Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ukrainian war - have you been affected?

Being a terrible worrywart at the best of time, this invasion has really got me into what could be turning out to be a dark place.

For the civilians I expect life to become especially dreadful.
I'm pretty sure I've met a number of Ukrainian Esperantists at various International meetings [UEAs in Rotterdam and Poland] and I know my late father corresponded with several esperantists from, I think, Kyiv.

On another tack, I've been trying to get some slow grown Larch for a work project - English Larch grows too quickly to be durable enough for the use I intend - so, several weeks ago, my supplier ordered some Siberian Larch as some of it had to be 17ft in length ... Now worrying whether that timber is already in the country ...
((((StoneRoad)))) :(

Same as some of the other posters here, not usually bothered so much by things like this (which is pretty odd I know, or says something about the world and/or me) but it's much harder watching and reading about this. Dunno if it's the geographical and cultural proximity of the place, the risk of it escalating into something more global, the fact I worked there for six months in 2015 in Donetsk, the fact it's come on the back of the pandemic, or likely just a mix of all those things. Feels very fucked.

Also heard from some orgs making plans to head to the western borders to provide medical aid to the refugees there.

Just to add, nothing like anyone with real connections there, who I imagine must just be having a really terrible time.

Last edited:
Orang Utan In former Soviet countries like Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, etc etc its quite common to wave the national flag during even a left wing or anti government protest. Dont forget these were independence flags and therefore banned at the time that the USSR was ruling it. I wouldn't do it either but same thing happens with the Palestinian flag on protests as a way to show solidarity tbh. I know what you mean but compared to what else is going on over there its the least of my worries imo

Last edited:
Same as some of the other posters here, not usually bothered so much by things like this (which is pretty odd I know, or says something about the world and/or me) but it's much harder watching and reading about this. Dunno if it's the geographical and cultural proximity of the place, the risk of it escalating into something more global, the fact I worked there for six months in 2015 in Donetsk, the fact it's come on the back of the pandemic, or likely just a mix of all those things. Feels very fucked.

Also heard from some orgs making plans to head to the western borders to provide medical aid to the refugees there.

Just to add, nothing like anyone with real connections there, who I imagine must just be having a really terrible time.
Oh shit, have you heard from anyone you know in Donetsk?

I'm not so worried about Moldova, right now, I can't see it being high on a list of priorities for Putin. The Sandu government has been playing a neutrality line very carefully and prior to all this starting seemed to be having reasonable dialogue with the Russians. Moldova has also refused to join sanctions against Russia (presumably for fear of the consequences). I was hoping to do some work in Moldova in the next year or two and maybe an exhibition, well...looks like those plans may be up in smoke.

I did read once that Putin had offered a "deal" whereby the vast majority of Moldova would be "allowed" to join the EU, as long as Transnistria remained under Russian control / was absorbed by Russia.

I have some Ukrainian friends and colleagues who are out of the country, also concerned for some Belarusian opposition folks who had made Kyiv their home after fleeing the dictatorship. What's often overlooked is that a Belarusian civil war may be starting, between free Belarusians volunteering in the defence of Ukraine, and the red/green sheep serving in Lukashenko's forces. Long columns of Belarusian army were observed yesterday on their way to the border.

How they behave and act in Ukraine will be quite telling. People are writing about this invasion being the beginning of the end for Putin; if young Belarusians start coming home in body bags in large numbers, then it is certainly the end for Lukashenko. From national president to contemptuously treated regional governor within a month. A traitor who would literally burn the world to the ground as long as he still gets to call himself "President of the Republic of Belarus".

Oh shit, have you heard from anyone you know in Donetsk?

No, I wasn't in touch with anyone now. Just keep remembering wandering about thinking it was really lovely (even under the separatist rule), and Kyiv even more so. Do wonder how the people I met there are, especially the young translator I got to know a bit.

I'm not so worried about Moldova, right now, I can't see it being high on a list of priorities for Putin. The Sandu government has been playing a neutrality line very carefully and prior to all this starting seemed to be having reasonable dialogue with the Russians. Moldova has also refused to join sanctions against Russia (presumably for fear of the consequences). I was hoping to do some work in Moldova in the next year or two and maybe an exhibition, well...looks like those plans may be up in smoke.

