Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I am spending a fortune on food!

Karl Masks

Birds Angel Delight
apropos of nothing.

It's just extraordinary when I think about it. It's all whole foods, no junk/choccy biscuits and creme eggs. No takeaways.

I eat a lot of nuts and have an avocado a day as well as fish and poultry (I can't really make vegan work for me).

Just frightening to think how expensive things are these days. I order from Morrisons, whom I suppose are not wildly dearer than anywhere else. If I need something quickly I have to go to the local corner/convenience place. Sadly that's now a branch of the COOP who seem to be three times as expensive, for some reason.

I've recently switch to Aldi instead of Tesco, it's a bit further to drive, but the savings are well worth it.

According to 'Which?' and a trolly of 72 like-for-like items, in Feb. 2024, Morrisons are indeed one of the most expensive -

1710768730606.png

Yeah, I am a bit surprised that Iceland didn't in the 'Which?' list, probably because the choice is more limited on non-frozen foods, so hard to compare to the others.

I always get pissed off that there isn't enough frozen food in smaller supermarkets. There always seem to be an entire aisle just for booze but just two fridge freezers in the corner for actually more useful frozen food. Half of which is filled with ice cream. On more than one occasion I've not been able to get some peas or sweetcorn.

Does appear at one point 2017-2018 morrisons was the cheapest. I'm always a bit not sure on these things as my experiences of actually buying stuff has not really matched whatever their list must be since it obviously does not match what I am buying. Couldn't actually see the list on the which link at all.

Whilst we're on this expensive food topic. Not in response to the OP, more of a PSA.

If you need access to cheaper food, look out for local 'food clubs'. I only mention this if people aren't aware of them. They offer an alternative to food banks and the perceived stigma some have about visiting one.

Generally they're membership only and you pay a nominal amount per week or visit, I've seen this range from £3 up to £9, and this allows you to take X items or bags from the club. You generally get food worth a lot more than what you've paid. Usually donated from local organisations/supermarkets etc.

EggCup is one that operates up North

Dunno about others but your local Council or food bank can point you at them if there is one local to you.

Our grocery bills are shocking at the moment and we're having to think about cutbacks. I used to have time to go to Lidl quite frequently but now I don't so we mostly get groceries delivered. None of the options for that are cheap after the inflation of recent years. Two adults and the weekly shop gets above £100 shockingly easily, then we're still getting bits and bobs at local shops beyond that.

Items that were commonly £1 jumped to £1.25 without any incremental rise. Just 25% overnight. Even the likes of poundland no longer have evrything for £1. I really do feel as if I am being robbed when I go to the shop. Especially as I tend to do my shop daily after work and see prices jumping up and down overnight. The WAS/NOW labelling is mostly fiction. It feels as if they can really charge what they like.

I've started having to send the butler to M+S for them.
Butler? You pleb. Mine are wafted in on golden sun rays bathing an army of specially reared servant swans. They are bred from asiatic stock by nubian princesses defenestrated when my ancestors challenged their high king by correctly guessing the day's countdown conundrum

Butler? You pleb. Mine are wafted in on golden sun rays bathing an army of specially reared servant swans. They are bred from asiatic stock by nubian princesses defenestrated when my ancestors challenged their high king by correctly guessing the day's countdown conundrum
Times are hard, I'm down to my last three yachts.

Back
Top Bottom