Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

I am getting very annoyed with littering.

our council get a battering over and over and over for "the state of our streets" and it's just sad and annoying that the real people behind are just strolling about without a care in the world.

skyscraper101 Just can't imagine the police or support officers actually stopping dog walkers to see if they have the 'means to pick up after their dog' its not workable - or it could be but authorities ain't going to stop dog walkers and check.

skyscraper101 Just can't imagine the police or support officers actually stopping dog walkers to see if they have the 'means to pick up after their dog' its not workable - or it could be but authorities ain't going to stop dog walkers and check.

sure but whats that got to do with a 25% decrease in people being charged for using mobiles while driving?

If anything it suggests that fines do work, no?

In my area we have -

People in nice flash cars pull up by the side of the road, eat their nice meal and then just pop all of the rubbish on the side of the road.
We have blokes with vans rammed full of stuff, mainly house clearance items, pull up by the side of the road and just carefully unload it on the pavement, and drive off, left all in neat little piles.

I have walked past people who stroll along with a trail of dropped fast food wrappers behind them.
We have people who go shopping at sainsburys, wheel trolley home with food in, and then just leave it outside their house.
We have people with entire 3 piece suites, lamps, etc, in their front gardens.
We have people who literally use their front gardens as the bin. Open the door. Toss out into the front garden.
The poor council spend the whole day driving around cleaning up after them.

I am 34. I should be young enough to not care. I should be empathetic enough to think that these people have other more pressing matters (it is a deprived area)...

...but I just can't. To me it is one of the most grotesque crimes you can do - to destroy the environment that other people live in. I want to go up to each one of them and say "pick that up you dirty fucking cunt!" which is probably disproportionate.

There is no excuse for them, is there? or Help me be more understanding.

I've fantasied about baseball bats, lurking in dark corners waiting from some to drop, then whack!

Maybe I should move area.

My wife has this magical ability to just ignore it.

Should I be angry, or should I just ignore it?

What on earth would be a solution to stop people making areas filthy? does it correlate with deprivation or something else?

The "poor council" are part of the problem, and always have been. If you tender out street cleansing to the lowest bidder, your street-cleansing services suffer - they become less efficient and more infrequent - the same goes for collection of household waste, and for enforcement of anti-flytipping measures. This isn't just an austerity issue, either. it's been a problem for decades. Add to that a serious lack of civil penalties for most forms of littering, and all that's left are moral arguments at a time when those who should serve as role models - "the great and the good" - are often amoral, grasping and self-serving.

sure but whats that got to do with a 25% decrease in people being charged for using mobiles while driving?

If anything it suggests that fines do work, no?

May have got the context wrong was only partially listening and cause I cycle see more and more on the phone when driving.

Still though, can't see many being asked about having bags with them.

LOL. Of course they should. But does that excuse the cunts who litter? I've seen people walk out of McDonalds and chuck their wrappers on the floor when there's been THREE bins within three yards, two of them provided by the establishment and one by the council.Why do people like you ALWAYS try to downplay the actions of fuckwits and try to put the blame on corporations, the council, the state? I suspect you're terrified of criticising anybody who may have a link, no matter how tenuous, to the working class.
people like you
:hmm:

As it happens I don't think that I've described litterers, of whatever class, as anything other than anti-social polluters. That said, the OPer has said the businesses concerned have no responsibility whatsoever, which I find strange considering how outraged (s)he appears to be by the problem of fast-food packaging litter.

Polluter pays (or extended producer responsibility) is defined by the OECD as...
a concept where manufacturers and importers of products should bear a significant degree of responsibility for the environmental impacts of their products throughout the product life-cycle, including upstream impacts inherent in the selection of materials for the products, impacts from manufacturers’ production process itself, and downstream impacts from the use and disposal of the products. Producers accept their responsibility when designing their products to minimise life-cycle environmental impacts, and when accepting legal, physical or socio-economic responsibility for environmental impacts that cannot be eliminated by design.

:hmm:

As it happens I don't think that I've described litterers, of whatever class, as anything other than anti-social polluters. That said, the OPer has said the businesses concerned have no responsibility whatsoever, which I find strange considering how outraged (s)he appears to be by the problem of fast-food packaging litter.

Polluter pays (or extended producer responsibility) is defined by the OECD as...
of course i agree with all that.

but that has little to do with anyone strolling down our street and slinging their half finished kebab in my front garden, does it?

i can remember it was daily drummed in at school and i think that was fairly effective. assemblies, classes, during play time, the anti littering message was always there. a good thing of course.

of course i agree with all that.

I agree that there is no excuse for throwing food into your garden; that is just the action of an anti-social individual. But many fast-food businesses operations rely on far too much packaging, and it is these corporations that will be at the forefront of tax dodging and lobbying for lower corporate taxes that compromises the state/local state's ability to clear up after their profit-taking.

Cycle path goes past my house and I'm surprised at how many cyclists litter, too, although I'm not quite sure why I'm surprised. I used to do a monthly litter run up and down the road but I've got out of the habit :oops: must reinstate it, takes little effort since i'm out with the dog anyway.

I pick up shit on my street and bin it as I pass available bins. One particularly cunty resident banged on his window as I stuck a McDonalds bag in his bin on his path as I passed.this is the same bloke who came out and gave me a Paddington bear when some spray from me washing the car went onto his car, so he has form

I was part of a gang working trackside a few years ago when some %*!* threw an apple core and half-full can of pop out of the passing train. Even at 10mph that hurt ! my mate who got more of the pop needed to wash his hair twice to get rid of it.

There is a fridge in the middle of the pavement near my house at the moment.
It keeps being moved to different spots on the pavement.
It is ridiculous as all you need to do is call the council, arrange for them to pick up your large item of rubbish and they will come on an agreed day.

A woman I used to work with started getting shitty nappies thrown over the fence from next door into her garden at one point.

Not giving people a burger wrapped in styrofoam in a bag would certainly help stop some littering.

Feck off, a small part of its down to wrapping, the rest is.all on odious cunts.

So far on my trip around the forest today I've seen many bottles/cans, a soiled nappy, and a tin foil wrapper.

If your going to eat or drink something it takes little effort to make provisions to dispose of the rubbish. If you don't, your a dick.

It is ridiculous as all you need to do is call the council, arrange for them to pick up your large item of rubbish and they will come on an agreed day.
Where I live it's 3 items for £15 - that being the minimum payment.
I paid the council online and put out the shell of a washing machine and a fridge last week - on the front path and someone helped themselves to the washing machine but only removed the fridge's compressor - thereby making a hole in the ozone layer ...
Luckily I had other things lined up to take the place of the washing m/c ...

Feck off, a small part of its down to wrapping, the rest is.all on odious cunts.

So far on my trip around the forest today I've seen many bottles/cans, a soiled nappy, and a tin foil wrapper.

If your going to eat or drink something it takes little effort to make provisions to dispose of the rubbish. If you don't, your a dick.

I agree that litterers are anti-social and irresponsible, but to dismiss the role of the fast-food corporations is to miss some of the point of the OP..
People in nice flash cars pull up by the side of the road, eat their nice meal and then just pop all of the rubbish on the side of the road.

I have walked past people who stroll along with a trail of dropped fast food wrappers behind them.

23 quid for a fridge here in Tory Havering. Hence my garden fridge.

Back
Top Bottom