Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hot upcoming gigs

They blew the Windmill apart last night. Great evening.
I liked the way they jumped into the crowd whilst still playing! However it was a bit sick making seeing all the middle aged men drooling over the guitar player doing her acrobatics:rolleyes:Did that happen at the Windmill?

I liked the way they jumped into the crowd whilst still playing! However it was a bit sick making seeing all the middle aged men drooling over the guitar player doing her acrobatics:rolleyes:Did that happen at the Windmill?

We'd a younger-than-average crowd for a garage gig with lots of girls there, due to the supports being mostly girly.

the unthanks are doing a tour of dock towns with their new show, 'songs from the shipyards'. two shows on the same night in preston at the continental, 7 & 9 pm on 23rd october.

Seeing them on Friday week in the Royal Festival Hall or the other place, on Southbank anyway - tickets sold out very quickly - to members 1st, I managed to get 2 but in different parts, so me and mrs21 won't be sitting together :(

to be fair, if i go out and see any band then i am probably going be looking at the singer a lot, whatever they look like, male or female old or young, particularly if they are doing something crazy! i wasn't at the show tho so can't really comment. i know all the band had a great time there anyway!

Tall Ships with Dads Rock at the Bowery, Sheffield, this friday.

Free! as well, which is nice (they're doing more gigs around the country too, but they're not free).

Dreadful names, but well worth checking out

The Coup, Kev Choice, Buggsy and Skitz - Trinity, Bristol 27th October Only £10​
INCENDIARY HIP HOP BAND MAKE THEIR BRISTOL DEBUT AT SPECIAL TRINITY GIG

Influential hip hop act The Coup make their Bristol debut this month, as part of a short UK tour, their first since forming in the early 1990s.

The Trinity event on SATURDAY 27TH OCTOBER features an evening performance with a full live band, as well as a FREE daytime gig for Under 16s at 5pm.

Not heard of the Coup? Where have you been? Next to Public Enemy, they are probably the best known political hip hop band in the world. The group first exploded on to the scene in 1993 with their debut album Kill My Landlord, a beautifully subversive blast of hip-hop that utilized Boots Riley’s gifted wordplay and addressed topics ranging from racism to police brutality and class warfare. Described as one of the “10 most influential people” by Vibe Magazine, Riley has collaborated over the years with Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine), Atari Teenage Riot and more. He is a prominent figure in the Occupy Movement, participating in actions and speaking out throughout the world.

Riley is a born radical. Raised in Oakland California, his parents were active in the civil rights struggle. His father was a member of the NAACP and the Progressive Labor Party and participated in the San Francisco State University strike. “He never pushed his views on me,” Riley says. “But I also knew that I would never be in trouble for my politics. I knew that when I organised a walk-out in high school I didn’t have to worry about my parents being mad at me.”

Since The Coup’s formation, they have released five visionary albums, each forging a different and equally inventive sound. The constants throughout have been Riley’s shrewd social observations and the group’s relentless energy exemplified on stage by the electrifying presence and Tina Turner-like stylings of long time singer Silk-E.

Their latest offering Sorry To Bother You is the long awaited follow up to the band’s critically acclaimed album Pick A Better Weapon, which the Mojo described as “smart, sensual, self-loving and self-critical, pissed-off and hilarious” and moved Billboard to call the band “the best hip-hop act of the last decade”. The album, which features guest appearances by Vernon Reid, Anti-Flag, Killer Mike, Jolie Holland and Joe Henry, merges a punk urgency with danceable beats and social commentary. It might draw from the past but it never sounds anything other than futuristic.

The Trinity event also features up and coming Bristolian rapper Buggsy and UK hip hop legend DJ Skitz. At a recession-busting £10 this represents unbelievable value for money. For both Bristol’s legion of hip hop heads, and anyone interested in the ideas behind the Occupy Movement, this is a gig not to miss.

Latest tunes:

Magic Clap.

The Guillotine

THE COUP "Land Of 7 Billion Dances" Turf Feinz, iDummy, Ladia

Tickets available at

Bristol Ticket Shop (http://www.bristolticketshop.co.uk/)
Ticketweb (http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/)
Skiddle.com (http://www.skiddle.com/)

Bristol Record Shops

Idle Hands (Stokes Croft)
Rise Records (Queens Rd., Clifton)
Cooshtie (Park St. Clifton)
Genesis (Stapleton Rd. Easton)

There will be some in the Plough, Easton this weekend as well.

Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/events/221459547981677/?ref=ts&fref=ts

This is going to be a great gig and a rare chance to see one of the best revolutionary Hip Hop bands around.

The Coup, Kev Choice, Buggsy and Skitz - Trinity, Bristol 27th October Only £10​
INCENDIARY HIP HOP BAND MAKE THEIR BRISTOL DEBUT AT SPECIAL TRINITY GIG

Influential hip hop act The Coup make their Bristol debut this month, as part of a short UK tour, their first since forming in the early 1990s.

The Trinity event on SATURDAY 27TH OCTOBER features an evening performance with a full live band, as well as a FREE daytime gig for Under 16s at 5pm.

Not heard of the Coup? Where have you been? Next to Public Enemy, they are probably the best known political hip hop band in the world. The group first exploded on to the scene in 1993 with their debut album Kill My Landlord, a beautifully subversive blast of hip-hop that utilized Boots Riley’s gifted wordplay and addressed topics ranging from racism to police brutality and class warfare. Described as one of the “10 most influential people” by Vibe Magazine, Riley has collaborated over the years with Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine), Atari Teenage Riot and more. He is a prominent figure in the Occupy Movement, participating in actions and speaking out throughout the world.

