Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Food disgust test

I have a small gripe with their explanations at the end as to when and why various disgust responses evolved. Many of them evolved long before humans in our non-human ancestors. They certainly didn't all evolve in prehistoric modern human times. Too many people still get this point wrong.

Researchers can’t yet say that disease-driven disgust is definitely universal. But so far, “in every place that it’s been looked for, it’s been found,” says Dana Hawley, an ecologist at Virginia Tech. Bonobos rebuff banana slices that have been situated too close to scat; scientists have spotted mother chimps wiping the bottoms of their young. Kangaroos eschew patches of grass that have been freckled with feces. Dik-diks—pointy-faced antelopes that weigh about 10 pounds apiece—sequester their waste in dunghills, potentially to avoid contaminating the teeny territories where they live. Bullfrog tadpoles flee from their fungus-infested pondmates; lobsters steer clear of crowded dens during deadly virus outbreaks. Nematodes, no longer than a millimeter, wriggle away from their dinner when they chemically sense that it’s been contaminated with bad microbes. Even dung beetles will turn their nose up at feces that seem to pose an infectious risk.

A ‘Distinctly Human’ Trait That Might Actually Be Universal

food-disgust

At 36% it would seem I am more fussy than I thought I was

I'm vegan at the moment, but I don't rule out eating fish and other seafood in the future, and the odd bit of cheese for cultural integration...
I will hopefully get a bit less squeamish about insects once I'm growing my own food ...

But at the moment I wouldn't go in someone's house or a restaurant - let alone trust the food hygiene ...

I mostly cook all the supermarket veggies I buy, so never wash them, but I'll also eat raw unwashed carrots or lettuce once it's been in the fridge for a few days...

Your food disgust is average (56.5%).
food-disgust

Last edited:
food-disgust

I'll eat most things as long as youve washed your hands, not sneezed on it and cut the mold off

Mould in cooked tomato can be deadly, its the most common source of botulism
I wonder if this explains something that I've puzzled over for decades. I once had the misfortune of finding an empty tin of spaghetti hoops that had slipped under the radar in the kitchen, as it were. It must have been there for months. When I found it during a cleanout, it had two dead teabags in it, and I noticed there were couple of black spots on the inside of the tin.

I couldn't really investigate further, because the smell hit me. It was, quite literally, the most appalling stench I've ever experienced, and I'm including decomposed human body here. I barely managed to chuck it into a bag and throw the bag out. But I've wondered for years how what barely amounted to a scraping of tomato sauce, with or without teabags, could produce something as powerful as that.

I wonder if this explains something that I've puzzled over for decades. I once had the misfortune of finding an empty tin of spaghetti hoops that had slipped under the radar in the kitchen, as it were. It must have been there for months. When I found it during a cleanout, it had two dead teabags in it, and I noticed there were couple of black spots on the inside of the tin.

I couldn't really investigate further, because the smell hit me. It was, quite literally, the most appalling stench I've ever experienced, and I'm including decomposed human body here. I barely managed to chuck it into a bag and throw the bag out. But I've wondered for years how what barely amounted to a scraping of tomato sauce, with or without teabags, could produce something as powerful as that.
The worst thing I've ever smelled (which I've posted about before) was a pan with some cooked rice along with some cooking water that had fallen behind the fridge to rest on the heat exchanger and sat there festering for a few days. The smell was beyond appalling - made you instantly retch. The whole thing went straight in the bin - no way I was going to attempt to clean that.

Could be. I read that a high concentration of botulism can cause infection through contact, airborne spores as well as ingestion
It's spectacularly toxic to be fair

According to an article published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, a single gram of botulinum toxin in crystalline form, “evenly dispersed and inhaled, would kill more than 1 million people.”
mmm...tasty botulinium toxin

Back
Top Bottom