the crypt, damaging parts of the historic building and desecrating mummies.

- A fire severely damaged the crypt, destroying ancient mummies, including an 800-year-old "Crusader" mummy.

### United Kingdom:
- The church was completely destroyed in an arson attack, leading to an extensive rebuilding project.

- An arson attack occurred, but the fire was contained before causing significant damage.

To echo others, please don't link to ChatGPT-generated output. You need to check each of these yourself to see which ones it has made up. I would put money on at least one being a total fabrication. It's what ChatGPT does.

### Ireland:

### United Kingdom:

15 church burnings over a decade. How many tens of thousands of non-church buildings? Give us the whole picture.

ChatGPT is not a search engine. It makes things up, because that's what it was designed to do.

And those aren't actual attacks on Christianity, and they're nothing to do with immigration. There really aren't any attacks on Christianity - it's just gradually losing its hold. And in fact most churchgoers in big cities are immigrants or second generation so it'd be even weaker if it weren't for them.
Yup, pretty much all the Christians I know are Nigerian, Jamacian and Southern India-Kerala.

Carol Vorderman has waded into the class debate:

“The rich and powerful corrupting politics,” she said. “The upper middles taking broadcast for themselves. The increasingly absurd rightwing newspaper headlines being promoted by political programmes. What has this got to do with class? Everything. Literally everything.

“After 14 years of austerity and lying by the privileged political class, this country is in an absolute mess and the TV industry must accept part of the responsibility for that too, including the riots.”

I mean I know we assumed she was a tory for a bit, but fair.

Last edited:
I suspect when they talk about European law enforcement they particularly have Frontex in mind, whose methods are, to say the least unsavoury. Here are some links:

These articles and this one below show the problems with immigration policy. Whilst not using the kind of racist language of far right this kind of way to deal with those trying to come to Europe from north Africa is on the quiet callous.

As articles say under international human rights law there are issues here. The opaque and unaccountable way this EU agency works seems to me deliberate.

There are two kinds of immigration policy. The in your face keep them out of the right. And the supposedly sensible with safeguards one of EU.

Except that the reality is far removed from the public face. And the two aren't that different in the end.

It's why I'm not supporting immigration controls.

Every time I read about them they aren't rational or fair. And imo racism is involved. Even if it's denied.

As far as what new Labour government have said I'm assuming working with Frontex which was agreed with last government is continuing.

Thanks for the articles teqniq . Give a lot of insight into how immigration policy works in reality.

These articles and this one below show the problems with immigration policy. Whilst not using the kind of racist language of far right this kind of way to deal with those trying to come to Europe from north Africa is on the quiet callous.

As articles say under international human rights law there are issues here. The opaque and unaccountable way this EU agency works seems to me deliberate.

There are two kinds of immigration policy. The in your face keep them out of the right. And the supposedly sensible with safeguards one of EU.

Except that the reality is far removed from the public face. And the two aren't that different in the end.

It's why I'm not supporting immigration controls.

Every time I read about them they aren't rational or fair. And imo racism is involved. Even if it's denied.

As far as what new Labour government have said I'm assuming working with Frontex which was agreed with last government is continuing.

Thanks for the articles teqniq . Give a lot of insight into how immigration policy works in reality.

It's interesting that you make reference to the language of the far right, because:

But it's important!!!!!!11!!
I am impressed as a French teacher, lol. Bourgeois is an adjective so can be either masculine or feminine. La bourgeoisie is a noun and is feminine. You can also use the adjective as a noun referring to a person, like a bourgeois male would be un bourgeois and a female would be une bourgeoise. So you could refer to a male person as un petit bourgeois and to the class in general as la petite bourgeoisie. Or just say bourge for short :D

Anyway, immigration. Love it. Cultures and societies change over time. Embrace it and understand that older people will generally not like this change.

I started following this thread with interest, but it soon became peak U75 - a load of people broadly on the left of politics (and yes, I include Spymaster in this, because I understood the context of his "lefty scum" comments instead of clutching my pearls, like some) hurling ridiculous insults such as "fascist" at other left wing people who aren't quite far enough to the left for their liking, followed by some navel gazing about the meaning of class and whether or not al sole traders are petit-bourgeoise.

Top drawer stuff.

I started following this thread with interest, but it soon became peak U75 - a load of people broadly on the left of politics (and yes, I include Spymaster in this, because I understood the context of his "lefty scum" comments instead of clutching my pearls, like some) hurling ridiculous insults such as "fascist" at other left wing people who aren't quite far enough to the left for their liking, followed by some navel gazing about the meaning of class and whether or not al sole traders are petit-bourgeoise.

Top drawer stuff.
Outlefting... It really should be in the dictionary.

I am impressed as a French teacher, lol. Bourgeois is an adjective so can be either masculine or feminine. La bourgeoisie is a noun and is feminine. You can also use the adjective as a noun referring to a person, like a bourgeois male would be un bourgeois and a female would be une bourgeoise. So you could refer to a male person as un petit bourgeois and to the class in general as la petite bourgeoisie. Or just say bourge for short :D

Anyway, immigration. Love it. Cultures and societies change over time. Embrace it and understand that older people will generally not like this change.
"Over time"? Can things evolve instantly? No. Can the speed of evolution of anything be a cause of concern?