I did read once that Putin had offered a "deal" whereby the vast majority of Moldova would be "allowed" to join the EU, as long as Transnistria remained under Russian control / was absorbed by Russia.

I have some Ukrainian friends and colleagues who are out of the country, also concerned for some Belarusian opposition folks who had made Kyiv their home after fleeing the dictatorship. What's often overlooked is that a Belarusian civil war may be starting, between free Belarusians volunteering in the defence of Ukraine, and the red/green sheep serving in Lukashenko's forces. Long columns of Belarusian army were observed yesterday on their way to the border.

How they behave and act in Ukraine will be quite telling. People are writing about this invasion being the beginning of the end for Putin; if young Belarusians start coming home in body bags in large numbers, then it is certainly the end for Lukashenko. From national president to contemptuously treated regional governor within a month. A traitor who would literally burn the world to the ground as long as he still gets to call himself "President of the Republic of Belarus".

Just as well Igor Dodon isn't in charge any more in Moldova tbh

Took in Ukrainian family today. Basically volunteered our old place indefinitely.

We (or my husband's mum- back in UK) have an empty flat in Krakow so decided to put it to good use. Young couple and a boy who turned 3 yesterday, from lviv.

Doing what we can. Everyone in the flat (including me) on the edge of tears.

It's a bit dilapidated and the door is falling from the wardrobe. We moved out 6 months back having bought our own place.

Anyway, it's all rather heartbreaking. They came by car. Originally it was the couple, their son, and wife's brother in the car, but the border guards would only let one of the men through and the wife's brother volunteered to stay behind and fight.

They've been here for 3 days sleeping at a different hotel each night. They'd just bought a brand new place in Lviv and were ready to move in within the next month when it all kicked off. His mum is still there. The family run a fishmongers.

Now they're in our tired old place.

I'm glad we can help, but I wish we could have done more.

Proper sad stuff.

Last edited:
Today half a dozen kids have asked me if I think world war 3 is about to start. Hard to tell how worried they really are because teenagers are always so flippant about everything whether they actually care about it or not.

An email went round from the headteacher, how to talk to kids about the war in Ukraine. I didn't read it because I don't trust the opinions of anyone who thinks that they have figured out how to address this manifestly fucking awful thing in a sane and rational way that won't upset the kids. They should be upset. I'm upset. It's upsetting. More upsetting is these poor kids asking their science teacher what will happen, as if we know. As if we, as senior grown ups and arbiters of half their waking lives, are somehow party to any of this. As if we can protect them from it. We haven't even finished the previous apocalypse yet for fuck's sake, still less got properly started on the real one that's coming like as not.

The grown ups have failed these kids. That's the truth of it. Fuck anyone who thinks there's a nice pretty bow to wrap that up in.

Last edited:
Orang Utan In former Soviet countries like Ukraine, Moldova, Georgia, etc etc its quite common to wave the national flag during even a left wing or anti government protest. Dont forget these were independence flags and therefore banned at the time that the USSR was ruling it. I wouldn't do it either but same thing happens with the Palestinian flag on protests as a way to show solidarity tbh. I know what you mean but compared to what else is going on over there its the least of my worries imo
It just scares and alarms me. Mind you, even football fans scare the shit out of me.

look i get you and im not trying to be rude but i don't think this is the scariest thing about what's going on right now. i started this thread for anyone actually affected by the events rather than feeling mildly uncomfortable about it. i also feel uncomfortable about it but compared with everything else i don't think this is really anything to be 'scared and alarmed' about.
It just scares and alarms me. Mind you, even football fans scare the shit out of me.

look i get you and im not trying to be rude but i don't think this is the scariest thing about what's going on right now. i started this thread for anyone actually affected by the events rather than feeling mildly uncomfortable about it. i also feel uncomfortable about it but compared with everything else i don't think this is really anything to be 'scared and alarmed' about.
I know how I feel thanks! Flags are scarier than tanks. I’ve never seen a tank. I see loads of flags, especially during sports competitions and it’s things like this that get my amygdala pinging in distress

