Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I am getting very annoyed with littering.

There is a fridge in the middle of the pavement near my house at the moment.
It keeps being moved to different spots on the pavement.
It is ridiculous as all you need to do is call the council, arrange for them to pick up your large item of rubbish and they will come on an agreed day.

Depending on the council, there'd be a charge, so someone may be attempting to dodge it.

I agree that litterers are anti-social and irresponsible, but to dismiss the role of the fast-food corporations is to miss some of the point of the OP..
Some of whom are very lax about enforcing their obligation to keep the immediate area around their outlets free of their branded wrapping and packaging.

I've just realised how this thread is very old-school Liberal/LD, litter, dog-fouling..whatever next, potholes?

Someone round here (Hither Green) continually lets there dog shit either outside my place or one or two doors down - been here nearly two years and still not caught them at it - I'm so angry I have visions of picking up and slinging the shit at them, bit extreme I know but been going on for too long - plus I've stood it in several times coming home from the pub!

We all have stories ...

(a) Some lout in 1980's Wimbledon chucks his chip wrappings onto pavement -(from a car) , I sweep it up and fling it back into his "motor" - I f++k off PDQ - much abuse...
(b) Some old girl - same area - encourages dog to shit on pavement Ask her where she lives -so I can come back and crap on her doorstep.

Nothing changes - much the same as before - except there is more material and more venues to throw around these days.

I had been thinking about posting a similar thread to this recently, because I despair of my species on a daily basis as I see the quantities of stuff discarded in public spaces. The most common items seem to be takeaway polystyrene, drinks cans - particularly those vile-looking energy drinks - and cigarette ends, the last of which I don't think has been mentioned here yet.

I did read something recently, I think in the Indie, saying the annual cost to local authorities to clear up what they do is approaching £1b. As someone who works for an LA, I know we've had our pips squeezed across central government funding, which accounts for most of our income, in the last five years. Whether this contributes to a decreased level of clean-up could be open to debate, but I shouldn't imagine it helps.

nb. I am not suggesting blame be apportioned to LAs or Westminster for litter.

I fucking hate littering too and do confront people about it. Saw some lads do it on the bus once and got them to pick it up. Chucking it on the floor is bad enough outside but on public transport is just disgusting, especially when there's half eaten food in containers.
Another depressing instance of littering is when you go for a lovely walk in the countryside and reach a particularly beautiful spot such as the summit of a hill or a waterfall and your experience is tainted by the sight of some tatty witch's knickers caught in a tree forlornly flapping.

because I despair of my species on a daily basis as I see the quantities of stuff discarded in public spaces.
and that's the worst of it. i liked the idea that we are all fundamentally good, often misguided, but good people. but when i see flash 'arry in his immaculate beamer put a bargin bucket's worth of rubbish on a grass verge i struggle to maintain the idea.

anyway, this thread has been cathartic. to read the rage of others is helpful. i feel more solidarity now when walking out into my local streets that are caked with the stuff. for every man who lets his dog shit anywhere, thank god there is another who would throw said shit back at him.

power to the people.

Do people pick it up, assuming it's safe? I very often do, especially the recyclables when I know I'm near a recycling bin or my house or work.

People doing it in 20 mile zones near schools, when parked cars line both sides. Hanging is too good for them.
there's a part of me that actually fully 100% agrees. it's a part that scares me.

but really, it is fucking, fucking low, isn't it. i mean how much more of a cunt can someone be?

worse than hitler and pol pot.

Do people pick it up, assuming it's safe? I very often do, especially the recyclables when I know I'm near a recycling bin or my house or work.
i do a weekly litter pick on my road. got the picker up thing and shit. also part of a local community group who campaign/do litter picks and other stuff in the community.

I feel the same way about littering as I do about able bodied people parking in disabled bays, that is to say I strongly disapprove, but not enough to get into a confrontation about it.

I feel the same way about littering as I do about able bodied people parking in disabled bays, that is to say I strongly disapprove, but not enough to get into a confrontation about it.
which is just as well, as you would not be able to tell if someone has a disability just by looking at them, and you could end up with egg on your face and a pissed off disabled person.

which is just as well, as you would not be able to tell if someone has a disability just by looking at them, and you could end up with egg on your face and a pissed off disabled person.
I think when a souped up tinted windows Punto with special alloys low profile tyres and a massive sound system roars into a disabled space emerging two track suited youth who trot lithely into the local store there is quite a good chance the driver is not in fact disabled!

I think when a souped up tinted windows Punto with special alloys low profile tyres and a massive sound system roars into a disabled space emerging two track suited youth who trot lithely into the local store there is quite a good chance the driver is not in fact disabled!
You never know. Many disabilities are 'invisible'. Look for a badge before judging.

Back
Top Bottom