I think I remember being called petit bourgeois when I was a member of the Spartacist League.

Top drawer stuff.

I've just searched the thread and can't find where fascist as an insult is used.

Maybe I missed a post.

Where did this happen?

hurling ridiculous insults such as "fascist" at other left wing people who aren't quite far enough to the left for their liking,

I see you've added hyperbole and making shit up others haven't said.

Top drawer stuff!

(The rest you said was right, but you seem to have inadvertently fallen into the same trap as that which you criticize)

What I'm learning from this thread - if anything - is that immigration is more of a social problem to be solved than a social benefit to be celebrated, and that it's basic common sense to blame immigration and immigrants for nearly any problem created by government policy.

Blaming government policy instead of immigration for the slow death of impoverished communities is not an idea for reflection, and doesn't merit a response by anyone who doesn't already think that way.

A minority's fear of cultural change is something more of us need to understand and address, and on no account must we expect better of our fellow citizens because that's an arrogant display of privilege (even if expressed by someone who isn't middle class) Utopian ideas of social justice are simply out of touch, unrealistic, and ridiculous.

In short, we all need to get better at fash-whispering so as not to set them off again with too much wokeness.

What I'm learning from this thread - if anything - is that immigration is more of a social problem to be solved than a social benefit to be celebrated, and that it's basic common sense to blame immigration and immigrants for nearly any problem created by government policy.

Blaming government policy instead of immigration for the slow death of impoverished communities is not an idea for reflection, and doesn't merit a response by anyone who doesn't already think that way.

A minority's fear of cultural change is something more of us need to understand and address, and on no account must we expect better of our fellow citizens because that's an arrogant display of privilege (even if expressed by someone who isn't middle class) Utopian ideas of social justice are simply out of touch, unrealistic, and ridiculous.

In short, we all need to get better at fash-whispering so as not to set them off again with too much wokeness.

I guess it depends on whether you actually want to change things or just moan about them on the internet.

One thing is certain - there is going to be a lot more. An increasing number of countries are going to become unliveable with rising temperatures and conflicts over resources. This is going to have to be managed - whether through some kind of humanitarian process of allocation of refugees globally, or through shooting people at borders. It's a much bigger issue than the feelings of Concerned of Southport. But the drivers of migration just seem utterly absent from the public debate, and hence public understanding.

I guess it depends on whether you actually want to change things or just moan about them on the internet.

I'm not 'changing' anything; at my age, isolated in a very 'white' small town in the rural south west it's all I can do to maintain my own mental health most days.

My son, however - mixed race and child of an immigrant - might well grow into a man who can see things change. I'm at least making sure he has the kinds of understanding he needs, to make sense and success of his world. He already encounters racism and what I'd call a kind of juvenile anti-wokeness even in kids his age - kids being raised, no doubt, by people like the recent race-rioters. All I can do it help him put it in perspective.

By the way, I hate to break it to you but all we do here is moan about stuff. God-emperor of mankind doesn't follow these threads, nothing here is changing society.

It is often used pejoratively though, it's naive to think otherwise. And I don't think it really applies to a self employed cleaner or a delivery driver forced to be self employed so their employer can dodge labour laws. They don't own the means of production unless you mean a moped or a mop, have no potential to exploit the labour of others and their interests are far more aligned with the working class than with a shopkeeper or restaurant owner. In many ways they are often the exploited workers of the actual petite bourgeoise who frequently employ people on an ad hoc and informal basis to avoid their responsibilities as employers.

Back to that fucking thread where it was argued that a window cleaner with their own ladder ( or one of those long pole things) couldn’t be working class… mind you I think that was the same thread where some of the usual suspects put forth the argument that you could only be working class if you were unemployed …

One thing is certain - there is going to be a lot more. An increasing number of countries are going to become unliveable with rising temperatures and conflicts over resources. This is going to have to be managed - whether through some kind of humanitarian process of allocation of refugees globally, or through shooting people at borders. It's a much bigger issue than the feelings of Concerned of Southport. But the drivers of migration just seem utterly absent from the public debate, and hence public understanding.
Not helped by the fact that so many on the far right are climate changed deniers.

Back to that fucking thread where it was argued that a window cleaner with their own ladder ( or one of those long pole things) couldn’t be working class… mind you I think that was the same thread where some of the usual suspects put forth the argument that you could only be working class if you were unemployed …
Actually, the argument started about a 'working class' person objecting to the ULEZ but it turned out the person in question was a small business owner with their own van. The argument was that they could pay the bloody ULEZ and were probably in a better position than the kids dying of asthma in inner city tower blocks, not that they were a class traitor. You then did reducto ad absurdium on what had been said and ran round the boards like an excited twelve-year-old screeching 'you can't be working class if you've got your own bucket' till everyone was thoroughly fucking sick of it.

Back
Top Bottom