Riley is a born radical. Raised in Oakland California, his parents were active in the civil rights struggle. His father was a member of the NAACP and the Progressive Labor Party and participated in the San Francisco State University strike. “He never pushed his views on me,” Riley says. “But I also knew that I would never be in trouble for my politics. I knew that when I organised a walk-out in high school I didn’t have to worry about my parents being mad at me.”

Since The Coup’s formation, they have released five visionary albums, each forging a different and equally inventive sound. The constants throughout have been Riley’s shrewd social observations and the group’s relentless energy exemplified on stage by the electrifying presence and Tina Turner-like stylings of long time singer Silk-E.

Their latest offering Sorry To Bother You is the long awaited follow up to the band’s critically acclaimed album Pick A Better Weapon, which the Mojo described as “smart, sensual, self-loving and self-critical, pissed-off and hilarious” and moved Billboard to call the band “the best hip-hop act of the last decade”. The album, which features guest appearances by Vernon Reid, Anti-Flag, Killer Mike, Jolie Holland and Joe Henry, merges a punk urgency with danceable beats and social commentary. It might draw from the past but it never sounds anything other than futuristic.

The Trinity event also features up and coming Bristolian rapper Buggsy and UK hip hop legend DJ Skitz. At a recession-busting £10 this represents unbelievable value for money. For both Bristol’s legion of hip hop heads, and anyone interested in the ideas behind the Occupy Movement, this is a gig not to miss.

Latest tunes:

Magic Clap.

The Guillotine

THE COUP "Land Of 7 Billion Dances" Turf Feinz, iDummy, Ladia

Tickets available at

Bristol Ticket Shop (http://www.bristolticketshop.co.uk/)
Ticketweb (http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/)
Skiddle.com (http://www.skiddle.com/)

Bristol Record Shops

Idle Hands (Stokes Croft)
Rise Records (Queens Rd., Clifton)
Cooshtie (Park St. Clifton)
Genesis (Stapleton Rd. Easton)

There will be some in the Plough, Easton this weekend as well.

Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/events/221459547981677/?ref=ts&fref=ts

This is going to be a great gig and a rare chance to see one of the best revolutionary Hip Hop bands around.

Do keep up love:p ....already posted about this ages ago....cant wait!!

I'm very excited about seeing TOY tonight. They have the same nervous affect on my stomach as Joy Division does...:cool:

Have you seen em before then? I'm off to Manchester next week. The album is a bit patchy but all the reports I hear from mates tell me they're great live.

No tonight will be the first time. Never seen Joy Division either..
I like the album listened to it around 3-4 times only though.

uk-1028-391796-65981-front.jpg

318762_10151192445262155_247521327_n.jpg

Open Decks night in Croydon this coming Friday 26th October, loosely based as a tribute to John Peel (it's the anniversary of his death on 25th) but mainly as an excuse to have an open decks, 'bring your own' party. Black Boobie from Senser and some other guest DJs will be appearing but really it's an open invite to anyone who wants to bring some alternative records down. You'll all be most welcome!

FREE ENTRY, 7pm-1am

The Green Dragon, 58-60 High Street, Croydon (tel) 0208 667 0684

https://www.facebook.com/events/286037131500901/

Have you seen em before then? I'm off to Manchester next week. The album is a bit patchy but all the reports I hear from mates tell me they're great live.

I really enjoyed the gig..totally worth the £8 for the ticket. Lush shoe-gazing psychedelia. The support Charlie Boyer and The Voyeurs are worth seeing too.

I saw Acid Mothers Temple at Night & Day Cafe last night (ears are still buzzing) and I'm looking forward to Bat For Lashes at the Cathedral tonite....

Django Django tonight was second night of tour of fuck knows where else they are playing, but was shit hot. I The album but better, and four really talented blokes having fun

Django Django tonight was second night of tour of fuck knows where else they are playing, but was shit hot. I The album but better, and four really talented blokes having fun
Saw them the night before. Bloody annoying, the sound was absolutely dire, fair few folks walked out. Shame, they seemed to be playing fine and having fun.

16/11/12- Senser & Reknaw doing a party on that boat they used for the doomed Bloc weekender this summer.

Looks pretty good. Can't get the website to load, though.

Again....
548602_322133944551501_929819521_n.jpg

Oh wow!! They are amazing ...funky hip hop with an almost punky edge....so fucking cool!! Such lovely people they came round to my friends and we cooked for them:)

Sadly not loads of people at the gig and in retrospect the croft would have been a better size venue and in a better location imo. However people more aware of them now and Hopefully back in April.
I might nip down to their London gig tonight...

I saw them supporting the horrors. They were better than the horrors.

Not hard imo, The Horrors were one of my great let downs.

Saw Toy last night and they were better but not amazing, I loved it when they went off on one instrumentally but was a bit disappointed by the vocals. Maybe better in a different venue.

What was said, kali?

Well their general sentiments are good it just went on a bit long like -comedy chat between chuck D and Flav...and then towards the end it got a bit preachy-good sentiments but preachy crap makes me cringe (it was not far from everyone getting the lighters out:rolleyes:) and I'm aware that flavour flav is a wife beating cunt...apparently, so not impressed...and hmmmm I just wish they would use their influence and popularity to tackle violence towards women-cos they so could ...(that sounds ridiculous is it?) -maybe just from them....
Fuck I'm well sketchy this morning!! Heavy weekend;)

Oh wow!! They are amazing ...funky hip hop with an almost punky edge....so fucking cool!! Such lovely people they came round to my friends and we cooked for them:)

Sadly not loads of people at the gig and in retrospect the croft would have been a better size venue and in a better location imo. However people more aware of them now and Hopefully back in April.
I might nip down to their London gig tonight...
Glad you enjoyed it! Looking forward to seeing them this evening at Goldsmiths:)

Back
Top Bottom