It hasn't affected me personally, I have never been to Ukraine and indeed have never met a Ukrainian. I'm not worried about nuclear war (not yet at least) I have always found it hard if not impossible to worry about things I can't control.
Spoke to Youngest Q on Sunday, she knows a Ukrainian student at Uni and loads of them including her had a day trip to London on Saturday (first time she has been without us) to hurl abuse at the Russian Embassy and march outside Downing St.
Following it closely on the news (CNN is LOADS better than the Beeb) and when it comes to cheering from the sidelines I am definitely on Team Zelensky not Team Putin.

sorry, i don't want to get into an argument but for me this is a bit raw tbh.
There’s no need for an argument. We’re just sharing how we feel as individuals and that will vary, especially when our experiences have differed.

Just thinking, is it worth moving this from world politics into one of the closed forums? I also reckon we should probably do/have done that with the comparable coronavirus thread but I appreciate that one's a bit horse/stable door now.

This reminds me of Polish guy I knew in London. He loathed Ukrainians. His Grandmother only just escaped from Ukrainian nationalists at end of WW2. She was warned they were coming to attack her Polish village. So fled.

During WW2 and just after there was conflict between Ukrainians and Poles. With Ukrainian nationalists trying to ethnically cleanse Ukraine of Poles.

His family were rehoused in what post WW2 became western Poland. Made up of former German territory. Poland losing its eastern lands. Which were mixed Polish / Ukrainian.

Was thinking of what he would think of what's happening now. He had no love of Russians either.

Went back after Brexit vote. He had children here. Decided he wanted there future back home. As he wasn't sure his children growing up here would be welcome in long term

I work with a Czech and a Romanian (immigrants like me). They are obviously worried if the war spreads. Myself personally nothing. Although i have to admit this situation worries me far more than either gulf war because of the potential nuclear outcome.

My wife is German. She is quite worried, for her family in Germany, but also because she grew up there during the Cold War.

Not in Ukraine but Russia, a work colleague has a brother in Moscow who is trying and failing to leave. Made even harder as even if he manages it, can his Russian wife leave, and will she want to leave her elderly parents, who wouldn't leave if they could. They are very worried and trying to get plane tickets to them as there's no way there atm of getting hold of that amount of money.

I don't know why, but beyond all the bombing it was a video of the panic at Kyiv train station that snapped something in me. It's tragic and awful and you're powerless.

My parents have offered space in their house in Slovakia to some family of a Ukrainian friend. The family have now reached it after 4 days of travelling, thankfully. My parents' friend, O, is still in Ukraine with her British husband - he's been updating on FB. They are in the North somewhere fairly rural but he's said fighting seems to be getting closer again so they might make a move now.

It might make sense to see if they can make it to Slovakia and maybe see if they can get O's family into UK. I think it's her niece and nephew and because UK are being twats they won't consider that as ground for admission :mad:

Also a bit worried as I think O has a medical condition that needs regular treatment so she needs to get somewhere that can happen.

My mother’s family was Jewish refugee, Aunts Friedl and Marta were kinder transport. The plight of refugees is still scarring the family memories. Seeing this, and seeing the awful parallels to pre WW2, is very depressing.

In the thirties the U.K. had more sympathy towards war refugees than it does now. This also saddens me.

Being in the profession that I was, I know people all over the world. I fear for those I know in Russia because of what is possible when this becomes worse.

I think of my Polish friends who are living close to the border, and are being called up. I think about my friend who, after years of trying, has finally got her little girl, and now is watching, and trying to help, refugees crossing the nearby border.

I think of all these things, and more, and find myself with tears in my eyes thinking of the suffering taking place, and still to come.

As I mentioned earlier, we have a developer colleague in Ukraine who we have been in touch with and trying to help out as best we can. He recommended the following charity if anyone is interested in helping:

One option is donating to the Come Back Alive (Povernys Zhyvym), one of the most accountable and trustworthy charities working for the military in Ukraine since 2014. The charity has been providing the military with auxiliary equipment, specialized software, drones, personal body protection, training, and other supplies ever since the foundation’s inception. - How to help the Ukrainian Army

Back
Top Bottom