Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

If you have it, have had it, are pretty sure you have it, tell us about it?

Have you got the virus, had it, or recovered from it?

• I have the virus at the moment, pls post symptoms in thread ..

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • I had a mild case of the virus and have now recovered ..

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I had a serious case of the virus and have now recovered ..

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Someone I know has a serious case, and has not yet recovered ..

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Someone I know died from the virus

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I was tested, it was positive for the virus

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I was tested, it was negative for the virus

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • I am still healthy, with no evidence of infection

Votes: 79 52.0%
  • I was contacted as part of contact tracing, pls post details

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am self isolating at the moment by my own choice

Votes: 19 12.5%
  • I have been told to self isolate ..

Votes: 15 9.9%

• Total voters
My 2nd test has come back negative again. I'm confused, if it isn't Covid then what the hell have I got?

Crap night's sleep, fever is ramping up.

Todays random symptom is abdominal pain and bloating. WTF covid? It could be unrelated I suppose but it's one of the known symptoms.

My wife seems to have turned the corner though. She's managed to get out of bed for a bit but has gone back now after feeling dizzy and exhausted. Thankfully she has managed to eat some soup a few times over the last few days too.

You have covid. Do another test, be extra careful how you do it.

Not sure you should be telling someone they've got covid when they've had 2 negative tests and there are other things it could be tbh.

I have a phone appointment with my GP tomorrow to discuss what else it could be and whether I should be worried (also to get a sick note), a professional opinion is on it's way.

On the subject of false negatives, it does seen unlikely to get 2. However, even if the numbers of false negatives are small (say 1%?), that means the odds are 1 in 10,000. There are hundreds of thousands of tests being done daily, so in probability terms then yeah, a handful of people testing twice might get a pair.

I have a phone appointment with my GP tomorrow to discuss what else it could be and whether I should be worried (also to get a sick note), a professional opinion is on it's way.

On the subject of false negatives, it does seen unlikely to get 2. However, even if the numbers of false negatives are small (say 1%?), that means the odds are 1 in 10,000. There are hundreds of thousands of tests being done daily, so in probability terms then yeah, a handful of people testing twice might get a pair.

Edie got two false negatives before she tested positive. On the Sofa there is someone who has had 3 inconclusive tests when they have symptoms and someone else in the family has tested positive.

Chances of a false negative are much higher than that but I'm not sure proper studies have been done and published. The following quote is from a document where they arent sure either, but take a look at some studies anyway:

The UK operational false negative rate is unknown.
A recent study [6] combined results from seven studies (>1300 swab test results associated with time of disease onset) to create a model of the false negative rate for SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR assays against time since infection. Their model suggested that in the first four days of infection (pre- symptomatic phase) the probability of a false negative in an infected person decreased from 100% on day 1 (i.e. a false negative was certain) to 67% on day 4. It then decreased to 38% on day 5 (day of symptom onset) to a minimum of 20% on day 8 of infection (i.e. one in five people still give a false negative result despite having experienced three days of COVID-19 symptoms). The false negative rate then increased from day 9 (21%) to day 21 (66%).

I'm sure I've read the false negative rate is more like 20%.

Chances of a false negative are much higher than that but I'm not sure proper studies have been done and published. The following quote is from a document where they arent sure either, but take a look at some studies anyway:

Blimey, that's a bit more than I thought. Thanks for the research, you'll go down in Urban folklore for your pandemic efforts!

In my understanding, the false negatives can be as a result of poor quality testing materials (one of my podcasts went on at some lengths about the efficacy of different types of swabbing brushes :oops:), poor quality swabbing (sorry, self-swabbers!) and crucially also timing of the test, or a combination of these. The test is most effective in the first few days after onset of symptoms. That's when there is most virus present in nose and throat. So to keep redoing the test is in most circumstances going to make it less and less likely to produce a positive result (although it still might). After the first 7-10 days, stool sampling might be more reliable.

ETA: ^^^That's all by the by, really had just swung by to wish Zapp Brannigan a steady recovery!

Day 7 in the Covid House, morning update - shit night's sleep, still feverish, but feeling a tiny bit perkier.

Spoke to GP. Putting aside the 2 x negative tests, he'd have straight away said Covid. However, could also be a bacterial infection, with the immune response presenting in a similar way.

So I've to both assume I've got Covid and wait it out, and also take a heavy course of antibiotics in case it's not. Schroedinger's illness, with no clue as to whether I'll be left with antibodies. Signed off work for another week.

I took a test yesterday. How long before I can expect the results? And would it still pick anything up if I started feeling slightly ill on Friday? I'm worried I didn't do the test properly because my nose was a bit runny and I didn't blow it before I did the test.

I took a test yesterday. How long before I can expect the results? And would it still pick anything up if I started feeling slightly ill on Friday? I'm worried I didn't do the test properly because my nose was a bit runny and I didn't blow it before I did the test.
I got my results the day after I took the test. Hopefully you'll get yours soon.

Likewise I got my results the following day. Booking the test at the walk-in centre was very quick. I went online at about noon and had the test an hour later.

Edie got two false negatives before she tested positive. On the Sofa there is someone who has had 3 inconclusive tests when they have symptoms and someone else in the family has tested positive.

I've now had FOUR inconclusive results in a row and 3 people in my household have all tested positive. Two of them got negatives before then getting positives. I've given up - I'm mostly better now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom