Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukrainian refugees, visas, etc

Good to see a government source complain that Ireland is threatening uk security, in language that is sprinkled with putin dust…”A British government source alleged that this opened a back door to the UK. “Ireland has basically opened the door to everyone in Ukraine which creates a problem,” they told the Telegraph.”

I sometimes think the British have internalised an attitude that anyone who is invaded is a bit crap and unlike us who no one's bothered to invade for centuries. Which is mostly because we're lucky to have sea between us and everyone else. But anyway, the British conclude on some level it's their fault for being invaded, not our problem. Unlike places like Slovakia which know much more frequently and recently what it is to be under the grip of an alien ruling power.

Hence Slovakia, small and poor as it is, has literally within days given benefits and healthcare access, school places for kids and other support to the three Ukranian households staying at my parents' place there.

Utterly shameful that Britain, parts of which like to go on about how rich and powerful we are, is dragging its heels and finding any excuse not to help these people right now.

A number of British diplomats at the embassy, which has moved to Lviv from Kyiv for safety after the start of the war, are said to be deeply unhappy at the way their Ukrainian colleagues are being treated, and have made their feelings clear to the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) in London. Some British staff have described what is happening as “Afghanistan part two”, and say they are astonished that lessons have not been learned from the failure to evacuate many Afghans entitled to entry to the UK after the Taliban takeover. They also fear that some of their Ukrainian colleagues may be targets for retribution if they are in areas occupied by Russian forces.

The government maybe starting to get its act together on refugees. But I won't hold my breath.

But I think the criticism in the article is very valid. Taking people who in many cases will be suffering from trauma, and even if not will clearly be under extreme stress and just sticking them with anyone who volunteers sounds like it could be a disaster in many cases. NHS mental health provision is awful as it is so I can't see them getting much support there.

Still not going to lie I am a tempted to offer as I am on my own in a 2 bedroom flat. Although a lot of work would be needed as one of those rooms is an office/junk room at the moment. Also the place is a bit of a dump and I'm not sure being stuck in my dump of a flat with a grumpy, anti-social knobhead is what someone fleeing a war needs.

The government maybe starting to get its act together on refugees. But I won't hold my breath.

But I think the criticism in the article is very valid. Taking people who in many cases will be suffering from trauma, and even if not will clearly be under extreme stress and just sticking them with anyone who volunteers sounds like it could be a disaster in many cases. NHS mental health provision is awful as it is so I can't see them getting much support there.

Still not going to lie I am a tempted to offer as I am on my own in a 2 bedroom flat. Although a lot of work would be needed as one of those rooms is an office/junk room at the moment. Also the place is a bit of a dump and I'm not sure being stuck in my dump of a flat with a grumpy, anti-social knobhead is what someone fleeing a war needs.
I'm quite sceptical about these current Tory machinations. I don't expect many normal people are in a position to offer accommodation to Ukrainian refugees. Who actually has a spare room nowadays? Mine's my office and it's so small you'd struggle to fit a single bed in it. The Idea of putting up a family is a non-starter.

My gut feeling is that the scheme is a cynical win-win for the Tories. Either loads of refugees are accommodated at minimal cost to the state and the Tories can claim to be all caring and cuddly, or I suspect we'll hear ministers claiming in a few months that the number of offers was low so the (Great British) public don't see the need to help (protect our borders, sovereignty, bollocks, will of the people, bullshit, etc..)

Is £350 per refugee or just £350 flat rate?
It is one of those things that sound good on paper but you just know they will make a hash of it
Edit: I've just read to the bottom and it is £350 flat rate it also says that BoZo isn't too happy with Lady Death so I have to wonder why he just doesn't sack her

Last edited:
I've a mate who has put up a Syrian family in a family property under some govt scheme, and apparently the paperwork and time it took was a nightmare.

I'm wondering if refugees from Ukraine will have the right to rent. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet.

eta:
So far neither Patel nor Home Office officials have given guidance on how the Right To Rent policies will be applied to Ukrainian refugees seeking private rental accommodation in this country.

Last edited:
Currently looking into offering a place for someone and a younger kid or 2 maybe. Have fostered before but currently having a break from that so have the space. Also have some understanding of issues that might come up, and that does worry me a bit that in the rush to help people will be placed in unsuitable accommodation with people that are not able to provide support for possibly very upset/distraught people dislocated from their culture and lives. Once the first few weeks of relief and novelty have worn off living with people like that can be very difficult and often need external support. Who will provide that? Councils can barely support their own foster staff as it is. If decent support isn't there there's a risk these places will just break down leaving vulnerable people homeless.

Currently looking into offering a place for someone and a younger kid or 2 maybe. Have fostered before but currently having a break from that so have the space. Also have some understanding of issues that might come up, and that does worry me a bit that in the rush to help people will be placed in unsuitable accommodation with people that are not able to provide support for possibly very upset/distraught people dislocated from their culture and lives. Once the first few weeks of relief and novelty have worn off living with people like that can be very difficult and often need external support. Who will provide that? Councils can barely support their own foster staff as it is. If decent support isn't there there's a risk these places will just break down leaving vulnerable people homeless.
Or worse

I’m in a position to do the same. And have put our name down on the Gov website. I’ll give the youngest my big attic room with bathroom, he can fit his desk in to study up there. I’ll take the smaller back bedroom, and they can have the larger front bedroom. It’s an ex council so we have a garden and good local schools. Bit worried about how it’ll go if we get that far, but feel in a position to do something so should.

What charity will you use to match you or do you know people on the ground who can help?

We've been wondering about doing this but not sure we'd be good at providing the emotional support necessary. A minimum of six months is such a commitment, and we haven't ever had anyone but family stay with us for more than a couple of nights. We're used to our privacy and I'm worried it would quickly drive us mad. OTOH this is a very selfish attitude when we have the space and there are people in need. I'm much happier donating money and time (if we have any relevant skills). Any advice?

We've been wondering about doing this but not sure we'd be good at providing the emotional support necessary. A minimum of six months is such a commitment, and we haven't ever had anyone but family stay with us for more than a couple of nights. We're used to our privacy and I'm worried it would quickly drive us mad. OTOH this is a very selfish attitude when we have the space and there are people in need. I'm much happier donating money and time (if we have any relevant skills). Any advice?

I suspect given the coverage and other factors there might actually be more people offering than need it, so I wouldn't rush unless you're pretty sure you can do it. I'd say six months is absolute minimum as well, you'd have to be prepared for much longer really. Like if they need it (the stability, etc.) would you feel comfortable making them leave? I don't think not doing it is 'selfish', it's good to be realistic and accept that they might have needs you can't provide. Much more selfish to rush into it for some misplaced altruism and then it all fuck up and hurt them after a few weeks.

I’m in a position to do the same. And have put our name down on the Gov website. I’ll give the youngest my big attic room with bathroom, he can fit his desk in to study up there. I’ll take the smaller back bedroom, and they can have the larger front bedroom. It’s an ex council so we have a garden and good local schools. Bit worried about how it’ll go if we get that far, but feel in a position to do something so should.

What charity will you use to match you or do you know people on the ground who can help?

Just in early steps. Wish I'd stayed in touch with folks there then might have personal contacts. Will see how it goes. Don't think there's a huge rush tbh, it'll be needed for a bit.

Last edited:
Anecdotal evidence but I know people who have entered northern ireland (where they had friends) from the republic -- but no intention of moving to GB. So that backdoor is indeed a loophole some people are using... difference between me and priti patel is I think it's an excellent thing. thanks, GFA

Back
Top Bottom