Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

If you are donating stuff for Ukraine's refugees...

treasurer of a charity i have some involvement with did have to provide information to the tax person, and from memory that did include peoples' names and addresses

no idea if it's random sampling or what

Sure, but it is HMRC that has to audit this stuff and they just don’t do it. These days they haven’t the personnel to inspect any but the reddest of red flag businesses, so there’s no chance of anyone being assigned to follow up on gift aid bollocks.

Just had an email asking for bitcoin donations for Ukraine. :hmm: It is possible that it's from the Czech organization someone on here recommended that I gave to but I'm sure there'll be loads of scam requests like that.

Not for refugees but if any of you ex military types (or your friends, might be worth a share) have any gear that could be put to use then these people are taking it to the border. Contact them through the website.

Got in touch with these guys but they've had so many replies they're just sending out a c&p email with their address in Gloucester. Is anyone aware of any other collections happening elsewhere? I know a couple of people (in & around Brighton) who've said they would have kit to donate if so.

TBH I think sending a load of old UK army surplus is a total waste of time and effort.

Maybe but if it can get to the Territorial Defense Units then they may have something more than a winter jacket and bobble hat which seems to be the case for most of them.

Looks like there's no shortage of civilian aid on its way so as long as it doesn't take away from that effort then why not? Hopefully there will be some gucci kit in there that no longer fits has shrunk. :D

Some info about support for LGBT+ people in Ukraine

OutRight Action International has launched a fundraiser to support Ukraine’s LGBT+ community as Russian forces move across the country.

This is where you can donate to support LGBT+ Ukrainians

In response to the violence, OutRight Action International has started to accept financial donations to help queer people direly in need of support during the invasion.

The organisation said that funding will be given to LGBT+ organisations in Ukraine that are preparing to receive queer people in “search of shelter, safety and security”.

“Already, people are leaving Ukraine’s capital Kyiv and the eastern part of the country for, at the moment, safer rural areas and the western parts of the country, while neighbouring EU countries work to prepare shelters for an influx of displaced people,” OutRight said.

“As we know all too well, in times of crisis, LGBTIQ people who are already marginalised face higher risks and cannot count automatically on access to humanitarian and/or social assistance.”

OutRight called on the LGBT+ community to come together “in solidarity” to give queer people “some sense of hope and help” by providing financial support they need to survive and the “resilience they need to thrive”.

If you are a UK donor and want to support this vital work, we can claim Gift Aid on all eligible donations. #StandWithUkraine

Donate to Support LGBTIQ Ukrainians

https://twitter.com/OutRightIntl

off the wall a bit, but a few people i know have booked airbnb in ukraine for like tonight and not turning up obvs. not expensive but there you go. its an actual thing

I agree, money is best. You’re better off ebaying or carbooting your shite over here and donating the proceeds. Ontop of how unsuitable our clothing donations can be, have you seen the paperwork now we have left the EU? I had to ship a box of components to Dubai this month. It took me best part of a day to research commodity codes, then I had to speak to someone I knew in a shipping firm because my codes kept being rejected. Needs to be coordinated by a haulage/shipping firm who knows how to do it, or you won’t even get them across the first border you come to.

"Ukrainian authorities are urging the UK public not to send food, clothing and medicine to the war-ravaged country amid concerns it may be sabotaged and will clog logistical routes"

This is interesting

A friend of mine who has friends on the Polish border said the same. She said there are piles of goods at the border which will rot, some of it already wet as there's no warehouse space. British pounds buys A LOT more there than it does here. Poland is seeing a huge influx of people, and she says cash is best. Send it to a trustworthy charity or institution or someone you know on the ground, which is what she's been doing, she's also Polish so she knows and trusts the people & institutions she's sending the money to.

For example, the risk of hypothermia is very high, and they need thermal clothes and blankets, which are much cheaper to buy there, especially with £, and this also removes the cost of transport.

I agree, money is best. You’re better off ebaying or carbooting your shite over here and donating the proceeds. Ontop of how unsuitable our clothing donations can be, have you seen the paperwork now we have left the EU? I had to ship a box of components to Dubai this month. It took me best part of a day to research commodity codes, then I had to speak to someone I knew in a shipping firm because my codes kept being rejected. Needs to be coordinated by a haulage/shipping firm who knows how to do it, or you won’t even get them across the first border you come to.

Dubai’s not in the EU?

If you need an incentive to donate, Dark Arts Coffee are selling a special "Russian warship go fuck yourself" blend of coffee in 250g bags. You can choose how much to pay for it (min £10), and all proceeds (not just profits) will be donated to Ukrainian refugees.
(They play around with their "Dark Arts" image, but every contact I've had with them suggests to me they're a bunch of hippies)
Sold out, the buggers :)

I'd quite like to buy a "Russian warship, go fuck yourself" T-shirt (in Russian) from somewhere that's donating proceeds to Ukraine refugees... :hmm:

Not for refugees but if any of you ex military types (or your friends, might be worth a share) have any gear that could be put to use then these people are taking it to the border. Contact them through the website.

Looks like they are getting it out there. Seen plenty of old UK kit on soldiers out there already so I doubt it will lead to an escalation if they catch some poor Ukrainian fella in DPM or MTP.

I've just been on the British Red Cross website with the intention of setting up a monthly direct debit but I couldn't see the option to do anything but make a one off donation (which I've done). Is there a way to do this?

I've just been on the British Red Cross website with the intention of setting up a monthly direct debit but I couldn't see the option to do anything but make a one off donation (which I've done). Is there a way to do this?
Here you go - had to search for it as it wasn't obvious from it's main landing page

Reactions: LDC
BUMP!!
My second cousin is building sheltered accommodation in his hometown to house 24 (iirc) Ukrainian refugees...
Its a bit of a mission as they are converting what was office space before - they are already building extra washing and cooking facilities into it, and partition walls etc. Some people have already moved in even, but its far from finished... all funded from donations

Theres a just giving page here

...and this girl from Woking is doing a 5 hour drum marathon to help raise funds

Last edited:
If I were arranging a collection at a work event, what would be the best cause to pass the money onto?

Back
Top Bottom